[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1321 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

Does the CRD have that kind of power?

All you need is one protestor strapping themselves to a tree or one FN leader claiming that they have title and haven't been consulted and you have a stalemate. 

No political party is going to invest any money or time in this.

#1322 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

Listening to Mitzi Dean today on the radio and I dont have much hope that we will see a cure for this....more likely a graded fire access road behind a gate. Too many enviro's making noises about personal autos and how we all should be on a bus/train thing.

My bet is no new road and a stupid 60/70km/h speed limit with average speed cams and more buses.

We really are the laughing stock of the rest of the world

#1323 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

Comrade Ben has already added his (overpriced) 2 cents: https://www.cheknews...-island-523278/

(see around 1:27 on the above clip)

#1324 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Freaking pathetic when our local “leaders” are actively working and arguing against what the vast majority of us actually want. Talk to anyone who lives here and uses the malahat and the vast majority want something to be done. Talk to those of us outsid the CoV and it’s unanimous
  • Nparker likes this

#1325 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

Isitt's base aren't the ones affected by the traffic on the Malihat and he gets political points for speaking out. 

It's easy to be idealistic when you are not on the hook for fixing an issue.  What's his solution?...moving 300,000 people into the core? 

• Nparker likes this

#1326 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

...What's his solution?...moving 300,000 people into the core? 

In $500/month, city-owned, taxpayer-funded apartments, no less.

#1327 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:20 PM

Isitt talks about "natural beauty" ... but the part of the Niagara Main (or better yet, an entirely new road) that would be used for a bypass is inaccessible to everybody currently. Well in side the Watershed, nobody but trespassers or CRD employees ever get to see it.

I get that natural beauty is desirable, and I get that all natural beauty doesn't need a road through it so folks can enjoy it ... but that's what this discussion is about - A ROAD.

And Isitt's response is "we can't build a road" ... while the study (and the discussion) is about building A ROAD!

Insanity  :eek:

#1328 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:33 PM

yes the maniacal protection of every bit of land in the watershed is over the top.

the circle route is not a realistic detour mr. hicks. you are talking about a 3-hour detour to avoid a 50m strip of Malahat road where the crash is.

I doubt Hicks cares about the watershed. His interest is in getting a better road through his bailiwick.

#1329 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:27 AM

Build a whole new limited-access highway from just south of Goldstream to just north of the current Malahat and let the existing Malahat become the detour route.

Then fix Duncan.

• rjag and RFS like this

#1330 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:57 AM

Freaking pathetic when our local “leaders” are actively working and arguing against what the vast majority of us actually want. Talk to anyone who lives here and uses the malahat and the vast majority want something to be done. Talk to those of us outsid the CoV and it’s unanimous

Well Ben and the Mayor consistently remind us now that the vast majority do support them which is why they were re-elected.

#1331 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

Well Ben and the Mayor consistently remind us now that the vast majority do support them which is why they were re-elected.

But we are talking about the CRD.  I think if you polled the people of Saanich, Langford, Colwood, View Royal, Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Mill Bay, etc, 99% would want another route 

#1332 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

...I think if you polled the people of Saanich, Langford, Colwood, View Royal, Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Mill Bay, etc, 99% would want another route 

As probably would many residents of the city of Victoria. It bears repeating that the current makeup of council and its representatives on the CRD board do not necessarily reflect the wishes of a great number of residents of the CoV.

#1333 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

the problem is that they need to be seen as “progressive” or they want to be. building or expanding car roads does not fit that desire. talking about ferries (Colwood Mayor) and rail (everyone) is more fun.

#1334 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

My own personal story about the Malahat is that it is easier for me to go to Vancouver for cancer treatment than to Victoria.  I have been caught up in 2 road closures trying to get to my appts.  

My stress level is way down, it's "only" on average 6 hours to get to Vancouver and costs little in gas $.  I won't change back until something is done about the road between Duncan & Victoria.

• Nparker, rjag and On the Level like this

#1335 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

My own personal story about the Malahat is that it is easier for me to go to Vancouver for cancer treatment than to Victoria.  I have been caught up in 2 road closures trying to get to my appts.  

My stress level is way down, it's "only" on average 6 hours to get to Vancouver and costs little in gas $.  I won't change back until something is done about the road between Duncan & Victoria.

I'm no supporter of the current Malahat by any means, but doesn't this make very good sense for somebody living on Gabriola anyway?

Why would you drive 220 clicks (110 each way) when you could drive 50 clicks (25 each way), and sit back enjoying a coffee for a large part of the trip :)

I guess it really comes down to ferry fares vs. cost of gas ... but personally even if the ferry was a bit more $$, I'd take the ferry trip to Vancouver option over the driving 220 clicks on one of the worst roads in B.C. (if not Canada).

#1336 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

This piece of road is part of our National Highway System. If I were in charge, I would send the blasting crew in and bite off a big part of that mountain to the west of the road, make it 6 lanes to accommodate future growth and send the invoice to JT.

There what’s next?

https://en.m.wikiped...System_(Canada)
  • Mike K. likes this

#1337 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

I'm no supporter of the current Malahat by any means, but doesn't this make very good sense for somebody living on Gabriola anyway?

Why would you drive 220 clicks (110 each way) when you could drive 50 clicks (25 each way), and sit back enjoying a coffee for a large part of the trip :)

I guess it really comes down to ferry fares vs. cost of gas ... but personally even if the ferry was a bit more $$, I'd take the ferry trip to Vancouver option over the driving 220 clicks on one of the worst roads in B.C. (if not Canada).

It doesn't just come down to ferry fares vs cost of gas, as the ferry costs me nothing, it is covered by a TAP form.  It would make more sense to be treated in Victoria for several reasons, 

1) I have to stay over at least one night going to Vancouver, it's 6 hours minimum each way.  I cannot get to an appt in time or home in one day.  This may not sound like a big thing to you, but when you're not feeling well, sleeping in your own bed is huge.  Victoria is usually doable in a day unless there's a problem on the Malahat.  

2)  Fighting with BCF to stay in the car so requesting to be on the upper deck if I'm feeling crappy & don't want to be upstairs with all the germy people when my counts are low.  

3)  My chart is now divided between 2 health authorities & I have to fight with them every once in a while to get my records to my GP on Gabriola as the 2 health authorities have different computer systems that don't talk to each other.

Mine is just one story of lots out there for reasons why there needs to be a better or improved route.  And yes, I have told my story to my MLA.  

#1338 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

the problem is that they need to be seen as “progressive” or they want to be. building or expanding car roads does not fit that desire. talking about ferries (Colwood Mayor) and rail (everyone) is more fun.

No, but the person that does eventually take the initiative will forever be remembered as a hero by the people... isn't that worth more than short-term image building?

Our politicians need to focus on the big picture and forget about today's selfie.

#1339 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Where's Flying Phil when you need him?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1340 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:47 AM

The vast majority in the CoV do not vote.  Ben and Lisa happen to fit in with a group that feels so passionate about their cause that they do organize and vote, but it has nothing to do with the "vast majority".  

How many that live in the core go beyond their small neighbourhoods?  Of course some do, but you have a higher percentage that live in a little downtown bubble and are either oblivious or don't care what others are dealing with.  They don't need the Malihat themselves, so other families can GTH.   It is this group that gets them elected.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users