Capital Daily

• Please log in to reply
554 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 12:01 PM

Do you have the blue check mark? I only follow trusted accounts.

As of today, yes!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,861 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 12:02 PM

Total sell-out to Musk.
  • todd likes this

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 12:03 PM

It cost $8US.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 02:30 PM

Isn’t that more an Environment Canada issue? forecast did not say it was going to be that bad until they changed it that evening (if memory serves correctly)

Maybe they could dig in more and find out why EC has crappy technology.

i'll add that i do check the weather daily.. we were hit by multiple storms back to back.. we knew about the rain well in advance and even the wind but it was supose to die down by monday (little rain in the forcast) snow expected in the morning but meant to disappear as the evening progressed and i did work monday.. when i went to work it was still listing at a freezing temp listed with the planned to rise during the evening... the amount of snow we got was not what i had expected by the predicted forcast (snow was blowing sideways)...  and sadly i had to very carefully drive home at 9pm in that (thank goodness for all season tires) there were a few sketchy areas but i managed it..  so i do understand why they didn't have a solid plan for setting up the cold weather shelters... though i do think the many poverty industries that we have in this town could have rallied much quicker once they saw that the snow was starting to stick to the ground, they should have plans in place weeks ago..  this is not something that should catch them off guard because as sure as the sun will shine, we will have a cold wet windy winter

#205 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 02:47 PM

...they should have plans in place weeks ago. this is not something that should catch them off guard because as sure as the sun will shine, we will have a cold wet windy winter

This.

There is no legitimate excuse for local social service agencies not to have a coordinated severe weather plan in place from at least November-February each year. It's not as though sheltering the homeless only became an issue since this past spring.

#206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 06:21 AM

Oh, hi there. Are you still reading? You know the story is over, right? "With files from Brishti Basu" is the last line.

This is Jimmy, the guy who wrote the story (with lots of help from Brishti). I just wanted to take a second to let you know that I really appreciate you reading this story. You may have noticed that Twitter is headed in a sketchy direction. If you want to make sure you don't miss our next scoop, sign up for our newsletter, above. It comes out every morning, and it has lots of information you won't find even here on our website.

If you're already getting our newsletter, thanks! That's great. Have you considered becoming a member? Members are so important to what we do here, and if you've got $10/month you can spare, I encourage you to sign up to join more than 1,300 people who have decided to support us that way.

If you're already a member, then, well, it figures that you'd still be reading at this point. Keener. You keep being you.

https://www.capitald...f-isolate-covid

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 November 2022 - 06:21 AM.

#207 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:15 AM

Good morning! I sent you an email asking for your support this past Monday, and boy, did you deliver.

More than 60 people and counting have signed up to support our local journalism and our attempt to invest time and resources into investigations on overlooked local issues that matter to Greater Victoria.

I read that email. It was a bit needy, but well-done. And if it got them an EXTRA $600/mo. ongoing, good on them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2022 - 08:15 AM.

#208 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:21 AM

I read that email. It was a bit needy, but well-done. And if it got them an EXTRA $600/mo. ongoing, good on them.

Good for them, covers the cost of a 'reporter'!

#209 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:42 AM

you don’t even get a bottle of snake oil

#210 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:02 PM

F182D6BC-9F12-4159-B651-853958D235EA.jpeg

How was the bar assigned? CD can be a good read but not every day, maybe every third, I don’t get the email newsletter however

#211 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:04 PM

“Bar” in this case means “except”.

#212 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:23 AM

Happy Friday!

I'm working on my next investigation, and I can't say too much yet—except that I'm running up against a lot of secrecy. Closed-lipped agencies make whistleblowers, tipsters, and leakers all the more vital to the work we do in exposing bad actors.

With that in mind, please reach out if you have any information that would be valuable to the public—especially if you work in our schools, police departments, government, or any other public body that's not exactly known for transparency.

Whistleblowers, come talk to us—we all need you.

— Tori Marlan, investigative reporter

#213 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:17 AM

^ That is really specific! Sounds more like a fishing exercise to me.

• Nparker and Lorenzo like this

#214 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:50 PM

Sounds like a bad Victoria Secret ad. Hope it’s something scandalous
  • Matt R. likes this

#215 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 06:32 AM

https://www.thewestshore.ca/

Welcome to The Westshore!

Thank you for signing up – we're so glad you're here. You’re now part of a growing group of Westshore residents who want to stay in the loop on what’s happening in BC’s fastest-growing community.

I’m Zoë, your reporter for The Westshore. I’ve been working as a journalist throughout BC for a few years now, and have been happily ensconced on the Island for the last two. I love how enthusiastic Islanders are to share what's going on around them, and I want you to know my inbox is always open to hearing your stories.

From toe-numbing polar bear plunges in the Juan de Fuca strait, to hikes in East Sooke Regional Park for its jaw-dropping views, this region has so much to offer. It also has important issues and conflicts that are developing before our eyes. I live and breathe the Westshore and am proud to call it home. I can’t wait to tell the stories that matter to you.

The Westshore is a venture by Capital Daily, aims to provide a much-needed focus on the ever-growing, ever-evolving Westshore. You can expect the same quality of storytelling and journalism that Capital Daily has become known for. The Westshore will arrive twice weekly in your email on Tuesdays and Thursdays, first thing in the morning.

Reach out to me with any stories, tips, and inquiries at zoe@thewestshore.ca.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2022 - 06:33 AM.

#216 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:39 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I clicked on the Scott Goodmanson story to read about Langford's new mayor, and the story is "subscribe walled". You don't have to pay, but you have to subscribe to The Westshore to read it.

#217 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:57 AM

You can sign up with a fake email. 

#218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:00 AM

I don't think its so much to ask that you give them your e-mail for the article.   You can mark the first thing from them as spam if you want nothing ever to do with it again. 

Or maybe enjoy their twice weekly e-mails.   :rtfm:

I like the Cap Daily e-mail every day even if I rarely open.  

#219 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 07:08 AM

Are you planning to shop for gifts this weekend? At a loss for ideas?
Dreading the crowds? Bothered by holiday consumerism?

Allow me to suggest a meaningful, eco-friendly, hassle-free option: the gift of Capital Daily membership.

Capital Daily membership + donation to the Human Fund = Christmas DONE

#220 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 08:13 AM

I'd rather get a lump of coal in my stocking.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users