Photo

Capital Daily

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#101 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:02 PM

Why is nobody talking about Capital Daily’s billionaire owner. They act like a small indie outlet trying to make it in the world but they’re bankrolled by the wealthy business elite and I bet this drama borne of very poorly researched or purposefully slanted and factually incorrect stories is good for business. The game is eyeballs first virtue last and them pretending it’s not is so obviously fake.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#102 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:53 PM

What do billionaire business elites have to gain by supporting the anarchist activist-fueled destabilizing views of the woke?

#103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,319 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 03:53 AM

What do billionaire business elites have to gain by supporting the anarchist activist-fueled destabilizing views of the woke?

I think that's what a lot of us cannot quite figure out.  seems they are suckers for punishment.

#104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 04:41 AM

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2021 - 04:44 AM.

#105 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 09:52 AM

Man, I’d consider voting for Stephen Andrew if it weren’t for his constant and petty Twitter beefs.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#106 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 November 2021 - 10:16 AM

Some serious arrogant disdain taking place. Crybully comes to mind. Sure likes to demean and dismiss others but whines a lot when there's pushback. 

• Nparker likes this

#107 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 10:28 AM

Man, I’d consider voting for Stephen Andrew if it weren’t for his constant and petty Twitter beefs.

He keeps punching down which I don't understand. Stephen has a legit beef with the Capital over the political attack but he isn't going to win over any of their supporters and the rest of us see the Capital for what it is. 

I think that Nov 25th will be an important day. We are supposed to see if Steve Wallace will be charged with sexual assault as the Capital said he would be.

#108 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 10:45 AM

Why is nobody talking about Capital Daily’s billionaire owner. They act like a small indie outlet trying to make it in the world but they’re bankrolled by the wealthy business elite and I bet this drama borne of very poorly researched or purposefully slanted and factually incorrect stories is good for business. The game is eyeballs first virtue last and them pretending it’s not is so obviously fake.

In fairness to Andrew I have never heard of him referring to himself as a billionaire. I know that some people who were pumping Wecommerce did that but Andrew himself never did as far as I know. Andrew is pretty transparent, he has had some good wins and some spectacular failures. I doubt that with his hands in so many small business pots he has much time for the day to day at the Capital.

#109 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 06:53 PM

^Andrew who?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#110 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 07:03 PM

Wilkinson.

He’s the businessman sat at the helm of an empire comprising of over 30 companies with a combined value of between C$600 million ($471 million) to C$1 billion. In short, he’s someone you need to know more about. Do just that with these ten things you didn’t know about Andrew Wilkinson.

https://moneyinc.com/andrew-wilkinson/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2021 - 07:04 PM.

• LJ likes this

#111 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:01 PM

Our reporting on Timothy Durkin’s role in the downfall of the Sooke Harbour House has earned us readers and praise from around the world. Many of you have reached out to us to tell us how important the story was and how much you appreciated the work we did.

Durkin’s actions recently earned him a notice of hearing from the BC Securities Commission for allegedly defrauding an investor for $1 million. And now, it’s earned us a lawsuit.

Durkin, who we had sought comment from in multiple ways before the story ran, sent us a legal threat shortly after we published the story  demanding that we take it down. We declined to do so. The story had been thoroughly reported and fact-checked, and we stand by it.

Now Durkin is suing us in the British Columbia Supreme Court.

We are being sued because we did our jobs, and we did them well. This story was expensive to produce in time and fees for third parties, but it was worth every penny to bring the important and under-reported information it contained to light. For the next two weeks, we are asking our community to help us defend our reporting.

This type of work carries an inherent risk. The stories we report can be challenging and the subjects we investigate do not always react favourably. These stories are a matter of public interest though, and we will strive to continue to tell them.

We are willing to spend the time to fight for press freedom. Thousands more in legal fees to defend our reporting, however, is more than we can swallow alone.

How can I help?

Membership is critical as we look towards the future sustainability of Capital Daily. For each membership purchased, whether annual or monthly, that money goes directly to funding our investigative reporting, and now, we’re asking for you to consider signing up.

Donate! We have set up a legal fund for this lawsuit and every little bit helps get us closer to our goal.

#112 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:17 PM

Is Capital Daily taking over for the WE Charity?

You are looking for public funding to pay lawyers to defend your freedom of the press?

Really?

Don’t you run your articles by your legal department before you publish?

#113 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:45 PM

Looks like he is suing Jimmy Thomson directly.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 November 2021 - 05:45 PM.

#114 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 06:07 PM

Complete list of defendants is Tori Marlan, Jimmy Thomson, Capital Daily, Overstory Media Group, Farhan Mohamed, and Andrew Wilkinson.

Durkin appears to be representing himself. Perhaps he needs to economize, as he's involved in several other lawsuits:

Attached Images

• DurkinLawsuits.jpeg

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 22 November 2021 - 06:12 PM.

#115 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 06:11 PM

^ Thanks Jacques. Nothing gets by you. :)
  • Jacques Cadé likes this

#116 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 06:24 PM

I was only curious enough to pay the $12 to see the court documents.

Lawsuit was commenced in September. Cap Daily's lawyers have applied to have the suit thrown out under BC's Protection of Public Participation Act, the latest version of anti-SLAPP legislation. The hearing for the dismissal appears to be scheduled for January 17.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 22 November 2021 - 06:34 PM.

• On the Level likes this

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:44 PM

Karma is a *****.

#118 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:56 PM

I was only curious enough to pay the $12 to see the court documents.

Lawsuit was commenced in September. Cap Daily's lawyers have applied to have the suit thrown out under BC's Protection of Public Participation Act, the latest version of anti-SLAPP legislation. The hearing for the dismissal appears to be scheduled for January 17.

Thanks Jacques. I paid as well. This is great story about journalism.

Stay tuned.

#119 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:38 PM

Is Capital Daily taking over for the WE Charity?

You are looking for public funding to pay lawyers to defend your freedom of the press?

Really?

Don’t you run your articles by your legal department before you publish?

As many of have commented here, The Capital reporting is at times sloppy at best. I would not all all be surprised if they wind up with another lawsuit related to the Wallace Driving School articles if charges are not laid in that case.

Edited by spanky123, 22 November 2021 - 08:38 PM.

#120 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:31 AM

And now a blaaaast from the past.

South Island Prosperity Project frontman Dallas Gislason said on Twitter "Wow, amazing work on this team effort! Absolutely A+, top notch, professional journalism at work!" @dallasgislason

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or if he's serious that the **** up of the decade is A+.

Edited by Banksy, 24 November 2021 - 08:34 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users