Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#521 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

Um, people from the business community can be bike riders and care about climate change issues, and that's not just limited to the bicycle shop owners. There are entire businesses in Victoria built around environmental issues, but - beyond that- I've come across multiple executives in the private sector who bike or ride transit to their jobs. And of course there are entrepreneurs like Shane Devereaux (owner of Habit Coffee and Sherwood Cafe) that get around primarily by bike.

Geoff Young isn't a private sector guy, but he's got a PhD in economics from Harvard and he rides his bike to/from City Hall.

I think it would be good to have the perspective of a business leader on council, but I don't think that would preclude such a person from being engaged on environmental issues...

I get the feeling that you like your bicycle. Nothing wrong with that! I commend you. Nothing wrong with been an environmentalist either. But we have those kind of people on council already. I’m personally tired of the bike lanes, tired of the bag bans, tired of the pipeline meddling. I want a candidate who will focus on our city. Not provincial issues, not the fear mongering.
  • rjag, mbjj and Midnightly like this

#522 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:48 PM

Catherine Holt is leaving the Chamber, obviously very doubtful but I can dream I suppose. A by election win would pave the way to the Mayor's chair in the next election perhaps?

I heard many months ago that she was planning to run for mayor in the next election?

#523 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

... I want a candidate who will focus on our city. Not provincial issues, not the fear mongering.

Amen to this.

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and Belleprincess like this

#524 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

IF we don't get a candidate who can focus on our city, I anticipate we'll get more inappropriate use of our streets and parks.  Please take a moment to sign the petition and send a message to council that you expect our bylaws to be enforced for everyone!  Perhaps a strong petition might demonstrate the appetite to elect of forward thinking candidate who wants to protect this city for everyone:

https://www.change.o...ontent_en-ca:v7

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

...Please take a moment to sign the petition and send a message to council that you expect our bylaws to be enforced for everyone! ...

Done!

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#526 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

I get the feeling that you like your bicycle. Nothing wrong with that! I commend you. Nothing wrong with been an environmentalist either. But we have those kind of people on council already. I’m personally tired of the bike lanes, tired of the bag bans, tired of the pipeline meddling. I want a candidate who will focus on our city. Not provincial issues, not the fear mongering.

I actually don't own a bicycle!  I was just trying to make the point that candidates from the 'business community' may be passionate about climate change issues, bicycling, and the like.

I lived in Vancouver for 2.5 years when Gregor Robertson was mayor; he was an avid cyclist and bike lane advocate, but he was also an entrepreneur (co-founder of Happy Planet Juice Co.).  Other members of the business community in Vancouver who initially opposed some of the bike lanes wound up endorsing them eventually due to the increased business they brought along with the fact that their employees were using the bike lanes to get to work. 

So my other point - as a non-cyclist- is that bicycling infrastructure and initiatives against climate change can be good for the city's overall business climate.

• Rob Randall, Greg, John M. and 1 other like this

#527 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

I actually don't own a bicycle!  I was just trying to make the point that candidates from the 'business community' may be passionate about climate change issues, bicycling, and the like.

I lived in Vancouver for 2.5 years when Gregor Robertson was mayor; he was an avid cyclist and bike lane advocate, but he was also an entrepreneur (co-founder of Happy Planet Juice Co.).  Other members of the business community in Vancouver who initially opposed some of the bike lanes wound up endorsing them eventually due to the increased business they brought along with the fact that their employees were using the bike lanes to get to work. 

So my other point - as a non-cyclist- is that bicycling infrastructure and initiatives against climate change can be good for the city's overall business climate.

it's always about the "how" not the "what", especially with this council.

They seem to be able to find the absolute worst way to execute anything... unless the goal is disharmony, angst and a community pitted against itself. (hmmmm)

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#528 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

it's always about the "how" not the "what", especially with this council.
They seem to be able to find the absolute worst way to execute anything... unless the goal is disharmony, angst and a community pitted against itself. (hmmmm)

Absolutely. Some of the things they claim to want aren't necessarily things I disagree with. It's just that they seem to be able to screw things up at every turn; and, like Trump, they seem to derive their.strength from sowing division. Oh, and wasting time.
  • mbjj likes this

#529 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

I actually don't own a bicycle! I was just trying to make the point that candidates from the 'business community' may be passionate about climate change issues, bicycling, and the like.

I lived in Vancouver for 2.5 years when Gregor Robertson was mayor; he was an avid cyclist and bike lane advocate, but he was also an entrepreneur (co-founder of Happy Planet Juice Co.). Other members of the business community in Vancouver who initially opposed some of the bike lanes wound up endorsing them eventually due to the increased business they brought along with the fact that their employees were using the bike lanes to get to work.

Have you spoken with the business owners on fort and pandora? If you haven’t, I encourage you to do so

#530 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

Well.. Rachael Montgomery has a real job and a real degree. That might set her apart a little.

Oh and she has a kid... so not progressive! 😋

Although...she says she’s a nurse but I can’t see nursing work in her linked in profile. only government office type work which I find a little disturbing.

I wonder where she lives...

Pretty sure she is a nurse that has moved into more senior administrative roles. I am not positive but think she lives in Vic West.

