Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#581 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

Yeah because this is some cutting edge imagery.

TV.png

It doesn't have to be cutting edge. But it does have to be consistent. And those colours and that partially cut-off square are used everywhere by them.

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#582 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

^Yes, consistency across various platforms. TV has solid branding, no question.

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#583 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

...TV has solid branding, no question.

And the worst candidates.

• sebberry, NotHudsonMack, mbjj and 1 other like this

#584 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

This by-election is important, and graphic design alone won't win the day (although is critically important).  There needs to be substance behind the graphic design.  A demonstration of intelligent thought and proposals going forward on how the candidate plans to address the challenges that are ahead of Victoria, and a realistic idea about where we're at and why that needs to change.  Packaging alone won't cut it, and attacks on current council (aside from, their trying really hard - but despite that, we're falling further behind) also won't cut it.  You need to be able to sway those who are Helps/TV voters who have become disillusioned by the actions that have been taken.  You also need an effective methodology to get out that consistent message.  

The name "A Better Victoria" is better than New Council - however, under the circumstances, if the candidate is Stephen Andrews, his personal branding as an independent might be better for the by-election.  I'm not sure its the name I'd choose for a slate (and one isn't needed this time) - because it may sound elitist and snobby to some (even though that absolutely should be the goal of anyone who serves on council).  I think the city wants an adult at the table - another person like Geoff Young (who had an exceptional showing in the last election), with the ability to temper the lofty goals of council.  Someone who will genuinely ask "Will this work?  Is this the best way to go about this?  What are the potential unintended consequences of this plan?  Can they be mitigated?".  I also think one of Helps' and TV's greatest weaknesses is their inability to truly represent every Victorian - the poverty stricken as well as those who own businesses or happen to live in Fairfield.  Highlight how divided our city is - how citizens are feeling the need to start petitions to get bylaws enforced.  How people living in vehicles wherever they want or tents in parks, is really not compassionate - and paint a picture that while you're lobbying senior levels of government for more funding, you're going to do what you can about it now.  Highlight how dysfunctional council is, and how a bit more structure and professionalism might mean it can do more and enable a wider diversity of voices at the table, including those voices that are otherwise engaged full-time in conventional jobs. 

If it is Stephen Andrews - he has a strong personal brand that he should leverage in the election - but yes, he'll need some help to get there and hopefully enough people will recognize that its important enough to make time.

• rjag, Stephen Andrew and Daveyboy like this

#585 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

I also think one of Helps' and TV's greatest weaknesses is their inability to truly represent every Victorian

I don't think they care if they represent every Victorian, so long as their voting base appeal is sufficient to get them elected. Even though the field of candidates likely splits the vote sufficiently to ensure those who "win" represent far from a majority of the electorate, Helps/TV actually believe they have the will of the people.

• Daveyboy, Love the rock and Belleprincess like this

#586 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:35 PM

You need to be able to sway those who are Helps/TV voters who have become disillusioned by the actions that have been taken. You also need an effective methodology to get out that consistent message..

One thought: of the things that Isitt/TV/Helps claim to stand for, what have they actually achieved? Is there
-less homelessness
-less addiction
-less racism
I just don't think they have any skills or experience to make life better for anyone. They talk and talk, and p*ss away people's hard-earned tax dollars, but they just can't deliver.

Edited by rmpeers, 15 February 2020 - 11:35 PM.

• rjag, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#587 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:46 PM

They talk and talk, and p*ss away people's hard-earned tax dollars, but they just can't deliver.

When you're driving completely outside your lane, it's very difficult to get to your destination.

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#588 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

One thought: of the things that Isitt/TV/Helps claim to stand for, what have they actually achieved? Is there
-less homelessness
-less addiction
-less racism
I just don't think they have any skills or experience to make life better for anyone. They talk and talk, and p*ss away people's hard-earned tax dollars, but they just can't deliver.

This - at some point the track record must speak for itself.  What pragmatic thing has been done to make life better for the struggling Victorian?  And at the same time, how much worse is life for the Victorian who isn't struggling?  The Victorian who has been asked to pay the tab while insults are hurled at them for having the audacity to at least pay their bills.  

