US 2020 Election

• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

Trump has already commandeered a $100 million war chest.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

John Hickenlooper is the first 2020 Democratic drop-out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,799 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

names of owners of manufacturers of voting machines are trade secrets

Recently, the North Carolina State Board of Elections asked suppliers of electronic voting machines a simple question: who owns you? (h/t Annemarie Bridy)

On June 14, 2019, the State Board of Elections requested that your companies disclose any owners or shareholders with a 5% or greater interest or share in each of the vendor’s company, any subsidiary company, of the vendor, and the vendor’s parent company.

This seems like very basic information -- information the Board should know and should be able to pass on to the general public. After all, these are the makers of devices used by the public while electing their representatives. They should know who's running these companies and who their majority stakeholders are. If something goes wrong (and something always does), they should know who's ultimately responsible for the latest debacle.

It's not like the state was asking the manufacturers to cough up code and machine schematics. All it wanted to know is the people behind the company nameplates. But the responses the board received indicate voting system manufacturers believe releasing any info about their companies' compositions will somehow compromise their market advantage.

Hart Intercivic said letting the public know that the company is owned by H.I.G. Hart, LLC and Gregg L. Burt is a fact that would devalue the company if it were made public.

Hart InterCivic, a corporation that derives independent actual value from this information not being generally known or readily ascertainable and makes reasonable efforts to maintain the secrecy of this information, requests that it be designated as a trade secret pursuant to G.S. § 132-1.2(1)d. and G.S. § 66-152(3).

https://www.techdirt...e-secrets.shtml

#24 gstc84

gstc84
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:41 AM

John Hickenlooper is the first 2020 Democratic drop-out.

Hickenlooper's still in. I think most of his staff/advisors quit, but he's stubbornly refusing to throw in the towel.

Eric Swalwell dropped out a couple days ago though.

#25 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,799 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

WASHINGTON—Pennsylvania’s message was clear: The state was taking a big step to keep its elections from being hacked in 2020. Last April, its top election official told counties they had to update their systems. So far, nearly 60% have taken action, with $14.15 million of mostly federal funds helping counties buy brand-new electoral systems.

But there’s a problem: Many of these new systems still run on old software that will soon be outdated and more vulnerable to hackers.

An Associated Press analysis has found that like many counties in Pennsylvania, the vast majority of 10,000 election jurisdictions nationwide use Windows 7 or an older operating system to create ballots, program voting machines, tally votes and report counts.

That’s significant because Windows 7 reaches its “end of life” on Jan. 14, meaning Microsoft stops providing technical support and producing “patches” to fix software vulnerabilities, which hackers can exploit. In a statement to the AP, Microsoft said Friday it would offer continued Windows 7 security updates for a fee through 2023.

Critics say the situation is an example of what happens when private companies ultimately determine the security level of election systems with a lack of federal requirements or oversight. Vendors say they have been making consistent improvements in election systems. And many state officials say they are wary of federal involvement in state and local elections.

It’s unclear whether the often hefty expense of security updates would be paid by vendors operating on razor-thin profit margins or cash-strapped jurisdictions. It’s also uncertain if a version running on Windows 10, which has more security features, can be certified and rolled out in time for primaries.

https://www.truthdig...anaylsis-shows/

#26 RFS

RFS
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:21 PM

DOJ has announced broad anti trust investigation into big tech

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:35 AM

It's Mueller Time.

If you're able to, you can watch the live feed at: https://www.youtube....h?v=8db5lriRfwM

Know it all.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:47 AM

This is a disaster.

Know it all.

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,973 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:53 AM

Republicans so far seem to be loudly performing for Trump rather than asking critical probing questions. 

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,973 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:59 AM

This is a disaster.

Said Chris Wallace at Fox News this morning. But what do you think?

#31 RFS

RFS
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

Republicans so far seem to be loudly performing for Trump rather than asking critical probing questions.

Projection

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,973 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:07 AM

^What I mean is that they are using up their entire time quota talking about things like the FBI lovers Page and Strzok knowing full well there's nothing Mueller is going to say about that one way or another. The only one who cares is Trump. Republican members aren't getting much traction on any line of questioning but I'm sure Trump is loving some of their performances on TV and that's really all that counts for him.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:07 AM

Said Chris Wallace at Fox News this morning. But what do you think?

I don't have cable so I don't know what any news anchors have said. I've been watching this thing live, though.

Mueller keeps telling the Democrats:

- I don't agree with your characterization

- I won't speak to this

- I don't recall

The hearing is going down in flames with Mueller stating repeatedly he was not obstructed and completed his investigation unencumbered.

Know it all.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:09 AM

The funniest part about this whole thing is the Democrats are reading passages from the report and asking if they're correct. Mueller just rolls his eyes.

Know it all.

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,973 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:12 AM

Mueller was clear he didn't want to testify and he isn't straying from his lane in his testimony. 

The big takeaway so far is that Trump was definitely not exonerated and that enough evidence shows he could be prosecuted for obstruction of justice once he leaves office and is unprotected by the OPC memo.

• tedward likes this

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

^What I mean is that they are using up their entire time quota talking about things like the FBI lovers Page and Strzok knowing full well there's nothing Mueller is going to say about that one way or another. The only one who cares is Trump. Republican members aren't getting much traction on any line of questioning but I'm sure Trump is loving some of their performances on TV and that's really all that counts for him.

Don't overthink it. This is just another ballet of no consequence.

The whole Russia thing was such a bust that even CNN's own poll on 2020 issues has Russia at 0% of responses.

Know it all.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

Mueller was clear he didn't want to testify and he isn't straying from his lane in his testimony. 

The big takeaway so far is that Trump was definitely not exonerated and that enough evidence shows he could be prosecuted for obstruction of justice once he leaves office and is unprotected by the OPC memo.

The big takeaway is Mueller sometimes sounds confused.

Edited

Know it all.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Reschentaler's questioning: Once again Mueller says "I don't agree with that," and "I'm not going to answer that," and "I'm not going to get into that," and "I can't speak to that." All in a row. Four questions. Four responses.

He also just responded "Actually I would disagree with you on that."

What a shipwreck.

Know it all.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:19 AM

Reschentaler just called him "un-American."  :confused:

Know it all.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:21 AM

Correa is reading passages from the report, asking if they're correct.

Mueller keeps saying: "correct."

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users