Continuing Cuts @ Rogers SportsNet

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:13 AM

As reported initially by Steve Simmons (Toronto Sun), and later picked up by local outlets like Puget Sound Radio, SportsNet continues swinging the staff cutting axe. Toronto radio open mike sports icon Bob McCown was the first high profile personality to be "retired" and now it appears HNIC's Don Cherry is done as well. Although he's 85 and well past his 'best before date', still for a generation of Canadian hockey fans he was a Saturday Night viewing staple.

McCown and Cherry are just part of a larger move at cost cutting at Rogers Media, which includes Sportsnet and other media properties, which are collectively bleeding money left and right due to vastly under-performing projected NHL playoff ratings vs what they paid for the rights to broadcast them.

#2 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:25 AM

Surprise surprise, Boston vs St Loius wasn't a big draw in Canada.

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:47 AM

Didn't help during the first 2 years of the agreement with the NHL and TO-based Rogers that the Leafs missed the playoffs altogether, and the last time the TML actually won a playoff series was 15 years ago. Fact is markets like Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver also wouldn't be big draws for a Toronto-centric viewing audience.

#4 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

Don Cherry has denied Simmons' report. No surprise really, Simmons has about zero credibility left at this point. I guess we'll have to wait and see who comes out as correct.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:17 AM

Don Cherry has denied Simmons' report. No surprise really, Simmons has about zero credibility left at this point. I guess we'll have to wait and see who comes out as correct.

Yup it was Simmons so I should've clued in right there; he's got a real d-bag rep in the industry and is taking some heat on social media today for sure. That said Rogers is hacking and whacking away and you have to think that Cherry, who's handsomely paid for what he brings, is in someone's sights.

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

Simmons never really said it was a done deal. He says it has yet to be confirmed grapes was returning (or not).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2019 - 11:28 AM.

#7 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

picking up internet chatter indicating rogers fired most/all their local KISS FM on-air talent today.

#8 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

picking up internet chatter indicating rogers fired most/all their local KISS FM on-air talent today.

don't you mean "radio chatter" ?  :thumbsup:  

Seems this is the norm nowadays, Virgin took over Kool FM early this year, was it? I'm sure there were quite a few layoffs with that one as well.

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

Seems this is the norm nowadays, Virgin took over Kool FM early this year, was it? I'm sure there were quite a few layoffs with that one as well.

virgin was always a bell licensed brand.  they just renamed the station.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

But didn’t the hosts change as well? I think they did (granted I’m not up on FM radio personalities).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

As reported initially by Steve Simmons (Toronto Sun), and later picked up by local outlets like Puget Sound Radio, SportsNet continues swinging the staff cutting axe. Toronto radio open mike sports icon Bob McCown was the first high profile personality to be "retired" and now it appears HNIC's Don Cherry is done as well. Although he's 85 and well past his 'best before date', still for a generation of Canadian hockey fans he was a Saturday Night viewing staple.

McCown and Cherry are just part of a larger move at cost cutting at Rogers Media, which includes Sportsnet and other media properties, which are collectively bleeding money left and right due to vastly under-performing projected NHL playoff ratings vs what they paid for the rights to broadcast them.

A few years ago I read that Cherry raked in about $700K/year for his 10-minute stint. IMO he's a jerk whose value lies in giving me time to snag a frosty beverage but lots of viewers like him and his segment pulls in ad revenue. AFAIK McCown was fed up and was playing out his contract which I had heard was about $1 million/year which is a lot for less-than-dynamic radio-on-tv.

#12 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

A few years ago I read that Cherry raked in about $700K/year for his 10-minute stint. IMO he's a jerk whose value lies in giving me time to snag a frosty beverage but lots of viewers like him and his segment pulls in ad revenue. AFAIK McCown was fed up and was playing out his contract which I had heard was about $1 million/year which is a lot for less-than-dynamic radio-on-tv.

