[Murder] Northern BC incidents; Port Alberni men charged | July 2019

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#101 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:36 AM

Seems to me 100km or so (even 200 km if they had to back track a bit etc) is doable in a few days, even going through heavy woods. Especially if outfitted. These guys could have a GPS or at least a map and compass on them.

#102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:56 AM

I think we give them too much credit. I suspect they have no map. or gps. or money or batteries or food or supplies. they already drive to about the worst place they could have chosen. and we have no idea why they ditched their car.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2019 - 10:57 AM.

#103 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

I assumed that the sighting by the York Landing garbage dump was credible. That they got accurate descriptions and everything. But now there saying it was not?

I will tell you, I am learning a lot about Canada's barren north. 

#104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

the description they got was “same clothes as their surveillance photos” and tall and skinny. sounds like they think it was a total fabrication. could be. good for temporary business though!

#105 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

I will tell you, I am learning a lot about Canada's barren north. 

Ah the great Canadian north.

Come for the frost bite....stay for the black flies. 

If they were going to give the world an enema...that's where they would stick in the hose. 

• Teardrop likes this

#106 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:22 PM

Police have completed their door-to-door canvassing in Fox Lake Cree Nation and Gillam, Man. 

A police checkpoint on the road into and out of Gillam has been removed. 

“To date, over 500 homes have been visited by investigators,” she said.

“It is possible the suspects inadvertently received assistance and are no longer in the area,” said Courchaine. 

Former RCMP superintendent Garry Clement said it is hard to tell if McLeod and Schmegelsky are hiding or if they are even still alive. 

“If they are still alive they have to be extremely desperate. I would think they are probably in pretty poor condition health-wise,” said Clement. “Unless they are Navy SEALs, they are definitely not going to be able to survive for long in that wilderness.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 July 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

...If they are still alive they have to be extremely desperate...

Sounds like Her Worseship will be sending out an invitation for them to come to Victoria then.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#108 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

if they do not come out of the woods before this weekend i think they are probably dead.

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:06 AM

good grief. why is everyone so keen on being victims?

Garrison Settee, grand chief of Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO), an advocacy group that represents 30 First Nations in northern Manitoba, said the impact of having such a large police and military presence on such a tightly knit community will likely include lasting psychological effects.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...elsky-1.5230490
  • GaryRanson and A Girl is No one like this

#110 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:24 AM

For me I would think that the psychological effects of not sending in the police and military under the circumstances would have been a lot worse. 

• Nparker and Teardrop like this

#111 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

After spending more than a week scouring some of the roughest terrain in Manitoba in search of the two most wanted men in the country, RCMP are drastically scaling down their operation.

The head of Manitoba's Mounties insists they are not giving up despite a lack of new leads on the whereabouts of Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, and Kam McLeod, 19, since July 22.

"It is not over, not by any means," Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

The nine-day manhunt covered 11,000 square kilometres — an area about twice the size of P.E.I., or about half the size of Lake Winnipeg. Officers used some of the most sophisticated technology and received help from some of the best search and rescue personnel in the country, but still there have been no confirmed sightings of two Port Alberni, B.C., men.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tives-1.5231687

Police officers in the Gillam area are now down to 40 members (police numbers at the height of the search were never disclosed). 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2019 - 02:32 PM.

#112 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:11 PM

https://www.macleans...obox=1564614703

The Toyota Rav 4 Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod drove across the Prairies was left to burn outside the remote northern Manitoba town of Gillam—but the two were nowhere to be found.

A week later, amid a countrywide manhunt where RCMP resources focused primarily on the densely forested terrain surrounding Gillam, there was a potential sighting of the duo by the garbage dump a couple hundred kilometres southwest, in York Landing. However, no amount of police dogs, boats, helicopters, drones, or RCMP boots on the ground could confirm that sighting.

Now as the manhunt for the two primary suspects in the killings of UBC professor Len Dyck, and the world-travelling couple Chynna Deese and Lucas Fowler, enters its second week, RCMP announced on Wednesday they’d be scaling back their search in the region where they’re last known to have been seen. A few hours later there were reports of an unconfirmed sightingmore than a day’s drive to the east, in Kapuskasing, Ont.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2019 - 04:11 PM.

#113 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:46 AM

One of the challenges when you get to a manhunt with such national and even international coverage as this one is that people start to see what they want to see.

Two white males in their late teens/20s is probably one of the more common sights to see in a vehicle in this country or out walking about. The mind can start to play tricks for sure, as can people looking for their 15 minutes of fame (not to say that any of these unconfirmed sightings have been nefarious).

• Mike K. likes this

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:04 AM

Absolutely. I'm sure we're going to hear wild tales of "they thought we wuz the bad guyzzz" once this is all over.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#115 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

already a pair of guys was pulled over and forced to lie on the ground at gunpoint. wrong guys.

#116 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

already a pair of guys was pulled over and forced to lie on the ground at gunpoint. wrong guys.

Source?

#117 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

Two white males in their late teens/20s is probably one of the more common sights to see in a vehicle in this country or out walking about.

It's their privilege.

#118 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

Source?

I believe it was reported by CBC the same day that RCMP set up check stops around Gillam. The growing pile of news stories and frequent updates makes it difficult to find the source material.

#119 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

I can try to find it later when I’m on desktop. was a msm website if I recall correctly.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 August 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#120 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

Police suspect foul play in disappearance of two men from Surrey

Police now believe Ryan Provencher and Richard Scurr were the target of foul play. They were last seen on July 17 in a white Jeep Cherokee, which was found abandoned on a forest service road near Logan Lake. Police searched a property in Spences Bridge, west of Kamloops, where police believe the pair were travelling to, but did not locate them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 August 2019 - 02:08 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users