New Brew From Phillips

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

My favorite local (Esquimalt) brewery Phillips has come out with a new product. I saw it in a private liquor store yesterday for the first time: "Blue Truck Ale." It's named after their original delivery vehicle. It has 5.0% alcohol and tastes like a lighter version of my favorite Phillips IPA which has 6.5% alcohol. Look for it and give it a try.

The store I saw it in was the Spinnaker's in the Vic West/Save on Foods shopping center. I have not seen it at the BC Liquor Stores yet, but I'm sure it will be there before long.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

I loved that truck. Though I think that it cost Matt far more money in repairs than it saved him on delivery costs.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

I tried Blue Truck the other day. Tastes fine.

As for the new Chocolate brew, I found it difficult to finish because of the sweetness. It's almost on the verge of a liqueur(sp?) but definitely a unique product that will undoubtedly find a niche clientèle.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

I think the flavored stuff is for women. I never understood the appeal of berry flavored or chocolate flavored beer. Call it something else because it isn't beer. I don't like flavored coffees either and flavored coffee isn't coffee and should likewise be called something else.

#5 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

Please. Be more sexist.

Having said that, I do think that flavoured beer is mostly definitely aimed at people who don't actually like beer....

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

I love beer but can still appreciate the rasberry beer by Phillips.

It has a whole new look!

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

I heard Saltspring brewery is going under.

#8 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:34 PM

Blue Truck has been available on tap at a number of locations around town for a while now. I've been having it at Smith's when I've not felt like having the delicious Double Chocolate Porter. It's good to see that's it's moved to bottles and become a regular item (I think it started out as a seasonal beer).

In other news, I hear from a reliable source that the Phoenix Beer is about to transition out of the brown stubby bottle as there is a supply problem. Look for it in a more traditional long neck bottle before too long.

#9 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:34 AM

I think women drink Seabreezes and Crantinis too. I'm sexist for noticing female preferences?

The Phoenix Gold Lager is already in regular sized bottles and packaging in the BC Liquor Stores.

I'm going to have to contact the brewery and find out where their products are on tap. I've only seen the Phoenix lager in a couple of places and would have tried the blue truck earlier if it was offered.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

Taking the Pheonix out of the stubby was the worst business decision they could have made. It is one of its key identifiable factors. Now it's just another lager.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:06 AM

There was only ever a planned 3 year life span for the stubby bottle. The supply was discovered in warehouse in Oregon I believe, anyways while Phillips had a deal with the liquor stores to reroute as many of the returned bottles as possible back to him, over time there was certain to be an end to the supply through breakage and other source receycling etc...

It has a whole new look!

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

I'm going to have to contact the brewery and find out where their products are on tap. I've only seen the Phoenix lager in a couple of places and would have tried the blue truck earlier if it was offered.

Garrick's Pub in Bastion Square has Blue Truck on tap and so does the Bent Mast in JB. Phoenix has always been a staple of Brickyard's offerings as well but I'm not sure about Blue Truck.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

There was only ever a planned 3 year life span for the stubby bottle. The supply was discovered in warehouse in Oregon I believe, anyways while Phillips had a deal with the liquor stores to reroute as many of the returned bottles as possible back to him, over time there was certain to be an end to the supply through breakage and other source receycling etc...

Too bad, because I bet they've seen a significant drop in sales since the change.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

^I'll take that. The only reason I ever tried Phoenix in the first place (this was before I knew it was a local company) was because of the bottle. I thought if someone is making their product stand out it's either because the taste is horrible or the taste is great -- warranting greater exposure.

Thankfully it was the latter.

Know it all.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

"...which I will taste with you sometime in the future."

A cool beer taster tastes Phillips' brews:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yl2jwK9hT1E

Know it all.

#16 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:27 AM

He needs to work on his sound sync.

#17 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

Blue Truck and Double Chocolate Porter are both on tap at The Mint.

#18 homebrewer

homebrewer
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

Blue Truck and Double Chocolate Porter are both on tap at The Mint.

I have Longboat double chocolate porter on tap at home :)

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

...on tap at home?

Know it all.

#20 homebrewer

homebrewer
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:57 AM

...on tap at home?

That is correct 8)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users