True - but never underestimate that point. Especially in a television world fighting hard to retain viewership against various streaming & "online" viewing options. Agree DC is past his "best before date" but ultimately (ad) $$$ talks for sure. As to personalities that of course is purely a matter of personal taste. I have never been a fan particularly of Bob McCown as he struck me as an opinionated, self-important know it all, but that's just my perception. Fact is you don't last 30 years in an on-air gig unless you are presumably doing something right.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

Of course the kicker behind these and earlier Rogers layoffs is that albatross of an NHL contract that Rogers signed in 2013 giving them rights to broadcast the NHL in Canada: $5.2 billion bucks for a dozen years is too rich for any Canadian broadcaster.

Recall at the time the Leafs were struggling and didn't even make the playoffs in those first few years after that contract was signed. The result was that Rogers got crucified in terms of crashing viewership and waning ad revenues. "Toronto"-centric viewers obviously weren't going to tune in in anywhere near the required numbers if their beloved Maple Leafs weren't involved in the playoffs, hence the Rogers Sports division has been suffering ever since in spite of the fact the TML are now a good hockey team.

Not surprisingly, the prime movers behind that preposterous deal, Nadir Mohamed, Keith Pelley and Scott Moore (the latter lured to Rogers-Sportsnet from Hockey Night in Canada for the express purpose of supplanting TSN as the Number One sports network in the country), are all long gone from the company. The fourth party to that deal, Gary Bettman, is still laughing his ass off all the way to the bank.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

True - but never underestimate that point. Especially in a television world fighting hard to retain viewership against various streaming & "online" viewing options. Agree DC is past his "best before date" but ultimately (ad) $$$ talks for sure. As to personalities that of course is purely a matter of personal taste. I have never been a fan particularly of Bob McCown as he struck me as an opinionated, self-important know it all, but that's just my perception. Fact is you don't last 30 years in an on-air gig unless you are presumably doing something right.

how does a pompous tool like Sid stay on the air? Does anyone think he’s anything less than a complete conceded jerk?

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

/\........No clue really; I don't particularly like him myself but then I generally have little time for the TO-centric media in this country, sports-oriented or otherwise. Other than the 11pm national news I rarely if ever watch or listen to it.....

Although you have to respect the fact he lasted 30 years in the chair and generated huge revenue for Rogers I didn't particularly like McCown, I don't care for Sid, I hate the Maple Leafs (I've been a Habs fan since age 5), and I could care less if the Raptors - and especially their personal cheering section, aka "Drake" - are collectively fired from a cannon into the stratosphere never to be seen again. That all said it'll be fascinating to watch how this plays out especially considering that contact has another 7 years to go.....

#16 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

Aaaand KISS is no more. It's Jack 103.1 again

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:11 AM

To be honest, that's actually kind of nice. The music these "modern music" radio stations play is just awful. Jack is like a decent playlist at a party.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 11:31 AM

Rogers Communications Inc. is offering voluntary departure packages to some employees as it integrates Shaw Communications Inc. following its $26-billion purchase of the carrier in April.

In a memo to staff on Tuesday, CEO Tony Staffieri says Rogers has been looking to reduce some overlap in roles since the companies combined.

The memo says eligible employees can apply to receive a voluntary package through the program.

It says most employees in customer-facing roles and media production teams will not be eligible for the packages.

Staffieri says that although duplicate positions are being reduced, Rogers continues to hire new employees to support customers.

As part of a set of conditions Ottawa attached to its approval of the merger, Rogers must create 3,000 new jobs in Western Canada.

https://www.castanet...ter-Shaw-merger

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 July 2023 - 11:31 AM.

#19 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 04:02 PM

Not sure what this has to do with Sportsnet. The buyout packages do not include production, editorial, technology and operations staff at Rogers Sports & Media, including on-air talent, producers, directors, writers and engineers.

#20 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 06:24 PM

It was just somewhere to put it, I know it does not quite fit the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users