And some of the problems are caused by a very real "ostrich" approach to understanding the problems in the first place.  They view people sleeping in vehicles or parks as being universally homeless (many are making a lifestyle choice, some are tourists, and some are without options).  Yet at the same time they aren't mandating shelters to report vacancy rates, they aren't working with homeowners and providers of accommodation to understand why they choose to not supply housing.They aren't working with employers to come up with workable temporary housing solutions.  Getting things done isn't their strong point.  

• Nparker, Love the rock, rmpeers and 2 others like this

#589 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:30 AM

Interesting points - valid too.

In 2008 there was an action plan. Dr. Perry Kendall laid it out in the Mayor's Task Force to end Homelessness. It’s a great read. The idea - focus on the top 50 users of health, social services and the criminal justice system.

The theory was to reduce cost to these areas and have a targeted approach to the “most frequent users” of the systems.

Here we are 12 years later. What evaluation was completed?

Where did it work? Where is did fail?

My fear is it became a political document and the change in political management caused this plan to be replaced or engineered to the mayor/council of the day’s vision and ideas.

New plans began. No evaluation of their success or failure.

And - here’s a really politically unpopular statement - there has been little to no evaluation of the work conducted by ALL social service providers working in the affordable housing and homelessness landscape.

If we asked for deliverables and reports, we could evaluate “where” and “what” programs have the best “return on investment”.

Yes, the organizations do admirable work. But, have we asked ourselves, is there an organization seeing better results than others?

I believe it is a fair question to ask.
  • rjag, LJ, Sparky and 5 others like this

#590 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

...how much worse is life for the...Victorian who has been asked to pay the tab while insults are hurled at them for having the audacity to at least pay their bills...

Remember this:

Fairfield has a a severe case of “affluenza” that will be remedied only with an injection of affordable rental housing, says Coun. Ben Isitt...

https://www.timescol...enza-1.23522013.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#591 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:41 PM

Interesting points - valid too.

In 2008 there was an action plan. Dr. Perry Kendall laid it out in the Mayor's Task Force to end Homelessness. It’s a great read. The idea - focus on the top 50 users of health, social services and the criminal justice system.

The theory was to reduce cost to these areas and have a targeted approach to the “most frequent users” of the systems.

Here we are 12 years later. What evaluation was completed?

Where did it work? Where is did fail?

My fear is it became a political document and the change in political management caused this plan to be replaced or engineered to the mayor/council of the day’s vision and ideas.

New plans began. No evaluation of their success or failure.

And - here’s a really politically unpopular statement - there has been little to no evaluation of the work conducted by ALL social service providers working in the affordable housing and homelessness landscape.

If we asked for deliverables and reports, we could evaluate “where” and “what” programs have the best “return on investment”.

Yes, the organizations do admirable work. But, have we asked ourselves, is there an organization seeing better results than others?

I believe it is a fair question to ask.

It's a very valid question. We have seemingly huge resources and infrastructure to help homeless people, so why are things not visibly improving?
  • Midnightly and Awaiting Juno like this

#592 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:16 AM

because for every one person that gets a free self contained apartment there are 5 others waiting to join that line to get one. that feel it’s close. So they have no incentive to work or improve their lot. they feel they can just wait it out until they get one.
  • Lorenzo, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#593 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:13 AM

From CBC News Metro Matters

http://newsletters.c...WQ0SfMVhUZT/wv 

The first political fallout from the demonstrations supporting Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs in their rejection of the Coastal GasLink pipeline project might happen in Victoria soon — just not in the way you think.

An election begins this week that could give a better sense of public mood in a municipality where protests have been at the forefront of people’s minds. Nominations open Tuesday for a city council byelection, and its council has had a way in the past year of drawing the ire of people on both the right and left.   

Consider: In April, some guy named John Horgan said they 
focus on issues“that seem to be all driven at provincial policy ... and not a lot of resolutions at the issues that affect taxpayers in Victoria.”

In October, Horgan talked about how all the new bike lanes in Victoria could be adding to congestion, throwing shade by saying “I'm sure that the City of Victoria has their reasons and I'm going to leave it at that."

