[Murder] Northern BC incidents; Port Alberni men charged | July 2019

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#21 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

The Texan connection was made by media outlets, AFAIK.

The theory that the RCMP are exploring does make some sense, as you've got a torched vehicle with missing occupants just down the road from a deceased male found in a roadside stop, but without a vehicle. How that connects to the other two homicides is less clear.

To add to all this:

The pair is no longer considered missing.

It's believed they have left British Columbia and they have been spotted in Saskatchewan. RCMP said they were last seen driving a grey 2011 Toyota RAV4.

RCMP said they may have changed their appearances and have asked anyone who sees them not to approach them.

B.C. RCMP named the pair as suspects during a press conference from its headquarters in the Lower Mainland at 11 a.m. PT on Tuesday. 

via https://www.cbc.ca/n...deese-1.5221657

#22 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, are two friends from Port Alberni, B.C., who were travelling through B.C. to visit the Yukon together in search of work.

RCMP said it's not clear why the pair returned to B.C. or what their travel plans may have been, but they may have been in an area without cellphone coverage when they disappeared.

Schmegelsky's father, Al, described the pair as "best friends" who met in elementary school. They recently graduated high school and had just spent five weeks working at Walmart.

He said the boys found the Walmart gig, which was the their first job, to be disappointing, so they decided to head off on a trip in search of greener pastures.

"They're just kids on an adventure. They're good boys," he said.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eries-1.5221041

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

Did the RAV4 belong to the deceased man?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:43 AM

"They're just kids on an adventure. They're good boys," he said.

Yes, and apparently no.

#25 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

Did the RAV4 belong to the deceased man?

A reasonable assumption (and the same one I made), but not confirmed by the RCMP

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#26 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

That the two "missing" Port Alberni teens are now the two prime suspects for the murders of the Australian/American couple, and also for the murder of the as yet unidentified man found by the highway marks somewhat of a turn of events ... and likely explains why the RCMP were so tight lipped.

Five lives gone ... just like that.

Edited by Cassidy, 23 July 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

Luckily we have strict gun control in Canada.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:33 PM

well now the missing Port Alberni teens are suspects in all three deaths and may be in Saskatchewan driving another vehicle.

ive got a theory. kids burn out their own truck. Now they need a vehicle. they get the other now dead guy to pull over. they commandeer his car kill him and push him outta the car at the pullout 2km away.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2019 - 12:41 PM.

#29 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:46 PM

Luckily we have strict gun control in Canada.

True, otherwise there'd be a lot more gun crime than there already is.  Or were you being sarcastic and calling for stricter control?

Anyway, I like think I am not surprised by much in this world anymore but I am surprised by this development.

Two young men, by their families' accounts your regular bright-future fellows, work for five weeks at Walmart and then go on a killing spree?

Sounds more like something went wrong, maybe one bad decision, and they are on the run.  As opposed to a Columbine-style plotting.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#30 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:47 PM

now we maybe have two teens not afraid to kill for cash or vehicle. how dues this end?

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

True, otherwise there'd be a lot more gun crime than there already is.  Or were you being sarcastic and calling for stricter control?

I'm just highlighting the fact that if you want a gun in this country, you can get it. These kids did, somehow.

Know it all.

#32 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:23 PM

download (9).png

https://twitter.com/...erp|twgr^author

The Cthulhu: https://www.youtube....bed/Ob7PfxvJCN0

download (8).png

https://globalnews.c...teens-dead-man/

Tease Me Please Me: https://youtu.be/wENdZneWDYs

Edited by todd, 23 July 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#33 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

^ why can you only see the above photos if you sign in don’t even know how that can happen?
  • Matt R. and Todd Test like this

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Anyway, I like think I am not surprised by much in this world anymore but I am surprised by this development.

Two young men, by their families' accounts your regular bright-future fellows, work for five weeks at Walmart and then go on a killing spree?

Sounds more like something went wrong, maybe one bad decision, and they are on the run.  As opposed to a Columbine-style plotting.

