Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#221 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

Makes you wonder if you look stronger as an independent right out of the box rather than a TV reject. 

Most TV rejects are generally sold without a box anyways...can usually find some great deals!

#222 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:09 PM

I'm the right white person to act on reconciliation, they all say. 

I never see any of them volunteering on Rose Henry's campaigns.

• rjag and sebberry like this

#223 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:21 PM

All these people investing money looking for a TV nomination. What happens to the losers? ...

By losers you must mean the CoV taxpayers. I think we all know what happens to them regardless of who wins the TV nomination.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#224 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:23 PM

Some people are saying former councillor Madoff will be throwing her hat in the ring.

I’m not convinced that’ll be the case.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#225 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

She hasn't ruled it out.

She retains some solid support. 

• rjag likes this

#226 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:40 PM

Some people are saying former councillor Madoff will be throwing her hat in the ring...

Oh goodie. It'll be 1993 all over again.  :whyme:

#227 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:52 PM

I could even see Chris Coleman run again but he'd have to see a wide lane opening up. I can't see him wanting to compete against Pam, a strong TV candidate and whoever else shows up. 

You've also got "close but no cigar" people like Grace Lore, Andrew Reeve, Stephen Andrew and other popular "losers" who might be tempted to give it another try. I haven't heard anyone yet say "definitely not".

#228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:01 PM

I'm voting for "Changes the Clown". His time has come.

#229 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

Here's the story of the 2010 By-election.

Sonya Chandler announced she was quitting and caught everyone by surprise as the regular election was only a year away. I was completely shocked. I had just moved to Saanich but as the ninth-place finisher in 2008 I thought this race would be mine to lose. I knew the other popular losers of 2008 like Hollohan, Vandyke and Van Alstine had quit politics for good.

News reports started circulating that several people were thinking of putting their hat in the ring, including me. 

So Barry Hobbis, the harbour ferry guy, calls me and says he wants to meet. I figure he wants to offer support so I naively went to his harbour office alone and unprepared. 

He flat out states he's running no matter what. I said we would be pulling the same voters and would split the vote right up the middle allowing Marianne Alto an easy win. He said he didn't care, he was going for it, all in. 

Now if I weren't such an idiot I would have realized beforehand he was running and I would have been prepared to tell him I cleaned his clock in 2008 and I'd do it again in 2010 as I was trending up and he wasn't. 

I was shocked and decided it was futile. I cowardly declined to run and Alto went on to beat Hobbis 4529 to 3220. He had a clear path and the blowhard couldn't pull it off. 

• rjag likes this

#230 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:19 PM

I'm voting for "Changes the Clown". His time has come.

Why not RyMo, too? Seriously couldn't be any worse than some of the others we have. I don't think we, as taxpayers are asking for a lot. The job isn't as difficult as Ben pretends because they don't appear to even be doing the job. They've invented this whole dress-up game/student council/pretend job where every motion, every idea appears to have materialized in the wake of a massive bong hit.
  • Nparker likes this

#231 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

Why not RyMo, too?...

I'm not sure I'm ready to see his "uniquely personal" campaign images again.  ;)

#232 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:25 PM

The job isn't as difficult as Ben pretends because they don't appear to even be doing the job.

Every councillor gets their agenda binder on Friday and it takes several days to plow through it before the Council meeting the following Thursday evening.

I am told that some TV councillors only skim the binder the night before. 

You can tell because they'll ask a question at the meeting and a staffer will reply, "Um, as it states on PAGE ONE of the Executive Summary...."

• rjag likes this

#233 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

Why not RyMo, too?...

It appears he may be planning some sort of 2020 campaign: https://www.facebook.com/HeyRyMo/

#234 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:38 PM

It appears he may be planning some sort of 2020 campaign: https://www.facebook.com/HeyRyMo/

That website paints him as a mainstream candidate but last election he did a half-assed joke campaign. All he did was prop up an old door on a boulevard along with an incoherent explanation that it was some kind of art piece. 

Is he serious or is "mainstream candidate" just another joke costume to wear?

#235 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:38 PM

Looks like he's also going for the TV nomination.

#236 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

Looks like he's also going for the TV nomination.

My God, you're right. I can't believe it. Why embarrass yourself by sucking up to that group only to end up with a guaranteed rejection?

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#237 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:48 PM

My God, you're right. I can't believe it. Why embarrass yourself by sucking up to that group only to end up with a guaranteed rejection?

Don't be so sure. Looking at his Facebook there isn't much that seperates rymo from the rest of TV.
  • Nparker likes this

#238 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

TV voting age is.... 12. Huh.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#239 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

In the wake of Ben's recent wage hike request, and the backlash that is there - I'd think that a candidate that can separate themselves from the dumpster fire that has been created, would do well.  Specifically a candidate who:

1. Will focus on issues within the city's mandate and abstain/vote against issues outside of that mandate

2. Look at council reform (ward system) with an eye towards incremental amalgamation (core amalagamation)

3. Focus on keeping property tax increases to less than BC CPI (excluding increases required by the implementation of the sewage treatment plant)

4. Adequately fund the police force to effectively enforce the laws and bylaws that exist

5. Consider practical and pragmatic steps that can be taken to improve housing affordability and reduce the number of homeless people living in Victoria

6. Conduct a meaningful core review of city expenditures and look at opportunities to improve the city's non-tax revenues while reducing non-core expenditures

• Nparker, LJ, AndrewReeve and 1 other like this

#240 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:34 PM

...I'd think that a candidate that can separate themselves from the dumpster fire that has been created, would do well...

And that candidate should have these online initials: AJ  :) 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users