PROPOSED
780 Blanshard Street - residential
Uses: condo, hotel
Address: 780 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
780 Blanshard Street is a proposal to construct a 20-storey mixed-use hotel and residential complex within and... (view full profile)
Learn more about 780 Blanshard Street - residential on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 780 Blanshard Street | B.C. Power Commission | Residential; hotel | 22-storeys

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

Since local officials claim they want to emulate what is happening today in Europe, the above design should be a slam-dunk as inspiration for 780 Blanshard.  :lol:

#22 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:39 PM

Some of the real loonies are out in full force on a certain local FB group now re: this purchase. I worry some of them might have a breakdown re: "Vancouver developers", lol. If they are any indication I hope Reliance shows up at any neighborhood open houses with body armour because I suspect they're in for an earful. 

#23 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

The point about Victoria being nothing like Vancouver is well taken. But that's a pretty old photo of Victoria that is missing a few buildings. The old train station is still in your shot.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#24 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

/\ .........okie doke...point taken. And you're correct I think that shot dates from ~ 2006.

Below then is YYJ taken in September 2018, and a comparative shot of YVR. The latter is pretty clearly a global city that is often rated in the Top 5 for livability (cost of renting most definitely excepted!). The other is equally obviously, at best, a mid-sized regional center not infrequently initially confused by international tourists with namesake places in Australia and Texas, respectively. At present, population-wise, it is one-seventh the size of its provincial sibling...if you toss in all residents on the south island from Port Renfrew to the southern Gulf Islands. Otherwise its dwarfed even more.....

And no matter when a pic of the Victoria skyline dates from, and no matter how many 10-12 floor buildings the city constructs over the next fifty+ years, it will never ever be confused - by any rational thinking person - with that other place physically, regardless of what nonsense the anti-development fear mongering crowd conjures up. "Just like Vancouver!" Riiiiiiight....

....because of course there is no way anyone can possibly tell apart the aging, utterly nondescript eleven-floor Manhattan condo on View Street from the 62-storey Shangri-la skyscraper in Vancouver - they look sooooo much alike.... :squint:

Attached Images

• YVR2.jpg
  • YYJ2.jpg

Edited by AllseeingEye, 20 August 2019 - 05:11 PM.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike and grantpalin like this

#25 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

https://www.timescol...ment-1.23945814

• Nparker likes this

#26 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

^ I have spent some time in that building. Great bones.
  • Nparker likes this

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:51 PM

So does this begin another decade-long battle with the city?

#28 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:17 AM

Ten-on-the-10th-February-2021b.jpg

Northern Junk, Capital Iron lands and Victoria real-estate development Q&A with Jon Stovell of Reliance Properties

"We have ten major properties in the City of Victoria that over time can add up to over two million square feet of development potential, so we are in Victoria for the long term and highly committed."

"I think the City and the community as a whole is struggling a little bit with its identity as it sits on the cusp of changing from a large college and government town, or perhaps a ‘Museum City,’ to a globally relevant urban area at the gateway to the Pacific Rim. Think of Vancouver and Victoria as New York and Boston."

"...our newly-acquired Capital Iron lands are planned to move forward as a major project for the north side of the downtown at over seven-acres on which 15-to-16 buildings will rise with uses that include marine-related and light industrial spaces, offices, cultural enterprises and residences."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:43 AM

We are happy to be accommodating Victoria's arts community while we move through the permitting process for this project:

https://www.instagra...ium=share_sheet

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:47 AM

We are happy to be accommodating Victoria's arts community while we move through the permitting process for this project:...

So they are likely to have many years of tenancy then.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#31 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 12:17 PM

From DRA:

Reliance purchased the heritage art deco building in 2019. A Pre-CALUC meeting via Zoom was held 15 December 2021. Reliance proposes to add an 18-storey tower (17 floor residential + 1 floor amenity) above the existing 4-storey heritage building (hotel use) with a total FSR of 4.6. No on-site parking proposed.

A rendering of the new tower should be available in the coming days …
  • Nparker likes this

#32 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 12:32 PM

Now that I read this again, it might actually be a 22-storey building in total (18 new floors on top of the 4 existing )…

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 18 January 2022 - 12:32 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#33 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 February 2022 - 11:30 AM

Exciting times, Kapten! The downtown certainly needs more hotel capacity.

South downtown art deco-styled office complex to anchor 21-storey hotel/residential project

https://victoria.cit...ential-project/

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 11:56 AM

No parking with a hotel is gonna be a problem. 

• Mike K. likes this

#35 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 11:59 AM

It’s possible that they will make arrangements with the nearby Chateau Victoria to share parking…
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:20 PM

I don't think the Wintergarden has plans for parking, either, and the Hyatt on Broad Street will be quite limited in on-site parking as well. Maybe that's the trend nowadays, for urban hotel locations, I wonder?

Know it all.

#37 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,336 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:24 PM

I don't think the Wintergarden has plans for parking, either, and the Hyatt on Broad Street will be quite limited in on-site parking as well. Maybe that's the trend nowadays, for urban hotel locations, I wonder?

A lot of travelers are choosing on-demand self-driving for-hire cars, over dedicated rental cars now.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 February 2022 - 01:25 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:36 PM

That's one way to say taxi, I guess.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 01:38 PM

I don't think the Wintergarden has plans for parking, either...

Perhaps arrangements will be made with the View Street parkade.

#40 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 03:56 PM

This pre-app is now up on Development Tracker:

https://tender.victo...Number=CLC00379

• Nparker, newbie_01 and freedom_2008 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users