Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#641 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:22 PM

Please remember everyone that we expect civil and respectful posts on this thread as we enter the campaign phase of this by-election....

So no "hogwash" and/or "fake news".

• mbjj likes this

#642 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:14 AM

The prospect of Andrew running in the by-election has certainly been well received on the Facebook page.

SA should be cautious - the smear campaign will begin. I remember when the organizers of TV (and some of their sheep)were going after Hammond on social media. Most of it was BS. Some people that worked on Lisa’s campaign were doing the same (luckily I took pictures.) spreading all kinds of ridiculous rumours thinking no one knew who they were. Thankfully, I did. It was pretty disgusting. They know he has a good chance at winning. I just hope people get out and vote - ignoring whatever nonsense they spew whilst claiming to run a “clean” campaign
  • A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#643 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

SA should be cautious - the smear campaign will begin. I remember when the organizers of TV (and some of their sheep)were going after Hammond on social media. Most of it was BS. Some people that worked on Lisa’s campaign were doing the same (luckily I took pictures.) spreading all kinds of ridiculous rumours thinking no one knew who they were. Thankfully, I did. It was pretty disgusting. They know he has a good chance at winning. I just hope people get out and vote - ignoring whatever nonsense they spew whilst claiming to run a “clean” campaign

Everyone who is in favour of Stephen owes it to him to help prevent that kind of thing from happening and to call it out when they see it.  Personal attacks should not be tolerated - if they say "he hates homeless" point out, he's been homeless twice.  He doesn't just want to talk platitudes about helping them, he wants to see people move from dysfunction and unsustainable lives into lives that work.  He truly cares about this city, and lives here.  

Further - he's been civically engaged for decades, so has a deep understanding of the issues and a commitment to keeping "on track" with the issues that are within the mandate of a municipality.

• Nparker, rjag, Hotel Mike and 3 others like this

#644 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

[quote name="Belleprincess" post="527922" timestamp="1582362896"]

SA should be cautious - the smear campaign will begin. I remember when the organizers of TV (and some of their sheep)were going after Hammond on social media. Most of it was BS. Some people that worked on Lisa’s campaign were doing the same (luckily I took pictures.) spreading all kinds of ridiculous rumours thinking no one knew who they were. Thankfully, I did. It was pretty disgusting. They know he has a good chance at winning. I just hope people get out and vote - ignoring whatever nonsense they spew whilst claiming to run a “clean” campaign[

If, and I mean “if” this starts, please do let me know.

The “Our Place Community” presented me with a beautiful First Nations carving as an appreciation for my work as a journalist on the homelessness issue. It hangs in my office here at the house and is treasured. That they took the time to do that still touches my heart.

Also the BC Public Health Association presented me with an “Award of Merit” for my work in this field. Again, I was stunned.

For anyone to say I “hate the homeless” is pure propaganda. Also I will answer ANY questions on this issue at any time. I have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of or run from from any statement i made on this file.

Thank you
  • Mike K., lanforod, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#645 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

Another thought on this...

Someone recently criticized, well reinterpreted, a statement about people in vans on Dallas Road to mean I’m against homeless.

To be clear, I believe Dallas Road is not an appropriate location. We need to set up an appropriate location with services - such as waste treatment and showers etc. - and ensure it is safe and appropriate.

I do not support the idea that anyone can set up temporary housing in a location of their choice and the rest of our community has to accept their wishes. This is not “anti-homeless”, it is a statement that signifies we must be respectful of all citizens no matter their circumstances.

Talk with “Awaiting Juno, she articulated this issue perfectly by saying there is an attitude “it’s acceptable to live outside”. I took the meaning to be the many in our community that advocate believe it is a solution. It isn’t. It forgoes respect, dignity, safety and ignores the health risks the homeless face.

We need better solutions. We need effectively staffed supported housing.
  • Nparker, LJ, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#646 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

We will happily have a lawn sign for you, Stephen.

• Stephen Andrew and Awaiting Juno like this

#647 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:54 AM

Personally, I hate "homelessness", but I think the results of the current approach to solving this problem speak for themselves. We need to do things differently to truly help those who are unable to help themselves. The housing first - and very little else - is a failed policy. See 844 Johnson Street for proof.

Stephen, until you said you were running, I wasn't even going to bother to vote, but your candidacy has given me new hope.

• rjag, Stephen Andrew, pennymurphy2000 and 4 others like this

#648 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:56 AM

Personally, I hate "homelessness", but I think the results of the current approach to solving this problem speak for themselves. We need to do things differently to truly help those who are unable to help themselves. The housing first - and very little else - is a failed policy. See 844 Johnson Street for proof.

Stephen, until you said you were running, I wasn't even going to bother to vote, but your candidacy has given me new hope.

Wow. Thank you. That says a lot.
  • Nparker likes this

#649 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

We will happily have a lawn sign for you, Stephen.

Please email info@stephenandrew.ca

When they arrive the team will drop it off. Thank you
  • Nparker, mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

#650 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

I urge people to sign up for one of Stephen's lawn signs. No online or print ad has the influence of a sign on a homeowner's lawn. It's the absolute least you can do. If you are unable, please consider a donation to cover the cost. They are not cheap. 

I'm sure the other candidates are nice people but only Stephen Andrew brings the all the things other candidates lack--experience, compassion, measurable achievements and sharp critical thinking skills.

• Nparker, rjag, Hotel Mike and 4 others like this

#651 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

As a condo owner I can't make use of a lawn sign, but I can certainly place Stephen's signs in my street facing windows.

#652 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:37 PM

I would also encourage people to use their social media presence (twitter, facebook, etc.) to get the word out about the byelection and why they're supporting Stephen, virtual lawn signs also matter.

• Nparker likes this

#653 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

Does Stephen have an official online campaign presence yet for the by-election?

#654 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:45 PM

https://www.stephenandrew.ca/

• Nparker likes this

#655 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Sparky. This wasn't coming up in my initial Google search.

Edited by Nparker, 22 February 2020 - 07:48 PM.

#656 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

That's why they pay me the big dough. :)

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#657 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

Hi everyone.

Since the city cut back on information to voters, I hope in a very non partisan manner - whoever you vote for - you can help spread voting information.

I’ve had some calls about voting by mail. Here’s a link I’m going to ask you share with your networks.

Thank you

S

https://www.victoria...loting 2020.pdf
  • A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#658 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

...I’ve had some calls about voting by mail. Here’s a link I’m going to ask you share with your networks....

Done.  :thumbsup:

• rmpeers likes this

#659 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

Aside from Young and occasionally others, do you think other potentially moderate/reasonable councillors just go along to get along, knowing they don't have the voting power to push back against the faux-progressive agenda of Helps/Isitt/TV?

I feel like standing up to them more might somehow make a difference, but maybe they have been muscled into submission by those who hold the balance of power on the UVSS, uh, I mean, city council.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#660 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:20 PM

Aside from Young and occasionally others, do you think other potentially moderate/reasonable councillors just go along to get along, knowing they don't have the voting power to push back against the faux-progressive agenda of Helps/Isitt/TV?

I feel like standing up to them more might somehow make a difference, but maybe they have been muscled into submission by those who hold the balance of power on the UVSS, uh, I mean, city council.

I find it interesting how Lisa helps has changed this term. I wonder what that’s all about. Any ideas?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users