Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#661 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:37 AM

I find it interesting how Lisa helps has changed this term. I wonder what that’s all about. Any ideas?

Just a guess but I am thinking that hiring Carole James' daughter and issuing press releases every couple of weeks lauding the efforts of the NDP points to a determination to secure a Provincial seat. If that is the case then building one's social capital, blaming others for missteps, and avoiding direct ties to anything that doesn't appease the NDP base would be in order. 

• rjag likes this

#662 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:24 AM

Just a guess but I am thinking that hiring Carole James' daughter and issuing press releases every couple of weeks lauding the efforts of the NDP points to a determination to secure a Provincial seat...

Despite the near political nepotism, I am not entirely certain Ms Helps currently holds much favour with the provincial NDP power brokers. Also, unless Carole James chooses not to run again in the next election, what riding would be a safe win for Her Worseship?

• mbjj likes this

#663 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:28 AM

Despite the near political nepotism, I am not entirely certain Ms Helps currently holds much favour with the provincial NDP power brokers. Also, unless Carole James chooses not to run again in the next election, what riding would be a safe win for Her Worseship?

Depending on who you talk to, "insiders" claim everything from a run for higher office to a UN or NGO gig to hanging around for another 4 years! About the only thing I haven't heard is a return to the micro-lending business!

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#664 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

Depending on who you talk to, "insiders" claim everything from a run for higher office to a UN or NGO gig to hanging around for another 4 years! About the only thing I haven't heard is a return to the micro-lending business!

That's because being in business is actually hard, and you're livelihood depends on the results you're able to achieve.  If your business model doesn't work - that's it,it's game over.  If you're an employee of an NGO or otherwise salaried, it really doesn't matter (until the organization you work for goes nipples North).  

• Mike K., rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#665 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

Perhaps the mayor is sensing that the by-election might shift the composition of those on council and is not wanting to burn bridges.  I don't think it's going to be a coronation for the TV candidate.

#666 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

The micro-lending business was, at best, a PR exercise.  It's not important how I know this, but that business is a classic strategic failure, taught in 1st year business.  They wanted to be both a charity and a business... so they are neither and the results are so bad they're not even worth publishing, anywhere.  

They have no cash.  The premise was that lots of people will give them money for a 2% return and if the loan fails, that's ok too.  So all the risk is in the hands of the lender but the compensation for this risk is the equivalent of a savings account.  The poor woman who was stuck running it has heard the same thing over and over and over... "if you're a charity give me a receipt; if you are a business, pay me a reasonable return for taking this risk."

Any business/economics student would have been capable of explaining this within a few months of first year.  Unfortunately, for so many people, the world is divided into "us" and "them" - I'm going to go out on a limb and assume M Helps sees business and economics students as "them."  So... nothing useful from that group. 

Aside from the intellectual laziness and immaturity of generalizations (example: us vs them), I'm still gob-smacked at the number of (supposedly) educated, otherwise adult people who rely on them... god help us.  Social media is a great tool for bringing us all together.... hahahaha.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#667 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

First elections signs I have seen are from Jeremy Caradonna

Election Sign.jpg

#668 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:53 PM

Yup, me too, on boulevards in Vic West. I haven’t see any others yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#669 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:06 PM

A fairly heavy coverage on boulevards, it is good to be the first mover in this by-election for any unknown candidate, which they all are except for Stephen Andrew.   

#670 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Caradonna will tap into the TV voter pool.
  • Nparker and Belleprincess like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#671 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

Caradonna will tap into the TV voter pool.

More than Rachel Montgomery?

Caradonna's election signs didn't last long outside Alix Gooldin Hall. 

#672 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

Based on some of his signatures, Caradonna is taping into the environmental movement, the professional end of it

I notice the candidate Peter Forbes has been a building contractor for about 25 years.   

#673 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

Some interesting reporting from the Capital about the last election.

https://www.capnews....gether-victoria

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#674 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:40 AM

Stephen is currently in the process of fleshing out his platform and has issued a number of position statements on issues including property taxes, amalgamation, parking and arts.  I'm sure further position statements will be forthcoming in the days ahead. https://www.stephenandrew.ca/platform

• Nparker likes this

#675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:16 AM

Let's get those signs rollin'!

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

#676 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

Any media coverage yet for Stephen?

#677 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

Not yet, the media is likely waiting a couple of days until the deadline and then they'll do an overview of all candidates.

• rmpeers likes this

#678 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

Stephen Andrew is now officially the fourth candidate in the race

• Nparker, Stephen Andrew, Awaiting Juno and 5 others like this

#679 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:30 PM

VIDEO: Why I am running in his Byelection and Do I support raising council salaries - now posted at www.StephenAndrew.ca/media

Thank you
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#680 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

VIDEO: Why I am running in his Byelection and Do I support raising council salaries - now posted at www.StephenAndrew.ca/media...

Shared to my Facebook page.  :)

• Stephen Andrew likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users