Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#461 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

He’s got a good point... sadly no one reads the TC so it will likely be like the tree that falls in the forest when no one is there...

I’m still grateful for his voicing this politically incorrect opinion, where many others grumble quietly but never speak up. We need strong and loud voices out there. Right now, only one side of the debate has that...so they are winning...

#462 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

Good to see that Stephen has not learned his lesson that being nasty, negative, and talking down other candidates, gets you absolutely nowhere with voters. Right from the beginning of the 2018 election, it was clear that he had no selling points other than representing the keyboard-warriors's hatred of Lisa, Ben and co. Where was his vision? He still hasn't seemed to find one. If all these TV people and Lisa are so bad, why do they win by so much? Seems like most Victorians are more than satisfied with the direction the municipality is going in, and that's reflected by conversations I have with most people from Victoria outside of Vibrant Victoria and Facebook comments on various media outlet's posts. 

• Mr Cook Street and Victoria Watcher like this

#463 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:26 PM

Good to see that Stephen has not learned his lesson that being nasty, negative, and talking down other candidates, gets you absolutely nowhere with voters. Right from the beginning of the 2018 election, it was clear that he had no selling points other than representing the keyboard-warriors's hatred of Lisa, Ben and co. Where was his vision? He still hasn't seemed to find one. If all these TV people and Lisa are so bad, why do they win by so much? Seems like most Victorians are more than satisfied with the direction the municipality is going in, and that's reflected by conversations I have with most people from Victoria outside of Vibrant Victoria and Facebook comments on various media outlet's posts.

Not learned his lesson=having the courage and conviction to call out councillors who spout empty buzzwords without the ability or will to actually back up the bumperstickers. Hammond is a guy who seems to display true compassion and have a true desire to help those who need it.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#464 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

...Seems like most Victorians are more than satisfied with the direction the municipality is going in, and that's reflected by conversations I have with most people from Victoria outside of Vibrant Victoria and Facebook comments on various media outlet's posts. 

If we're speaking anecdotally - and it seems we are - I get the exact opposite impression from those I communicate with outside of VV/Facebook and other social media. Most people I encounter seem to think the folks on CoV council are way off base.

• rjag, sdwright.vic, theboss and 4 others like this

#465 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

You are  right about Lisa and Ben . The people spoke and here they are . Am I right in remembering that more people voted against Lisa when all the votes were counted than  voted for her . The public is fickle when there isn’t a clear right political  decision.  A lot of people were choked when  Trump was elected but   he was elected . I’m glad people you talk to are  happy with the  municipality’s political direction. We must not know the same people.

• sdwright.vic and A Girl is No one like this

#466 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:58 AM

I have not been following this by-election that close, but from the comments I did hear it seems the candidates are beating the same drum in regards to affordable housing crises.

What I would like to hear about is the Doctor crises?

It is impossible to find a doctor now in the region and it is only getting worse. Even nurse practitioners are quickly getting over whelmed.

Anyone hear the candidates talk about this? 

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#467 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:15 AM

it's not really city business.  unless you propose the city get into subsidizing doctors in some way to lure them here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 January 2020 - 06:15 AM.

• John M. likes this

#468 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:51 AM

^ That's exactly what some towns are doing.

https://www.theglobe.../article959799/

#469 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

Not seeing much outrage locally about this, even though every Victorian now uses quid pro quo in conversation. Another example of quid pro quo is Loveday asking the chief to stop complaining of he gets his funding. From Hammond’s letter:

“In addition to their “progressive” banner, their quid pro quo included substantial union and bike-lane proponent support. Why do you think that immediately upon taking office, council added jobs to the payroll and fast-tracked more bike lanes?”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#470 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

Everyone I have spoken with who lives in Victoria can't stand Helps or Isitt and didn't vote for them.

Here is an interesting article about civic politics

https://www.city-jou...SV1STPt6pWcwdNw

• A Girl is No one, rmpeers and Belleprincess like this

#471 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

it's not really city business. unless you propose the city get into subsidizing doctors in some way to lure them here.

However, you could argue that "Bring It On" has indirect impacts. Wasn't the Harris Green clinic going to close because the clientele had become challenging? If so that probably also has the effect creating longer wait times at Cook st and other clinics.

#472 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

And Harris Green Village already has a lot of security patrolling the stores and the property.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#473 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

Everyone I have spoken with who lives in Victoria can't stand Helps or Isitt and didn't vote for them.

I've never met anyone who admitted voting for them. But then it's perhaps not the kind of thing one might admit to. E.g. after the Elsner report came out, many people were apparently totally okay with sexual harrassment and voted for more of it. But its not like they're likely to go around bragging about how sexual harrassment is good and should be covered up, right?
  • Belleprincess likes this

#474 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:33 AM

Technically they would have violated FoIPPA I think as it is a public body not private and the violation would be against the City of Victoria.

First, file a complaint with the City. The City's Director of Administration is designated as the Head for the purposes of FIPPA. When they don't do anything, then file a complaint with the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of BC and they will investigate. This is not a new issue and there have been similar investigations in other jurisdictions.

Abuse of privacy in election settings is a hot topic for privacy commissioners currently. City councillors cannot use personal information submitted in connection with City business (which includes communicating in respect of planning issues) and then turn around and use that information, which was sent to the City and for which the City is responsible, for electioneering purposes.

The only way that this abuse can be stopped is by filing a complaint, having an investigation, and the privacy commissioner ultimately forcing the City, and indirectly Councillors, to comply.

• Awaiting Juno and Kungsberg like this

#475 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:46 AM

Sending targeted election advertising to politically active people outside election time (and its spending limits) is a huge advantage.

• Midnightly, Awaiting Juno, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:57 AM

There was an issue with the NDP gaining access to emails several elections back and using them to promote local candidates. I’m not sure what the repercussions were but we seem to be stuck in a perennial “it’s better to ask for forgiveness” cycle.

Know it all.

#477 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:58 AM

It seems it would be easy to prove if this is the case - create a city business specific email (ie. FirstInitialLastNameinVICTORIA@gmail.com) - then use that email and only that email to communicate with the city.  If you get election spam, they've violated privacy protocols.  Be careful - read the small print of any response you get, as it wouldn't surprise me if whoever has done this has included a "you consent to receive" message in their reply.

• Rob Randall and rmpeers like this

#478 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

That won't fly, I don't think. The threshold is you must explicitly acknowledge you wish to receive communications unrelated to official city business. It has to be done via a check box, or an email confirmation sent to your address. There's protocol for this sort of thing exactly because some people might think a little disclaimer is sufficient.

• Nparker, lanforod, Midnightly and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#479 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:04 PM

It points to many of the biggest issues I have with the CoV and the over-representation of special interests.  Blind ideology.

Activists deploy euphemisms like “transportation alternatives” and “transportation choices”; but at heart, their vision for mass transportation is not about choice but control.

If the CoV was serious about making a difference, they would manage the city holistically.  Want more people to take transit or ride a bike?  Great, make that option attractive.  Instead, we now have standing at a bus stop downtown less attractive....and safe.  Ride your bike downtown to risk having it stolen.

So how do we try to fix this?  By removing services, parking, mucking with traffic lights, create gridlock in an attempt to punish people out of their cars?  Up next, dubious air quality testing to add more ammunition to "change policy".

Extremists, whether they be on the right or left are drunk on ideology and seeking one thing.....control over others. 

Edited by On the Level, 20 January 2020 - 09:05 PM.

• aastra, Awaiting Juno and DustMagnet like this

#480 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:07 PM

...Extremists, whether they be on the right or left are drunk on ideology and seeking one thing.....control over others. 

This.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users