US 2020 Election

• Please log in to reply
1108 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,122 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

The Trump campaign has raised nearly $25 million in 24 hours following Trump's announcement that he was seeking re-election.

Ronna McDaniel (@GOPChairwoman) released the following tweet early this morning:

@realDonaldTrump has raised a record breaking $24.8M in less than 24 hours for his re-election. The enthusiasm across the country for this President is unmatched and unlike anything we’ve ever seen! #trump2020 #KeepAmericaGreat

Biden raised $6.3 million on his first day, O'Rourke $6.1 million and Sanders $5.9 million.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,469 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

^You didn't include the rest of the money raised by the other 258 Democratic presidential candidates.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,122 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:21 AM

Give me a few months to tally it all up, would ya?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,598 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

The breakdown: $10.8M from "major donors," $8M through a phone campaign, and $6M in online donations. But get this: the average online donation was $44, so Trump was on par with each of the Dem candidates through these small donations alone.

#5 Wayne

Wayne
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

Here we go.

Just under an 1 1/2 years of unprecedented campaigning (just guessing).

#6 SamCB

SamCB
  • 643 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

^Arguably Trump has been actively campaigning throughout his entire term thus far. I think we've reached a point where he's never not-campaigning. (If campaigning is defined as talking himself up without regard for facts or greater values than his self interest, every single day). 

#7 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,598 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

^ Trump filed his re-election campaign documents on the same day he was inaugurated, and never really stopped having campaign rallies

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:29 PM

obama also did monthly fundraisers.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,122 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

Top conservative tweets following the Dem debate yesterday:

NBC allowing discredited conspiracy theorist Rachel Maddow to ask questions at the #DemDebate is peak NBC - @dbongino

BETO: I speak Spanish.

BOOKER: I can't believe you did my thing before me.

DE BLASIO: I have a black son.

BOOKER: I'm actually black tho, Bill.

KLOBUCHAR: ...Um, I have an uncle with a deer stand?

WARREN: *don't say it, don't say it* - @jason_howerton

Favorite moments of the night:

-Klobuchar bragging about her Uncle Dick

-Beto pretending to be Spanish

-Castro claiming that dudes can get pregnant

-NBC forgetting how microphones work

-Bald guy getting yelled at every time he tried to speak - @MattWalshBlog

#DemDebate recap:
✅Sen. Warren, you go first.
✅FREE THINGS GOOD!
✅Hablo Español.
✅ABORTION GOOD! CLIMATE CHANGE BAD!
✅Sen. Warren?
✅A question for you, Sen. Warren.
✅I'll let Sen. Warren respond.
✅Yo no creo en fronteras.
✅"I have a black son."
✅"LATINX!"
✅TRUMP BAD! - @michellemalkin

I dont know about you guys, but I thought the bravest, most courageous moment of the #DemDebate was when Julian Castro defended a transgender woman's right to have an abortion. - @TimRunsHisMouth

• Matt R. and RFS like this

Know it all.

#10 m3m

m3m
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:30 AM

My review of the candidates' performance in the first dem debate.

Good:   Booker / Castro / Warren

Meh:    Delaney / Inslee / Klobuchar / O'Rourke

Bad:    De Blasio / Gabbard 

Really Really Really Bad:    Ryan

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:44 AM

Did Warren speak Cherokee, and if so, was it Jeep Grand Cherokee or just Jeep Cherokee?

#12 m3m

m3m
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

My review of the candidates' performance in the second dem debate.

Good:   Harris / Buttigieg 

Meh:    Yang / Sanders / Gillibrand 

Bad:    Swalwell / Hickenlooper / Biden / Bennet

Really Really Really Bad:    Williamson

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,853 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

say what? pat buchanan wants to swap john bolton for tulsi gabbard
https://www.cnsnews....de-bolton-tulsi

#14 gstc84

gstc84
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:21 AM

My review of the candidates' performance in the second dem debate.

Good:   Harris / Buttigieg 

Meh:    Yang / Sanders / Gillibrand 

Bad:    Swalwell / Hickenlooper / Biden / Bennet

Really Really Really Bad:    Williamson

I'd probably swap Bennet and Yang, but otherwise I agree. And both of them are ultimately irrelevant also-rans anyway.

Warren and Castro were definitely the winners on Wednesday; Harris and Buttigieg last night. Time for 3/4 of the other folks to start withdrawing.

