City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#481 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

Other than the Together Victoria candidate, who else has declared they are running?

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#482 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:34 AM

Jeremy L. Caradonna and Rachael Montgomery (her new campaign office is at 843 Fort).

#483 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

Jeremy L. Caradonna and Rachael Montgomery (her new campaign office is at 843 Fort).

It would appear Jeremy Caradonna also has an election website.  They both seem cut from similar cloth to the TV nominated candidate.  

• Belleprincess likes this

#484 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

It's like Bea Holland and Helen Hughes are from another century. Well, technically they are but you know what I mean. We are in a different era.

• Mike K., Bernard and Awaiting Juno like this

#485 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

The Helen Hughes' and Bea Hollands' are still here, they're just not interested in pursuing municipal politics.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#486 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

How much of a heads up to we get once the election date is announced? Right now, with all the red-carpet hype around the TV nomination, it feels like a fait accompli, with Victoria doomed to get another cookie-cutter councillor who says a lot of nice buzzwords but achieves little to actually help anybody. But free catered lunches, though, that's some great leadership.

Edited by rmpeers, 21 January 2020 - 12:03 PM.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#487 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:33 PM

...Right now, with all the red-carpet hype around the TV nomination, it feels like a fait accompli...

You're only getting that feeling because it is a fait accompli.

• rmpeers likes this

#488 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:19 PM

With the date now set for April 4, hopefully we will soon get a better sense of the candidates.

#489 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:57 PM

With the date now set for April 4, hopefully we will soon get a better sense set of candidates.

There. Fixed that for you. ;)

• rjag, Daveyboy and rmpeers like this

#490 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:37 AM

With the date now set for April 4, hopefully we will soon get a better sense of the candidates.

Trivia: the Chinese Qingming Festival, known as "Tomb-Sweeping Day" or "Ancestor's Day" in English, is observed on April 4 this year

#491 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

City has its pages up for the byelection: https://www.victoria...candidates.html

Nominations close Friday, February 28 at 4:00 pm. The fence-sitters have lots of time yet.

#492 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

City has its pages up for the byelection: https://www.victoria...candidates.html

Nominations close Friday, February 28 at 4:00 pm. The fence-sitters have lots of time yet.

They might have time, but when name recognition is part and parcel of a successful bid, sooner rather than later is a strategic advantage.  That said, I understand why there might not be moderates clamoring to stand up to be a rather small minority on a council that is likely to continue to make rather awful decisions.  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if more voters consider "not being on the current council" a huge asset come the next election.

• Nparker likes this

#493 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

I argued the same point last spring and I was wrong. The new election spending rules favour early entrants. You can raise and spend as much money as you would like ahead of the 30 day window and that may be a differentiator here.

#494 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

There are a lot of “progressive” candidates. I was thinking that tv would win by a landslide but their vote might be split. Does anyone know of any centrist/ left leaning/ non sjw candidates?
  • rmpeers likes this

#495 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:07 AM

There are a lot of “progressive” candidates. I was thinking that tv would win by a landslide but their vote might be split. Does anyone know of any centrist/ left leaning/ non sjw candidates?

None of the above!

#496 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:06 AM

Yes. Why can't there be some moderate old-school lefties on the menu? Is it because they'd be decried as fascists by Isitt's crew?
  • Daveyboy likes this

#497 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:01 AM

Well.. Rachael Montgomery has a real job and a real degree. That might set her apart a little.

Oh and she has a kid... so not progressive! 😋

Although...she says she’s a nurse but I can’t see nursing work in her linked in profile. only government office type work which I find a little disturbing.

I wonder where she lives...

#498 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:01 AM

Yes. Why can't there be some moderate old-school lefties on the menu? Is it because they'd be decried as fascists by Isitt's crew?

Probably

#499 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:06 AM

Well.. Rachael Montgomery has a real job and a real degree. That might set her apart a little.

Oh and she has a kid... so not progressive! 😋

Although...she says she’s a nurse but I can’t see nursing work in her linked in profile. only government office type work which I find a little disturbing.

I wonder where she lives...

She lives in esq. someone suggested her to me also. I’ve looked into her and she reminds me too much of Lisa helps. Rides a bike, climate change/ environment warrior, “we need to think in the future,” supported by that Carmen candidate. That’ll be a strong no from me. Would love to see someone from the business community on council.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#500 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:12 AM

...Would love to see someone from the business community on council.

Alas, I think those days are behind us.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users