[Murder] Emily Caruana | Brentwood Bay | May 2019

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,834 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:16 AM

John Labossiere, regional Crown for Vancouver Island, says this it’s not usual for a defendant to go without counsel as it’s early in the case and he needs time to consult with council.

https://www.vancouve...-emily-caruana/

it's unclear if the accused is consulting council or if labossiere is.  it's also unclear which council that person will consult.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 July 2019 - 07:17 AM.

#42 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:10 PM

Why would council get involved at all. Seems like political interference. They should likely seek counsel before doing that.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 02:23 AM

https://www.nanaimob...er-denied-bail/

The man charged with first-degree murder and aggravated assault following a violent struggle in a Brentwood Bay home remains in custody.

Alan Charles Chapman, appearing by video, will remain in custody at the Vancouver Island Regional Correction Centre until Aug. 22, when he is scheduled to appear in court again.

A young woman who was murdered this past weekend in a Brentwood Bay home was not the intended target, family say.

On Saturday May 11th, at around 12:30 a.m., 20-year-old Emily Caruana was killed in what police say is not a random attack, while her boyfriend and uncle suffered serious injuries inflicted by the same suspect, according to a family member.

48-year-old Nanaimo resident, Alan Charles Chapman has been charged with first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated assault in connection with this case, and is expected to make an appearance in court on Wednesday, May 15th.

In an interview with Victoria Buzz, Emily Caruana’s aunt, Cindy Lee Sonier reveals that the suspect, Chapman was unknown to Emily, her uncle (one of the assault victims), and to Cindy herself.

“She happened to be in that home for one night. It was the wrong victim,” said Sonier.

The identity of the intended target has not been released by police or family members due to the pending court proceedings.

https://www.victoria...ntended-target/

this appears to have been quietly settled with no further media coverage.  it looks like crown entered a stay of proceedings on all three charges.  on june 16th of this year.

very unusual case.  even stranger end.

now it is possible someone else has been charged in the murder.  or crown has determined it was not a murder.

or somehow the entire sequence of events was not criminal in nature.  or crown for whatever reason can not get to the bottom of it all.

#44 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 02:25 AM

One Victoria-based amateur news site has already solved the riddle and concluded who did what, and to whom.

The defence lawyers are going to have a field day with that one.

maybe they did?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 September 2020 - 02:26 AM.

#45 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:42 AM

So what the hell happened here?

Not-random, wrong person murdered. Was this a hired hit on the grandma but the hitman killed the wrong woman? Or mothers day, no less?

Very curious case.

#46 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

I've sent a note to a couple of the writers who originally covered this story, asking for an update.

• Sparky likes this

#47 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:08 AM

I think there is some chance the suspect passed away in jail.

I suppose a second possibility is that crown and defence agreed that a psychiatric assessment made the person unfit for trial. or NCR.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 September 2020 - 09:11 AM.

#48 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 10:24 AM

There is a specific code entered in CSO for when the accused dies:

AB (Abated by Crown). That doesn't appear to be the case here?

Findings of NCR in a case like this are normally publicised and anyway, wouldn't this case have to be raised to Supreme Court?

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:18 AM

oh perhaps. I just saw the code for stay.

#50 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:06 PM

Law terms are stupid. Abated means lessened. But I guess if you are dead your aliveness truly is diminished. 

#51 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:06 AM

Update from Nanaimo Now. I thought the case might have been referred to Supreme Court, but the code they usually use for that is OST (ordered to stand trial in superior court).

"I've just heard back from Victoria Crown. 

Rest assured, Alan Charles Chapman is still charged with murder and aggravated assault. However, his case has moved from the provincial court, which handles sentences of two years and less, into the Supreme Court of B.C., which is where larger cases like murder are dealt with. So there was a stay of proceedings on his provincial charges, because he's now in the hands of the Supreme Court. 

He's set to appear tomorrow to fix a date for his trial. 

This is a case we'll be following closely, be sure to continue reading NanaimoNewsNOW for all your updates. "

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,834 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:09 AM

something in that large paragraph is not right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users