Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1041 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Like many have said before, their isn't anything wrong with the Malahat Road itself, it's the driver's that cause the accidents.

And SPEED is usually the official outcome released by the police after a malahat crash as the main contributor to the crash.

Just for fun, on a slow weekday in middle of the week I decided to make a video of just how many driver's I could capture on my Dash Cam speeding in the 60km/hour construction zone (which is currently about 5 or 6 km long, if not longer) I got a total of 20 speeders in that one stretch alone.  I put my cruise control on to exactly 60km/Hour to accurately capture the speeders.

If you get caught by the police the fine is DOUBLE in a construction zone, and construction work zones are in effect 24 hours a day/7 days  a week, unless otherwise posted. Unfortunately I was not surprised at how many drivers were willing to take that risk.

https://youtu.be/b0ncMBvk1HA

• qwerty likes this

#1042 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

CRD seeks input on distance speed cameras on Malahat

https://www.vicnews....ras-on-malahat/

“Point-to-point speed cameras are widely used around the world, and the CRD traffic safety commission believes they would be an effective way to significantly reduce deaths, injuries and crashes on the Malahat – crashes which often cut off Greater Victoria from the rest of the Island for hours at a time,” according to a post on the safety commission’s website."

Edited by malahatdrive, 16 February 2018 - 01:25 PM.

#1043 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

The Malahat is closed following a crash involving a fuel truck and a van. The van was reportedly crushed under the truck. The incident occurred along the Goldstream River portion more or less where the fuel truck from several years ago occurred. That crash closed the highway for 24 hours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1044 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

yup its the FAS Fuels truck and sounds like the van cut him off.

I was literally just walking into visit with my friend at BC Hazmat in Sidney when the phone started ringing....

Yet another glaring example of a major incident on this road where speed yet again was not a factor...but keep on lobbying for those average speed cameras... when a 2nd route is what is truly needed

#1045 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Estimated to reopen at 8pm, detours in effect http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ghway-1.4676715

#1046 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

How was the van able to cut him off along that stretch? It’s a two lane road there (pathetic, I know)?

The Malahat needs extreme enforcement for all reasons other than speed, but speed is certainly an issue on that road. Despite its design people absolutely fly through there. There has to be some equity brought into the equation and police need to invest time pursuing dangerous drivers, not just speeding drivers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1047 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

The detour options are brutal.

One way at a time over Finlayson Arm Road with a Pilot Car, a multi-hour wait at the Brentwood Ferry, or if you're somewhere around Duncan or parts North ... via Saltspring Island and two ferries.

Time for CRD Water to pave Sooke Lake Road and open it up to the public. It's a relatively straight shot between Shawnigan Lake and Goldstream Village.

#1048 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

It's time for the Malahat High Priority Clearance Response And Protocol.  Or MHPCRAP.

Unless there is loss of life, the mess is cleared in 2 hours, maximum.  We have remarkable cameras now.  And drones.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1049 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Lifting a fuel truck is easier said than done. Police also need to asses who’s at fault.

A little while ago a motor home left the road on the circle route. That’s going to cause major issues.

Know it all.

#1050 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Closed until 4AM now.

Know it all.

#1051 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

Then get down there and help, show them how it’s done.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker and lanforod like this

Know it all.

#1052 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

I think they needed to assess the state of the fuel storage tanks and come up with a way of draining them first before righting it. It’s right on the stream bed and it was diesel so a little bit of caution is required.

I’ll get the scoop when I meet my guy at HazMat next week and let you know.
  • Mike K., sebberry and lanforod like this

#1053 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

I think they needed to assess the state of the fuel storage tanks and come up with a way of draining them first before righting it. It’s right on the stream bed and it was diesel so a little bit of caution is required.

I’ll get the scoop when I meet my guy at HazMat next week and let you know.

It does not taking blocking of the entire route to accomplish this. My team makes more sense.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1054 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

You should watch a couple of episodes of Highway Through Hell to get a sense of how complicated these operations can be.

• sebberry, jonny and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.

#1055 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

If the fuel truck was cut off maybe it was from pulling out from the park? That stretch is kind of dangerous because of the turning on and off at that park. Like maybe this spot? 

https://www.google.c...!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Edited by PraiseKek, 24 May 2018 - 06:22 PM.

#1056 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

From another source that's reliable but not confirmed.

There was a cyclist on the highway in front of the person driving the courier van and it sounds like they wobbled and she reacted by swerving out to avoid him and right into the path of the fuel truck.

As I said that's from a reliable source but not confirmed from anyone else

Better put in a separated bike lane there and perhaps post the road to 30... :1954_dancing: 

#1057 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

Made for an extremely busy late afternoon and early evening, but it’ll pay the mortgage for a month!

Matt.
  • rjag and Lorenzo like this

#1058 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

The detour options are brutal.

One way at a time over Finlayson Arm Road with a Pilot Car, a multi-hour wait at the Brentwood Ferry, or if you're somewhere around Duncan or parts North ... via Saltspring Island and two ferries.

Time for CRD Water to pave Sooke Lake Road and open it up to the public. It's a relatively straight shot between Shawnigan Lake and Goldstream Village.

Or via Port Renfrew - Cowichan.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1059 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

I say blast a new 6 lane highway thru there for a straight shot with a minimum speed of 110

How before I get crucified about how expensive that would be maybe everyone needs to understand that all of the roadbase and other engineered fill materials are produced in Victoria by blasting bedrock at the pits at either Millstream close to Western Speedway or Goldstream pit (pretty much Trans Canada Highway & Westshore Parkway) and crushing it to the specified product.  Its been that way for 10+ years since the Metchosin pit (now Royal Bay subdivision) shut down.  Victoria only has one other pit at Keating which is just about out of materials (3 years at last count I was told, but the timeline seems to change)

Why not partner with a company offering them free rock in exchange for blasting a new cut thru that area or something like that

On another note it has to suck living north of Goldstream tonight

• rjag, Matt R., jonny and 1 other like this

#1060 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

I say blast a new 6 lane highway thru there for a straight shot with a minimum speed of 110

Agreed however you will never get any type of support from most of the local politicians, heck they cant agree on lunch never mind the thought of promoting car usage! that's sacrilege and anathema! Look at the whining over McKenzie interchange! Heck even talking about will require a therapy dog and perhaps a safe space for them....

• jonny and Daveyboy like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users