EDIT: Yeah NM seems she lives in Esquimalt. Seems to be a more moderate option over TV IMO.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#531 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

Pretty sure she is a nurse that has moved into more senior administrative roles. I am not positive but think she lives in Vic West.

EDIT: Yeah NM seems she lives in Esquimalt. Seems to be a more moderate option over TV IMO.

I had a similar impression. Cautiously optimistic, would like to hear more about where she's at and what she would see herself bringing to the council.

#532 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

Just had an exchange on Twitter with a Montgomery supporter that really turns me off.  These people aren't interested in pragmatic solutions - they aren't interested in how their demands are to be funded, they just want it to happen.  Suggest that you give a tax credit for those who rent out one or more of the rooms of their place, and its "OMG heaven forbid you help the "RICH"" - anyone who has had the gaul to own property, pay property taxes, is looked upon with scorn.  It is ridiculous.  The problem needs pragmatic solutions that don't involve the city being a surrogate snow plow parent.

• NotHudsonMack and A Girl is No one like this

#533 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:49 AM

^A provincial tax credit? 

#534 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

Just had an exchange on Twitter with a Montgomery supporter that really turns me off. These people aren't interested in pragmatic solutions - they aren't interested in how their demands are to be funded, they just want it to happen. Suggest that you give a tax credit for those who rent out one or more of the rooms of their place, and its "OMG heaven forbid you help the "RICH"" - anyone who has had the gaul to own property, pay property taxes, is looked upon with scorn. It is ridiculous. The problem needs pragmatic solutions that don't involve the city being a surrogate snow plow parent.

That’s sad to hear. So TV without the banner for people who are wishing for something different and don’t realize yet that there is no difference other than the banner/lack thereof.
Thanks for sharing.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 01 February 2020 - 01:06 PM.

#535 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

Just had an exchange on Twitter with a Montgomery supporter that really turns me off.  These people aren't interested in pragmatic solutions - they aren't interested in how their demands are to be funded, they just want it to happen.  Suggest that you give a tax credit for those who rent out one or more of the rooms of their place, and its "OMG heaven forbid you help the "RICH"" - anyone who has had the gaul to own property, pay property taxes, is looked upon with scorn.  It is ridiculous.  The problem needs pragmatic solutions that don't involve the city being a surrogate snow plow parent.

Just revisited - I was mistaken, it was a Hardman supporter.  So TV.  My apologies.

• Nparker, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#536 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:26 PM

^ Well TV that is all of their supporters.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#537 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:16 PM

I think, fundamentally, that as a society we've confused enablement with compassion.  We've become a snowplow world, where there is this desire to just solve other people's problems for them.  There is a chunk of people for whom that is likely necessary (the severely disabled and severely mentally ill) - where the state needs to be like a parent because the person lacks the competency to meet their basic needs.  Then there's a whole swath of other people, who are really being harmed (enabled) in the name of compassion.  People who really need job search services, and career counselling, help with house search or finding room mates, or even just help with doing a budget - people who need to ask for help in one way or another, but who can get by without doing so because living in a vehicle or in the park is "ok".  Some people need to make a hard choice - and realize that having a pet or living in their desired location, just isn't feasible.  Some people need to choose to work more.  However, there's a chunk, a very vocal chunk of people who think the solution is to give them a home, a handout, or to give them a free pass on the local laws - and we're being taken advantage of as a result.  

So I'd like to see a candidate in the byelection that seems to understand the difference and who will focus on the things the city can do to make life a bit better for those who want to contribute, for those who want to abide by the laws.

Edited by Awaiting Juno, 02 February 2020 - 09:17 PM.

• Nparker, LJ, Daveyboy and 6 others like this

#538 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:03 AM

So I'd like to see a candidate in the byelection that seems to understand the difference and who will focus on the things the city can do to make life a bit better for those who want to contribute, for those who want to abide by the law

oh yes, of course.

but we have a slate here, TV.  they will win because 

1. people will ignore the election (because we have a slate and they don't see anyone to represent them.)

2. they, Ben Isitt is an expert at this, will pander using "us vs them" language to froth up the base (sound familiar?)

3. unions and other orgs will do everything they can to get the NDP elected.

Bunch of narcissists, with little to qualify them for the work, full of undeserved confidence, developed in their dogmatic echo chamber.  I mean, cmon, where else does a student, recently immigrated, with little (no?) work experience get elected to council?  It's a joke.

amoral at best.

barely care any more myself.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#539 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:40 AM

barely care anymore myself

Sadly, after the October 2018 local election results and the horrible governance we have been witness to since, I am afraid I have pretty much given up hope too.

• rmpeers likes this

#540 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

Sadly, after the October 2018 local election results and the horrible governance we have been witness to since, I am afraid I have pretty much given up hope too.

Don't stop caring.  The moment a person feels like it's time to give up - to abstain from voting, to abstain from voicing their reasonable and logically held positions, to abstain from politely challenging the stupid is the moment we are all truly lost.  It's also the moment to double down and say "Enough!" in a way that you can be heard.

• Daveyboy, A Girl is No one and Tailor like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users