City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#681 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

Stephanie Hardman is now officially in the race.  Here is her nomination document

#682 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

Riga Godron and Rachael Montgomery have also filed their nomination papers: https://www.victoria...byelection.html

NB Godron ran for mayor in 2014 and council in 2018. Montgomery's nominators include Gerald Hartwig ... and Riga Godron: https://www.victoria... Disclosure.pdf

#683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

Riga Godron and Rachael Montgomery have also filed their nomination papers...Godron ran for mayor in 2014 and council in 2018. Montgomery's nominators include Gerald Hartwig ...and Riga Godron

Only in Victoria would your competition also be your nominator.  :blink:

#684 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

Yup, me too, on boulevards in Vic West. I haven’t see any others yet.

Plenty of them in James Bay. I can tell just from the houses they're in front of that he won't be getting my vote.

#685 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:39 PM

Mr. Andrew: any thoughts on the current practice of Victoria's single family land reserve and the focusing of density to anywhere but south of Fort Street?

#686 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:39 PM

As of 4 p.m. on Feb. 28, nominees for the byelection are:

Stephen Andrew

Jeremy Caradonna

Peter Forbes

Riga Godron

Stefanie Hardman

Rachael Montgomery

Alexander Schmid

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2020 - 04:41 PM.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:44 PM

Is Peter Forbes affiliated with Forbes Pharmacy?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#688 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

michael is the main forbes guy.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#689 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

And Peter is the less main Forbes guy? Or are we talking two unrelated families here?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#690 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

forbes is a bit of a common name.  no?

he could be the assistant warden at william head.

https://www.timescol...ence-1.23120918

or a contractor:

https://ca.linkedin....forbes-827a8580

#691 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:09 PM

unrelated but peter fonda was cool in his day.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2020 - 05:12 PM.

#692 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:43 PM

Who is Alexander Schmid?

#693 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

Mr. Andrew: any thoughts on the current practice of Victoria's single family land reserve and the focusing of density to anywhere but south of Fort Street?

Fairfield is already the densest neighbourhood in Victoria. While proposals for developments have been fewer than downtown there’s the Oliphant building, the Belmont, 986 Heywood, several heritage conversions and future development proposed for rockland and cook st village.

While maintaining a neighbourhoods character is important looking at further gentle densification with duplex through fourplex options in current single family zones would go a long way to adding much needed housing stock while maintaining the unique identity of our neighbourhoods.

Vancouver doubled its ground oriented land base by allowing any single family zoned property to be duplexed. That is definitely good policy considering the available land in Victoria.

And that’s with lots are significantly smaller than ours. In the 2500-3000 sq ft range versus a typical Victoria city lot of 6000 sq ft.

Thanks for the question
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one and Kungsberg like this

#694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:11 PM

this thread has 30,769 views and 693 comments.

is stephen andrew the only one that will come here and post?

Stephen Andrew

Jeremy Caradonna

Peter Forbes

Riga Godron

Stefanie Hardman

Rachael Montgomery

Alexander Schmid

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2020 - 06:15 PM.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#695 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:36 PM

Fairfield is already the densest neighbourhood in Victoria. While proposals for developments have been fewer than downtown there’s the Oliphant building, the Belmont, 986 Heywood, several heritage conversions and future development proposed for rockland and cook st village.

While maintaining a neighbourhoods character is important looking at further gentle densification with duplex through fourplex options in current single family zones would go a long way to adding much needed housing stock while maintaining the unique identity of our neighbourhoods.

Vancouver doubled its ground oriented land base by allowing any single family zoned property to be duplexed. That is definitely good policy considering the available land in Victoria.

And that’s with lots are significantly smaller than ours. In the 2500-3000 sq ft range versus a typical Victoria city lot of 6000 sq ft.

Thanks for the question

Fairfield is not the densest neighbourhood in Victoria on any measure of 'density.'

Population density: Fairfield places 5th

Multifamily density: Fairfield places 6th

Lowest SF Zoning: Fairfield places 8th

I'm not trying to catch you or call you out but rather encourage policies based on evidence rather then assumptions or neighbourhood sentiment.

Across Victoria as a whole, almost 70% of the city is restricted to single-family dwellings but only accommodates 24% of households. In a city where 60% of households are renters, 86% live in multi-family housing. We are essentially saying that the vast majority of the city is off limits to 23,900 renter households or people who can’t afford the average home price of $1,100,000. That sounds pretty exclusionary and not good policy.

#696 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

To be fair I follow this board and have done so for a while.

Anyone who has run knows it gets hectic answering questions during a campaign - you have to sneak time away from family and friends to get back to everyone. Don’t be too harsh on those who do not comment.

I don’t always have the answer, but I do know how to get them - and sometimes that means being a quick study or seeking help on specific issues. I appreciate your input and critique - it helps to formulate a clear response.

Also - I see the benefit of this kind of forum. All too often “All Candidates” Meetings become an exercise of getting the highest number of supporters to the meeting toll clap and cheer for the benefit of maybe l, and I mean this , maybe 2- 5 minutes of speaking time.

Here we can provide thought out responses without showmanship.

S.
  • Daveyboy, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#697 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:45 PM

Fairfield is not the densest neighbourhood in Victoria on any measure of 'density.'

Population density: Fairfield places 5th
Multifamily density: Fairfield places 6th
Lowest SF Zoning: Fairfield places 8th

I'm not trying to catch you or call you out but rather encourage policies based on evidence rather then assumptions or neighbourhood sentiment.

Across Victoria as a whole, almost 70% of the city is restricted to single-family dwellings but only accommodates 24% of households. In a city where 60% of households are renters, 86% live in multi-family housing. We are essentially saying that the vast majority of the city is off limits to 23,900 renter households or people who can’t afford the average home price of $1,100,000. That sounds pretty exclusionary and not good policy.

I should have said it’s one of the densest neighbourhoods and really Fairfield is a story of two different areas, the west side which is very dense and the east side which, you are correct, is mostly single family homes. But more to the point is that I don’t disagree with you about anything here. We need more housing stock and we need it throughout the city. We can go taller and bigger in some areas and lower and denser in others. Small plexes would work great in lots of neighbourhoods and are real multi family housing. So if the question is whether to support a single family zone preserve that is immune from population pressures, then no, I don’t support that. We need a real planning process that allows for blanket zoning that makes sense for our neighbourhoods to provide some certainty about where and what can be done to accommodate our future growth and get away from going through an entire rezonjng process each time a proposal comes forward.
  • Mike K., Nparker, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#698 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

Great, thoughtful answer thank you!

I didn’t mean to come across as a “gotcha” moment. I really appreciate the feedback from you.

Best of luck!
  • Stephen Andrew and DavidL like this

#699 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:01 PM

No worries. Truly Thank you for challenging. We need all voices on this. Yes, as a councillor you can provide leadership, but one should never pretend they have all the answers.

S
  • Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#700 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

Who is Alexander Schmid?

He ran for mayor last time, and maybe councillor too. There were a couple of signs on Dallas Road. He's a physics instructor at UVIC. Might be one of those perennial candidates.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users