City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#621 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,799 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:54 PM

And now the most liked post in all of Vibrant Victoria.

in 14 years of vv.  stephen take that as a sign.  you have to run.

• Nparker likes this

#622 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:27 PM

I asked Rachel via Facebook what her views were of the blockades in Victoria over the past 10 days were her response to me was as follows:

"It’s tough to discover how the systems around us were designed to support some and disenfranchise others. Most of us here today are not directly responsible for the trauma that indigenous people are still suffering from. Our current governmental and institutional systems are flawed, so as we are all working to change and improve them there will be tension. We are all feeling it. However, we will get nowhere if we label one another. That will only dehumanize our friends and neighbours and create villains of one another. We need to engage in open dialogue if we want to move forward."

#623 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, she won't be getting my vote.

• rjag, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#624 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:31 PM

I asked Rachel via Facebook what her views were of the blockades in Victoria over the past 10 days were her response to me was as follows:

"It’s tough to discover how the systems around us were designed to support some and disenfranchise others. Most of us here today are not directly responsible for the trauma that indigenous people are still suffering from. Our current governmental and institutional systems are flawed, so as we are all working to change and improve them there will be tension. We are all feeling it. However, we will get nowhere if we label one another. That will only dehumanize our friends and neighbours and create villains of one another. We need to engage in open dialogue if we want to move forward."

What the hell does any of that have to do with a natural gas pipeline?

• Midnightly and Awaiting Juno like this

#625 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, she won't be getting my vote.

Vote splitting plant? Like Goeghan last time?

I know I’m out there but as they say....once bitten...

At the very least she appears as if she would turn to the SJW side on a dime once rest of the crew opened her eyes. I read some comments she made about VicPD and got that sense immediately.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 18 February 2020 - 06:05 PM.

• Nparker, Midnightly and Awaiting Juno like this

#626 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,987 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM

And now the most liked post in all of Vibrant Victoria.

I am positive I liked your dancing bananas way more than 19 times.

Matt.

• lanforod likes this

#627 BobsUncle

BobsUncle
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

I'm really hoping for a level-headed candidate who is willing and able to exercise good governance, including staying within the mandate of city council. Also I'd like it to be a resident of Victoria. I get that there's no rule about it but I'm not interested in someone who lives in another municipality making decisions about the portion of property tax I pay in my rent. Not interested in the round-about way to justify it either. The only other thing that would tick me off more is if a councillor owned the home they lived in outside of the city they were seeking office. Not cool and not interested in discussion of why it could be.

I suspect there are voters within the city who feel that because the changes they want aren't being fulfilled by provincial and federal government (ex. stop landlords from raising rents, stop all natural resource development, etc) they're appealing to another level of government. People who want to make these things happen are attempting to, by taking over a municipal government. Understandable, that's what people do. Any group, doesn't make them bad people for wanting to make their way happen. There's a higher standard for governance for provincial and federal government which is why we're seeing this breakdown at the city government level.

But in the process what I believe we've seen is a municipal government step over their boundaries, or attempt to. Getting into areas that are provincial or federal in nature, or else trampling on property rights (remember council talking about "streamlining) consultations on including secondary suites in private homes as designated rental properties in perpetuity?) Also sending letters of support and requests for compensation on highly divisive, complicated and political topics to third parties outside the city isn't good governance. Their "Bold Action" is bad leadership and an abuse of position and privilege.

I have no disagreement with any of the warm fuzzy platforms. They're motherhood statements. I have had enough of those vocal shamers who will use silencing language to demonize those who disagree on how to implement and interpret those values. For some caring for the environment is the old reduce-reuse-recycle and bike to work. To others, it's shut down the country's supply chain (rail).

All I want for Christmas is someone who's willing to follow proper governance for a municipality. It would help provide some diversity on council that would help it run better.

• Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and Teardrop like this

#628 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:23 AM

All I want for Christmas is someone who's willing to follow proper governance for a municipality

Let's hope we get this by April as waiting until December is far too long.  ;)

Edited by Nparker, 19 February 2020 - 11:38 AM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#629 BobsUncle

BobsUncle
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

Let's hope get this by April as waiting until December is far too long.  ;)

I'm talking Christmas 2018.

#630 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

I'm talking Christmas 2018.

Then your wish didn't come true.  :(

#631 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:18 AM

Signs are starting to go up. Saw one for the TV candidate and one for Jeremy Caradonna this morning.

#632 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

Does anyone know if there is a rule prohibiting those seeking a TV nomination from running in the by-election, or at least agreeing not to (not that they could be physically prohibited, of course)?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#633 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

Quite a few Jeremy Caradonna signs have gone up in Fairfield today...
  • Sparky likes this

#634 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

^Who's he?

Has he been mentioned in this thread before?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#635 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:46 PM

Quite a few Jeremy Caradonna signs have gone up in Fairfield today...

Who's he?...

He's another UVic academic. I think CoV council has already met its quota in that regard

• A Girl is No one likes this

#636 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:06 AM

spotted some signs on cook street in north park today also for Jeremy Caradonna, i don't think i've heard of him before today...

#637 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

He's another UVic academic. I think CoV council has already met its quota in that regard

Same old same old. That's a nope from me.

• Nparker likes this

#638 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

Stephen Andrew has formally announced his candidacy in the upcoming by-election - spread the news far and wide!  Let's bring rational back to the City of Victoria council table.  https://www.stephenandrew.ca/

• Nparker, rjag, kjf and 6 others like this

#639 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

......and we’re off...

#640 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

Please remember everyone that we expect civil and respectful posts on this thread as we enter the campaign phase of this by-election.

It’s ok to disagree, just do it gracefully.
  • Stephen Andrew and Awaiting Juno like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users