Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#601 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:53 AM

One thing I think we need is a balancing voice who feels empowered to speak up. Geoff Young does sometimes but clearly he is not in a strong position. Perhaps a second moderate voice could make a real change.
  • Nparker, Stephen Andrew, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#602 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:54 AM

While I certainly don't always agree with Geoff Young, it can't be easy being the only moderate voice on Council, so he does have my sympathy.

• Stephen Andrew, Awaiting Juno and FogPub like this

#603 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

Had anyone noticed that Together Victoria’s aerial of downtown is about 15 years old? Not that it matters, but the downtown core looks considerably different now.
  • LJ and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#604 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:44 AM

While I certainly don't always agree with Geoff Young, it can't be easy being the only moderate voice on Council, so he does have my sympathy.

I would consider Alto and CTJ moderates unless your idea of a council moderate is Doug Ford.

Had anyone noticed that Together Victoria’s aerial of downtown is about 15 years old? Not that it matters, but the downtown core looks considerably different now.

Only VV nerds would notice [Comic Book Guy voice:] "Clearly,as the Corazon is seen under construction it is plainly obvious that..."

• Bernard likes this

#605 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

If Montgomery supports the blockade, it's clear she's just another out of touch lefty with no real grounding in the realities that are before us.  She's not a viable option in the upcoming byelection - she will put the interests of those who are willing to appropriate the very real challenges of others to advance their own causes ahead of the interests of everyday Victorians who are working to pay their bills and go about their business.  A little bit of critical thought goes a long ways - and frankly, we need to look at the situation before us with a critical lens.  On environmental grounds - the pipeline for LNG makes sense, particularly if it means it can expedite the conversion of coal powered electric plants elsewhere in the world (lowering GHG emissions).  On economic grounds - the pipeline makes sense and will provide employment and resources to FN communities.  So the only people for whom it doesn't make sense are zealots who wholeheartedly believe that with the flick of a switch, the carbon economy can be replaced with a "green economy", and that first nations should be confined to a "traditional lifestyle" that includes endemic poverty, a lack of clean drinking water and limited economic opportunities - despite their own democratically elected representatives demanding otherwise.  If she supports illegal protests - why should we believe she'll uphold bylaws at the municipal level?  Why should we believe she'll be pragmatic in her approach to solving municipal problems?

• LJ, Daveyboy, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#606 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

It’s sloppy. You don’t use 15 year old images of a city that has undergone massive change over that time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#607 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

What was the photo source? Was it credited?

#608 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:05 AM

No credit, no source. It appears to be from 2006.

Know it all.

#609 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

I'm guessing it's from one of the many sources of free stock photos.  Not infringing on copyright can be costly - so the free stock image sources (Pexels, Pixabay, etc.) offer an alternative that fits a shoestring budget.

#610 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

I would consider Alto and CTJ moderates...

On this council perhaps, but in most jurisdictions they'd be considered centre-left.

#611 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:24 PM

I'm guessing it's from one of the many sources of free stock photos.  Not infringing on copyright can be costly - so the free stock image sources (Pexels, Pixabay, etc.) offer an alternative that fits a shoestring budget.

Yup. Pretty sure this is it.

B8B8Y6.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#612 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:59 PM

I am told the project at 844 Johnson is a perfect example of interior destruction. They are now reducing the number of people housed in that building.

Now, I believe the issue here is these are band-aid solutions to housing and should be more of a transition to housing.

We know that on average 75-percent of homeless live with addiction, mental health or a combination of both.

Many are “entrenched” homeless - they have lived on the street for an extended period of time.

When I reported on homelessness, we followed a team consisting of Victoria Police members (out of uniform) who visited people who had been homeless to check on their well being. The individuals welcomed the teams and genuinely appreciated the visit and they wanted the team’s help.

One woman has been living on the street for more than five years. She had a severe drinking problem and was recovering from injuries after being struck be a car crossing the street. Her unit was dishevelled and not best. She looked unhealthy. The help she wanted included money, she didn’t have enough to the end of the month to survive.

The team sat down with her and tried to assist her with budgeting. Apparently she had no idea how to make her revenue (government and bottle collections) last. She “front end loaded” her living expenses (including being a heavy smoker) and had little left 2 weeks before the end of the month.

The team expressed frustration that they couldn’t help more, or that there was sufficient support to help the newly housed.

Considering those factors, we set the newly housed up for failure by housing them without significant support.

Council can gloat about all the unit they added to the housing stock , but has it worked? I say it hasn’t. We are merely placing the inconvenient visual hosing issue behind closed doors.

We need a housing first strategy, but it needs to be a “supported housing first” strategy.

Let’s hope as the crisis inside these facilities builds, it forces more support from the levels of government - provincial and federal - responsible. My fear is this will be further downloaded on the City of Victoria through more police resources moved to gaps in social services or worse, some council members advance the notion Victoria needs to set up its own social services agency.

i do agree with most of what your saying... but when it comes to the buildings like 844 johnson people say they are a success.. even though they are not... people look at them and say people are housed, they are safe... no one has seen photos of inside that building in over a year (last photos that came out a few months after it opened you can tell it was already taking a beating with holes in the wall and graffiti) there are no reports coming out of the building about anything negative, and even those that do are quickly downplayed or list it as "a building in the 800 block of johnson" so it would take something rather huge for the larger government to step in with supports

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#613 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:09 PM

I totally agree with you. I speak with first responders who frequent the building and they comment it is a disaster. Perhaps FOIs of agencies attending? My guess the powers that be will redact the images.
  • Nparker, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

#614 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

Perhaps a reduction in units now is just the first step to closing the facility. Based on first responder accounts, it is in terrible shape.
  • Stephen Andrew likes this

Know it all.

#615 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

That’s how they are hoping to make it look again.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#616 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

That’s how they are hoping to make it look again.

Except all the buildings will look like contemporary 844 Johnson.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#617 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:55 PM

Well, I guess it’s time that I wade into this discussion.

I want to be totally transparent where I’m at, hence no official or unofficial announcement at this time.

I honestly thought I would not run when I was previously responded to questions and /or requests to jump in. Like many thoughts expressed here, I have been dealing with that conflict in my mind.

My last run encouraged my to think about it again once I dealt with the emotion and disappointment of 9th place finish.

Then came information about some questionable election financing I will leave that there for others to comment or investigate, but the information I received troubles me greatly.

I will have more to say in the next two days, meetings and a very tough conversation with my husband still to be had.

I’m leaning to “Yes”, but, as I’m sure you can appreciate, these decisions are not made in isolation.

Thank you to all the nice comments. Thanks for the constructive criticism. And yes, I “need to get my butt in gear”,

Stephen

Second spot on Vibrant Victoria "Most Liked Content" https://vibrantvicto...?/best-content/

• A Girl is No one likes this

#618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:59 AM

The prospect of Andrew running in the by-election has certainly been well received on the Facebook page.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#619 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

As long as he's well-received at the polls in April.  :thumbsup:

• sebberry, Stephen Andrew and rmpeers like this

#620 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:00 AM

Second spot on Vibrant Victoria "Most Liked Content" https://vibrantvicto...?/best-content/

And now the most liked post in all of Vibrant Victoria.

Edited by todd, 18 February 2020 - 11:01 AM.

• Nparker, todd, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users