#15 RFS

RFS
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

Trump meets Kim Jong at the DMZ and becomes the first US president to enter North Korea

https://youtu.be/tlYsWT2Nob8

(No other appropriate thread to put this in)

#16 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,853 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

but wait, there's more. i can't say i blame the north koreans, considering all the military-industrial-intelligence complex assets in the US media though it sure doesn't look good for them

The incoming White House press secretary became embroiled in a scuffle with North Korean officials during a brawl between reporters and the country’s security guards.

Stephanie Grisham was left with bruises after chaotic scenes saw officials shoving and attempting to block the press.

The jostling came as Donald Trump became the first sitting US president to enter North Korean soil – stepping over from the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) to shake hands with the North Korean leader.

The fracas intensified as reporters tried to enter a room inside the Freedom House on the southern side of Panmunjom where Mr Trump and Kim Jong-un were meeting after exchanging initial handshakes on the border.

North Korean guards tried to physically prevent members of the US press pool from entering the room, pushing and shoving, and the Secret Service stepped in to intervene.

https://www.independ...z-a8981181.html

and then this

A new report shows one of the most popular websites about presidential contender Joe Biden is in fact a mocking dig at the former vice president created by a consultant for Republicans and President Donald Trump.

The New York Times reported about the website’s origins Saturday, saying it is designed to look like a pro-Biden website, but it actually mocks him through the use of gifs and various blurbs about Biden’s past unpopular positions like his opposition to court-ordered busing in the 1970s and his support for the Iraq war.

In the website’s fine print, it says it is a work of parody and paid for “BY AN American citizen FOR American citizens,” though it says it is not the work of any campaign.

The New York Times reports Republican strategist Patrick Mauldin, who makes digital content for Trump’s re-election campaign, is behind the site. Mauldin told the Times that he created the website independent of his work for the Trump campaign.

https://www.mediaite...ump-consultant/

Edited by amor de cosmos, 30 June 2019 - 11:03 AM.

#17 tommy

tommy
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

biden / harris 2020

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:20 PM

biden / harris 2020

that's certainly a possibility.

#19 satellite

satellite
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:40 PM

I wonder if Donald is prepping the field for a Trump-Trump 2020 ticket....

"Donald Trump has been accused of taking nepotism to alarming new depths after giving his daughter, Ivanka, a prominent role in meetings with the G20 and Kim Jong-un."

https://www.theguard...-korea-nepotism

#20 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,853 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

In its ruling, the Supreme Court held that federal courts can do nothing about extreme partisan gerrymandering, in which incumbents draw voting districts to ensure that the party in power stays in power indefinitely. With this decision, the court sanctioned an insidious practice in which politicians pick their voters, rather than the other way around.

The two cases before the court clearly demonstrate the egregious nature of extreme gerrymandering. In the North Carolina case, the state legislature and governor enacted a redistricting plan designed to ensure that ten of thirteen of North Carolina’s congressional seats went to Republicans, even though Democratic candidates typically receive about half of the votes statewide. The architect of the redistricting plan was crystal clear on the intent:

We are “draw[ing] the maps to give a partisan advantage to 10 Republicans and 3 Democrats because [i] d[o] not believe it[’s] possible to draw a map with 11 Republicans and 2 Democrats.” I think electing Republicans is better than electing Democrats. So I drew this map to help foster what I think is better for the country.”

https://blog.ucsusa....ck-on-democracy

https://blog.ucsusa....-justice-scalia

The state of Pennsylvania is on the cusp of approving a major piece of voter suppression legislation ahead of the 2020 election, despite a Democrat serving as governor.

The bill, passed largely along party lines with nearly universal opposition from Democrats in the state legislature, is on the governor’s desk. If signed into law, it would ban what’s known as “straight-ticket” voting, which allows a voter to cast a ballot for all Democrats, or all Republicans, at once. Because precincts in Democratic areas of the state, particularly in Philadelphia, are heavily under-resourced relative to the size of the voting population, banning straight-ticket voting would mean much longer lines at the polls, as each voter needs more time behind the curtain. Studies have shown the longer lines depress Democrat turnout significantly.

The ban is a longtime goal of Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel. In late 2015, Republicans succeeded in banning straight-ticket voting in Michigan, spurring litigation that lasted for a couple of years.

https://theintercept...-ticket-voting/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

TransplantedEdmontonian