And last week, Horgan raised his ire at the leading vote-getter on council, Ben Isitt, and his decision to take part in the blockade of the legislature by saying“my thoughts on that individual are not printable.”

Horgan obviously isn’t going to run for city council (we hear he likes his day job), but his comments indicate an unease some on the centre-left have with the current incarnation of council. And the presumed front-runner in the byelection, Stefanie Hardman, wrote last week about her support for the blockade at the legislature the day before it happened.    

There’s always the danger of reading too much into any byelection, but this could be the exception. Given all the controversy over the past year, if Hardman ends up facing no serious competition it’s a clear sign that Victoria voters are reasonably happy with a council that has a more expansive notion of its jurisdiction than local government normally does. 

But what if others put their names forward in the next 11 days, and run in opposition to the dominant political culture on council? 

It will stand as an interesting litmus test of how much — or how little — the political ground has shifted since the 2018 elections. 

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg

#594 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

because for every one person that gets a free self contained apartment there are 5 others waiting to join that line to get one. that feel it’s close. So they have no incentive to work or improve their lot. they feel they can just wait it out until they get one.

Further to the "free" apartments, these are all going to be tear-downs 5 years from now. 

The internal destruction of the private apartments, and slightly slower destruction of the public areas begins immediately upon repurposing these former hotels and condo's, and continues until the buildings are no longer suitable for human habitation.

The next time you drive South on Burnside to Douglas, take a look in the West windows of the old Ingraham Hotel and contemplate if what you're seeing is sustainable.

Even if these buildings make it five years before being declared a tear-down, the likelihood of some major disaster (fire or otherwise) is always hovering over each of these now plentiful Victoria landmarks.

I'm not sure the dream of housing the homeless is even remotely close to "coming true" as per TV and the others so inclined on Council, as I'm not at all comfortable with calling these instant slums anything even close to a "home" in the first place.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#595 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

I am told the project at 844 Johnson is a perfect example of interior destruction. They are now reducing the number of people housed in that building.

Now, I believe the issue here is these are band-aid solutions to housing and should be more of a transition to housing.

We know that on average 75-percent of homeless live with addiction, mental health or a combination of both.

Many are “entrenched” homeless - they have lived on the street for an extended period of time.

When I reported on homelessness, we followed a team consisting of Victoria Police members (out of uniform) who visited people who had been homeless to check on their well being. The individuals welcomed the teams and genuinely appreciated the visit and they wanted the team’s help.

One woman has been living on the street for more than five years. She had a severe drinking problem and was recovering from injuries after being struck be a car crossing the street. Her unit was dishevelled and not best. She looked unhealthy. The help she wanted included money, she didn’t have enough to the end of the month to survive.

The team sat down with her and tried to assist her with budgeting. Apparently she had no idea how to make her revenue (government and bottle collections) last. She “front end loaded” her living expenses (including being a heavy smoker) and had little left 2 weeks before the end of the month.

The team expressed frustration that they couldn’t help more, or that there was sufficient support to help the newly housed.

Considering those factors, we set the newly housed up for failure by housing them without significant support.

Council can gloat about all the unit they added to the housing stock , but has it worked? I say it hasn’t. We are merely placing the inconvenient visual hosing issue behind closed doors.

We need a housing first strategy, but it needs to be a “supported housing first” strategy.

Let’s hope as the crisis inside these facilities builds, it forces more support from the levels of government - provincial and federal - responsible. My fear is this will be further downloaded on the City of Victoria through more police resources moved to gaps in social services or worse, some council members advance the notion Victoria needs to set up its own social services agency.
  • Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#596 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:58 AM

Stephen, are you seeking a seat on council in the by-election?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#597 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

Very likely
  • Rob Randall, Nparker, LJ and 8 others like this

#598 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

Very likely

Hurray! I will tell everyone I know to PLEASE vote for you!

• Stephen Andrew and A Girl is No one like this

#599 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:35 AM

Very likely

If so, you will have my vote.

• Stephen Andrew, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#600 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:46 AM

Very likely

Please do.  Please start us down a road back from chaos.  

• Nparker, Stephen Andrew and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users