I thought there must have been some other catalyst involved: money, drugs or sex, eg: good Samaritan old man giving the boys a lift ends up asking for sexual favours in return, boys flip out, things escalate. Something complicated like that. Not a Natural Born Killers random rampage.  But what about the couple in the van? What about the Texan on the run? How does this all fit together?

I'm just highlighting the fact that if you want a gun in this country, you can get it. These kids did, somehow.

It could have been the victim's own hunting rifle used against him, rather than the boys' illegally-obtained handgun.

#35 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

What about the Texan on the run? 

i think he just looks a bit like a person of interest in a composite in the dead couple case.  a person seen talking to the couple when they were broken down.

texan:   https://globalnews.c...ly-in-manitoba/

texan and bc person-of-interest composite:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2019 - 01:58 PM.

#36 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

i think he just looks a bit like a person of interest in a composite in the dead couple case.  a person seen talking to the couple when they were broken down.

Comically bad luck for him. The manhunt is exponentially more intense for him now through no fault of his own. 

#37 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

I thought there must have been some other catalyst involved: money, drugs or sex

sex between the boys and the dead couple seems unlikely just because of their bodies location.  also because 18 and 19-year-olds don't normally hang with 23/24 couples.

but why did the boys torch their own vehicle?  to cover what?  blood?  dna?   or did they think they could damage it so bad it would not even be identified as theirs?  fanciful thinking but not beyond the realm for young stupid guys.  they might have just thought they had been spotted by someone that might (or as it turns out might not have) reported them connected to the dead couple.  

also presume that a break in the case might be that one of the two contacted friends and/or family and said "we've done something dumb!" or more detail.  surely between northern bc and saskatchewan they have had cell or wifi opportunities.

There are very few posts visible on the young men’s social media accounts, but among them is a photo of a 18-year-old Schmegelsky holding an alcohol bottle.

A photo posted to Schmegelsky's Faceboook page in 2015 reads "guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets."

McLeod’s Facebook account does not reveal much about him as it has very few photographs, but does have one of a cartoon skull.

New comments left on an Instagram account appearing to belong to McLeod reference that he is being hunted by police, with one person commenting “clock’s ticking bud.”

https://vancouverisl...elsky-1.4520490

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2019 - 02:09 PM.

#38 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

I thought there must have been some other catalyst involved: money, drugs or sex, eg: good Samaritan old man giving the boys a lift ends up asking for sexual favours in return, boys flip out, things escalate. Something complicated like that. Not a Natural Born Killers random rampage.  But what about the couple in the van? What about the Texan on the run? How does this all fit together?

It could have been the victim's own hunting rifle used against him, rather than the boys' illegally-obtained handgun.

Do keep in mind that the deceased couple was found four days before the burning truck and the third body, and the RCMP haven't said a word about how the third individual died or the condition his body was found in. 

#39 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

Manitoba RCMP have now said that the duo may have been seen recently in Gillam. If so...that is definitely quite north...and not a lot of roads to take you anywhere.

Edited by shoeflack, 23 July 2019 - 02:18 PM.

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

Manitoba RCMP have now said that the duo may have been seen recently in Gillam. If so...that is definitely quite north...and not a lot of roads to take you anywhere.

Update: RCMP say they have reason to believe two Port Alberni teens suspected of killing three people in B.C. are now in northern Manitboa.

PUBLIC SAFETY - Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky MAY be in Manitoba and are considered dangerous. We have reasons to believe they were recently in the Gillam area. If you spot them - take no actions – do not approach – call 911 or your local police immediately. #rcmpmb pic.twitter.com/yh2yV78oZd

https://www.timescol...rcmp-1.23893806

possibly not necessarily seen.  there is also a chance these guys are using credit or debit cards belonging to someone dead.  that could also be why that have been so positively identified as suspects.

ie. dead man's credit card is used at a gas station pay-at-the-pump.  both suspects also get on video at that location. 

the new suspect images are from something recent.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2019 - 02:26 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users