City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#261 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

Now it's March 14th, but wasn't it slated for February?

March 14th coincides with a lot of people being away for Spring Break, for gosh sake. Will there be advanced voting opportunities?

Two advance voting opportunities are required by law, eight are recommended by staff

#262 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:19 PM

I sure hope so. Mid-March is a very popular vacation time for many people.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#263 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:11 PM

given that no matter who wins it will make zero effective difference to the outcome of future votes, does it really matter when the by-election is held?

i am ready to vote for None of the Above!

• Nparker likes this

#264 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

if march 14 is the date they will need to appoint a CEO before christmas!?

#265 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

I sure hope so. Mid-March is a very popular vacation time for many people.

Not for her people.

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#266 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:58 PM

I never buy this "it's not the right time of year" nonsense. It's Christmas! It's back to school! It's Easter break! It's exam time! It's summer holiday time! It's winter break! It's spring break! Give me a break!

• John M. and newbie_01 like this

#267 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

^ agree.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2019 - 08:08 PM.

#268 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:53 PM

Can we just appoint whoever the TV candidate is and save ourselves the expense of holding a by-election? Does anyone honestly believe that a semi-moderate candidate has a chance in hell of getting elected in the CoV?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#269 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:16 PM

Can we just appoint whoever the TV candidate is and save ourselves the expense of holding a by-election? Does anyone honestly believe that a semi-moderate candidate has a chance in hell of getting elected in the CoV?

No difference this term, but I have this insane pipe dream that someone with just a whiff of moderation, fiscal responsibilty and knowledge of local government will get in, and will actually start calling out some of the others on some of their more lunatic ideas. Which might then inspire 1 or 2 other councillors to speak up a little, and maybe rein in the crazy a little.
  • pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#270 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:58 AM

Question:  someone had suggested a polling station at UVic, but given the school's location outside of municipal boundaries it wouldn't be possible to do that ?  UVic is in Oak Bay and Saanich ...

#271 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

^All three municipalities, including Victoria, have had polls at UVic in the past. 

#272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:34 AM

Question:  someone had suggested a polling station at UVic, but given the school's location outside of municipal boundaries it wouldn't be possible to do that ?  UVic is in Oak Bay and Saanich ...

I only "suggested" this because the CoV had a polling station at UVIc during the municipal election in 2018

Capture.PNG

https://www.victoria...-for-voters.html

#273 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:57 PM

No difference this term, but I have this insane pipe dream that someone with just a whiff of moderation, fiscal responsibilty and knowledge of local government will get in, and will actually start calling out some of the others on some of their more lunatic ideas. Which might then inspire 1 or 2 other councillors to speak up a little, and maybe rein in the crazy a little.

and there is also the possibility (another insane pipe dream) that someone of middle ground gets voted in and they have enough time on council and name recognition that they may consider running for the mayors seat in the following election since Helps has mentioned many times she has no plans to run again

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#274 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:10 PM

...I have this insane pipe dream that someone with just a whiff of moderation, fiscal responsibility and knowledge of local government will get in...

and there is also the possibility (another insane pipe dream) that someone of middle ground gets voted in and they have enough time on council and name recognition that they may consider running for the mayors seat in the following election...

Dare to dream folks. 

• pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#275 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:13 PM

Specifically a candidate who:

1. Will focus on issues within the city's mandate and abstain/vote against issues outside of that mandate

I like this. I can picture a set statement with each such abstention or vote, a calm version of Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam, that over time could educate additional voters and in a better world influence other council members.

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#276 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

CoV's City Clerk now says the most likely date for the byelection is April 7: https://www.timescol...tion-1.24035309

"Staff will report back to council in January with final cost estimates and recommendations for the appointment of a chief election officer. Once that’s done, a general voting day must be held on a Saturday within 80 days of the appointment."

#277 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:43 PM

Nearly 6 months after Collins abandoned the CoV council. Maybe just leave this position vacant until 2022 and save taxpayers thousands of dollars.

• mbjj likes this

#278 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:59 PM

Nearly 6 months after Collins abandoned the CoV council. Maybe just leave this position vacant until 2022 and save taxpayers thousands of dollars.

They aren't legally allowed to: http://www.bclaws.ca...01_03#section54

#279 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:11 PM

I think that's isitt's next motion
  • Nparker likes this

#280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:12 PM

March 14th was pretty silly.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users