• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1421 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

Ok then why did the NDP need to in the highway from Parksville to Campbell River, that's prime guaranteed NDP territory

Because the up/down Island traffic was overwhelming the little towns along the original highway to the point where the local kids took their lives in their hands in order to cross the street.

That upgrade was about 20 years too late as it was, but for places like Bowser, Union Bay, Royston, etc ... residents have got their little towns back minus every single car going up or down the island.

Fun fact ... if your not in any sort of rush, 19A is still a much nicer drive up island than 19 is.

• AllseeingEye, nerka and Victoria Watcher like this

#1422 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

A temporary emergency route? (which is what the study is for apparently).

Easy!

South Shawingan Lake Road to Goldstream Heights, all the way to the end of Goldstream Heights where a "new" road would hook-up to the Niagara Main, which would spit you out in Goldstream Village.

Pave and widen the section of the Niagara Main folks would have to use (which is about 5 miles worth), and you're done like dinner.

Never happen of course, because it would put traffic in the CRD watershed.

Completely different from big cities in the U.S. ... some of which not only have highways through their watershed, but also let folks freely fish in them!

Yup, this is common in the US and I know because I've done it on at least two occasions.

Sadly if there was ever any hope the NDP would show some jam - unlike the Liberals - and undertake to at least push for a true study of amalgamation, if not actually force it, you have to think with key cabinet players like Lana Popham, Carole James and Horgan himself all being from this area - and knowing how much resistance there is from "entrenched interests" shall we say, which are utterly opposed to any sort of regional governance model overhaul, it is highly likely it never happens. 

As a consequence nearly 400,000 people are doomed to continue enduring one of the s*****t governance structures of any major Canadian city: not only do we have the ludicrous spectre of 13 municipal bodies overseeing a population much less than that of Surrey (which has 1 council, and 1 police department and 1 fire department), but layered on top of all that  steaming mess the CRD which, last time I checked, had something like 600 staff all of whom - especially managers and above - are extremely well paid. What a farce.....

• Midnightly, Cassidy and Victoria Watcher like this

#1423 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:06 AM

Yup, this is common in the US and I know because I've done it on at least two occasions.

Sadly if there was ever any hope the NDP would show some jam - unlike the Liberals - and undertake to at least push for a true study of amalgamation, if not actually force it, you have to think with key cabinet players like Lana Popham, Carole James and Horgan himself all being from this area - and knowing how much resistance there is from "entrenched interests" shall we say, which are utterly opposed to any sort of regional governance model overhaul, it is highly likely it never happens. 

Especially as the folks that are so vehemently opposed to this are 'allies' of the NDP....(I really hate that progressives have usurped the use of the word 'Ally' into prog speak)

#1424 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

Because the up/down Island traffic was overwhelming the little towns along the original highway to the point where the local kids took their lives in their hands in order to cross the street.

That upgrade was about 20 years too late as it was, but for places like Bowser, Union Bay, Royston, etc ... residents have got their little towns back minus every single car going up or down the island.

Fun fact ... if your not in any sort of rush, 19A is still a much nicer drive up island than 19 is.

It seems the Malahat is closed every week for a major crash.  People put their lives in jeopardy every day traversing that POS highway.  A friend of mine died 15 years ago when a tractor trailer fish tailed in that pathetic section thru Goldtream.  The Malahat is 40 year too late in getting upgraded!

If its snowing on the Malahat I refuse to drive it and immediately cancel meetings, etc on the spot

Again, so why was Nanaimo north upgraded and Victoria - Nanaimo got a few band aids.  Remind me again where the population is?

#1425 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

I think in general discussion, it’s more than fair to state that one doesn’t think the Malahat will get what it needs ... while believing 100% that it should?
  • Nparker likes this

#1426 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

+2 - unless you're rushing for an appointment with God, or are going from points A to B as a result of a true family or other emergency, I've never really understood the appeal of the "inland route", although I understand perfectly why it was constructed. I just personally never opt for it given the choice. 

Admittedly I'll be the first to concede that I am not at all a 'need for speed' freak - I'm perfectly happy motoring along the infinitely more scenic eastern route at 80 kph plus(ish) as opposed to the 120kph ++++++ I've routinely experienced on 19 when I have done it, the last time being probably more than five years ago - but really you cannot compare the "new" highway with the quaint appeal of 19A, the 'Oceanside Route'.

Quite aside from the fact the latter affords a stunning water vista throughout compared to really nothing on "19" other than endless kilometers of grass median, you also have an opportunity to pit-stop at any one of a number of beaches or beach-side camp grounds and quaint cafes as well as see something of what the island life was years ago in picturesque towns like Union Bay and Bowser.

One of the very best water-side pub/bar/cafe's on the entire east side of the island for example is at French Creek/marina - but you'd never see or have a chance to check it out roaring along on 19. 

As to why the Inland Route apparently or seems in the eyes of the public to have higher urgency "to get it done" from the perspective of whatever the government of the day was, here is a fascinating link to a document from the Campbell River museum that outlines some interesting developments that clearly pushed the process (for a new route) along. Lots of interesting 'back room' material here. And not only that check out the image of the "original" island highway and imagine clearing those trees to construct that road!

https://www.crmuseum...ghway (IIH).pdf

Edited by AllseeingEye, 20 January 2019 - 04:55 PM.

