• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1481 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:52 PM

There will be some uncontrolled left hand turns terminated, but there will never be another interchange/overpass built on the #17.

The McTavish interchange was 100% a product of the airport, not residents living in the area.

Take a look at Google Maps and scan up the peninsula, there simply isn't the density between Royal Oak and Sidney to support one $50 million dollar overpass (let alone a series of them).

With the Malahat begging for something to be done, and nothing in the works, the relatively calm Highway #17 isn't even on anybody in authorities radar.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1482 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

...The McTavish interchange was 100% a product of the airport, not residents living in the area...

With the added benefit of being the only area in the region that had both Federal and Provincial government representation at the time it was funded.

#1483 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:31 AM

Sidney (Beacon Ave) also needs an interchange, while we're at it.

And yes, there's not much to the east at Island View but lots to the west, and the overall pattern of the roads tends to funnel southbound traffic to the highway just around there - the only other routes into/out of town south of Keating are Oldfield Rd to Old West to West Saanich Rd (hardly a high-volume route!), or West Saanich Road itself.  North of Keating there's a few more north-south options.

#1484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,992 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:33 AM

There will be some uncontrolled left hand turns terminated, but there will never be another interchange/overpass built on the #17.

The McTavish interchange was 100% a product of the airport, not residents living in the area.

Take a look at Google Maps and scan up the peninsula, there simply isn't the density between Royal Oak and Sidney to support one $50 million dollar overpass (let alone a series of them).

With the Malahat begging for something to be done, and nothing in the works, the relatively calm Highway #17 isn't even on anybody in authorities radar.

this sounds right.  the peninsula population is not growing much.

#1485 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,992 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:41 AM

Sidney (Beacon Ave) also needs an interchange, while we're at it.

And yes, there's not much to the east at Island View but lots to the west, and the overall pattern of the roads tends to funnel southbound traffic to the highway just around there - the only other routes into/out of town south of Keating are Oldfield Rd to Old West to West Saanich Rd (hardly a high-volume route!), or West Saanich Road itself.  North of Keating there's a few more north-south options.

I actually disagree with this. I think downtown sidney benefits from an intersection here. And I think motorists can handle one major intersection here and there.  they could easily poke another right exit onto bevan for northbound highway traffic going to south sidney.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2019 - 04:41 AM.

#1486 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:15 AM

Jesken Town Centre will require an overpass in order to proceed so one will be built there and that might tie into a broader project involving traffic redirection at Mt. Newton X.

We’re also going to see at the very least a flyover onto Keating.

Sidney and North Saanich have a combined population of 23,000 people as of the 2016 census and downtown Sidney has quite a bit of densification going on. BC Ferries will also be increasing sailings to once every 30 minutes by the mid-2020’s.

Mean while the entire peninsula will be at around 45,000 by the 2021 census.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1487 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,992 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:23 AM

a flyover for keating makes sense.  just start on the darned thing now.  it can actually be done fairly "slowly" to save some money.  preparation of the of everything except the cross span.  the topography supports a fairly easy installation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2019 - 07:26 AM.

• North Shore likes this

#1488 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

We’re also going to see at the very least a flyover onto Keating...

This has been discussed for all of the 40 years I have lived in the region and I bet it will still be in the discussion stage a generation from now.

#1489 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:33 AM

Nah, it’ll get built. McKenzie has been discussed since the early 1990’s.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1490 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

McKenzie finally got built due to extraordinary population pressure and as an attempted political win ahead of an election. The same situation is unlikely to re-occur at Keating.
  • Cassidy likes this

#1491 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

Oh sure it is. If it’s a matter of public safety it’ll happen. The peninsula isn’t growing quickly but it is growing. Brentwood is adding density and eventually a big tenant will move into the business park that will draw more traffic. There’s also the matter of increasing queues to turn left. They’re growing and eventually traffic will be backed up into the travel lane, if it doesn’t already every once in a while. That’s an extremely dangerous situation.
  • North Shore likes this

Know it all.

#1492 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:10 AM

Weren't there rumors of Costco opening a store on the Peninsula somewhere? I don't go up there very often so I'm not sure where one would fit but considering all they're doing to Milstream/VMP's overpass/connection to the TCH pretty much due to Costco I could see them upgrading whichever exit ends up being the best for a Costco on the Peninsula. 

#1493 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

There was an actual plan to locate a Costco at Jesken Town Centre on the east side of the highway immediately north of the railway museum.

The project never moved ahead but it’s still being planned as a shopping centre although the biggest hurdle will be a $20-$30 million interchange to serve its traffic needs. If it moves ahead that’s when Mt Newton X would be closed at the highway and traffic routed via the interchange.

Then there was a rumour (last year I think?) that Costco was coming to the airport but that fell flat.

Know it all.

#1494 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:49 AM

There was a plan for a Costco on the old Butler lands on Keating when Jack Mar was Mayor, they were talking with various groups and were looking at subsidizing the overpass. Mar shot it down, said it would kill the rural nature of the Keating Industrial Park (I'm being sarcastic here) and the end result was Stu Young calling them and offering Langford.... 

#1495 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:12 AM

Ah right, there was indeed the early 90’s Costco proposal.

It’s actually kind of amazing to think that Langford’s rise was predicated on Central Saanich telling Costco to take a hike.

Know it all.

#1496 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

Then there was a rumour (last year I think?) that Costco was coming to the airport but that fell flat.

I guess it was that since I definitely heard it recently although I thought it was they were looking for land to build a second one and were considering areas on the Peninsula, I hadn't heard airport specifically. 

#1497 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:50 AM

Sidney....Home depot....Mt Newton X.......Off topic?

#1498 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

Is there a thread for the Pat Bay Highway?

#1499 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:29 AM

Is there a thread for the Pat Bay Highway?

Here's one.  There may be others.

https://vibrantvicto...iurban-systems/

• Nparker likes this

#1500 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,992 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:18 AM

this guy is very big on hyperbole.

https://www.timescol...rity-1.23650800

and seriously misses the point often.  nobody wants to wreck the watershed.  we want a simple alternate route that's only used in extreme cases/closures.  and yes we'll accept a tiny tiny risk.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2019 - 05:21 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users