• Cassidy likes this

#1427 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

Again, so why was Nanaimo north upgraded and Victoria - Nanaimo got a few band aids.  Remind me again where the population is?

Yeah but at the time Parksville to Mill Bay was already all four lane while Parksville to Campbell River was a two lane highway through the middle of every little town and with a truly ridiculous number of lights. 

Before the inland highway, south of Nanaimo was the EASY part of the drive from Campbell River to Victoria.

I am not disputing the need for upgrades to the Malahat and generally from Victoria to Nanaimo, just saying the the Inland Highway was a very reasonable investment at the time.

• Cassidy likes this

#1428 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

Never happen of course, because it would put traffic in the CRD watershed.

Completely different from big cities in the U.S. ... some of which not only have highways through their watershed, but also let folks freely fish in them!

Plenty of places in Canada where you can fish in the water bodies that supply sizeable towns. Edmonton and Calgary for instance. Or closer to home Campbell River and Courtenay.

• Cassidy likes this

#1429 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

Yeah but at the time Parksville to Mill Bay was already all four lane while Parksville to Campbell River was a two lane highway through the middle of every little town and with a truly ridiculous number of lights. 

Before the inland highway, south of Nanaimo was the EASY part of the drive from Campbell River to Victoria.

I am not disputing the need for upgrades to the Malahat and generally from Victoria to Nanaimo, just saying the the Inland Highway was a very reasonable investment at the time.

All due respect, but you haven't lived here for that long then.  Try driving thru Nanaimo, which was the only option back in the 80s and earlier, on bath tub day weekend when its 30+ out as an example.  Even a lot of the approaches to Nanaimo were 1 lane each direction.  A lot was 2 lanes each direction, but it took forever going north on summer weekends

#1430 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

I agree the highway from south of nanaimo to Courtenay was the more difficult part back then. Malahat to south of nanaimo was not bad. I can’t remenber if it was around union bay or fanny bay where one 30km corner was marked with lights and signs and all manner or warnings. I agree if one is in no hurry it was and is a great drive.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2019 - 01:20 PM.

• nerka likes this

#1431 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

I always drive the secondary routes, starting with Duncan where I’ll veer off towards Crofton at Trunk Road after a customary stop at the Dog House :)

From time to time I’ll retuen via Highways 19 and 1 but the slow and steady scenic secondary routes are a real pleasure in all seasons.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1432 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

^I always take the fastest route and I never recognize 50 zones, I drive thru Duncan at 80 if I can because I am on the HIGHWAY!  Duncan needs to have what happened to Ladysmith and now you drive thru at 80 with no issues

#1433 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:44 PM

the geography difference between duncan and ladysmith makes that a lot harder.

#1434 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

^I have no idea what you are talking about.  Ladysmith closed all the cross streets on the highway and now you zip thru at highway speed.  You have 2 options to exit one light on the south side of town and one on the north

Duncan is like driving down Douglas st

#1435 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

^I have no idea what you are talking about.  Ladysmith closed all the cross streets on the highway and now you zip thru at highway speed.  You have 2 options to exit one light on the south side of town and one on the north

Duncan is like driving down Douglas st

I think it goes without saying that this would be infinitely more difficult for Duncan to do than Ladysmith.  A bypass around Duncan entirely would be a more reasonable idea

• FogPub likes this

#1436 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

The "geography difference" between Ladysmith and Duncan is where the highway cuts through. Ladysmith is built beside the highway, with only one street that crosses it. Closing intersections was easy, since all but one were T-junctions. Simply put, no traffic was crossing the highway.

Duncan is built around the highway. Basically all of the intersections cross the highway, so closing those intersections would be a nightmare for vehicle and pedestrian traffic trying to cross to the other side. Using your Douglas Street analogy, it would be like closing every intersection between, say, Pandora and Fort.

• RFS likes this

#1437 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

I think it goes without saying that this would be infinitely more difficult for Duncan to do than Ladysmith.  A bypass around Duncan entirely would be a more reasonable idea

Duncan already has a highway bypass. We just allowed the town to come to the highway instead of what good land use would dictate and keep it a highway.

#1438 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

^I always take the fastest route and I never recognize 50 zones, I drive thru Duncan at 80 if I can because I am on the HIGHWAY!  Duncan needs to have what happened to Ladysmith and now you drive thru at 80 with no issues

I've never understood why some people like to brag about driving like an idiot. These are the kinds of people that shouldn't have a license.

Edited by shoeflack, 21 January 2019 - 03:46 PM.

• qwerty and SgtNeonPanda like this

#1439 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

Duncan already has a highway bypass. We just allowed the town to come to the highway instead of what good land use would dictate and keep it a highway.

when, 50 years ago?  There are old parts of Duncan on both sides of the highway

#1440 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

Yes, around 50 years ago!

But Corey is right, the "real" Duncan was a ways to the West when the original by-pass route was built.

As a kid, driving to Parksville to camp on the beach at Rathtrevor, you'd fly right through Duncan. There wasn't much at all on the by-pass.

Now of course, that "highway" is a main drag like Colwood or Langfords main drag is.

The original Duncan that the by-pass by-passed is here:

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

• nerka likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users