City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,021 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 12:48 PM

at $27k you can only do so much i guess.

how much does a robo-call cost?

but yes with digital ads and a smart digital ad manager you can keep tracking and improving them for best efficiency.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 March 2020 - 12:49 PM.

#742 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 March 2020 - 12:58 PM

at $27k you can only do so much i guess.

how much does a robo-call cost?

but yes with digital ads and a smart digital ad manager you can keep tracking and improving them for best efficiency.

Robocalls run about $0.07 to $0.10 per number

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#743 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

Is a FOCUS magazine coming out before election day? That's a crucial ad buy but now that it's only every two months it might be too late.

The March/April edition should be on the newsstands any day now.
  • Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

#744 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

I actually don't think this election is going to have anything to do with personalities or campaigning, or anything else that might typically be related to any given political campaign.

I think this is solely about two things, both questions aimed directly at the voter;

1) Do you really want almost your entire City Council made up of Together Victoria types who have literally explained in advance (and in great detail) how they're planning on destroying your city, and;

2) Are you planning to physically get out and support your candidate, the one who represents your values, and if not - what's it going to take to get the candidate you'd vote for (if you got up out of your easy chair) to convince you to indeed physically get out there and give them your vote?

Remember, you're determining the direction your City of Victoria is going to take for possibly a decade to come.

#745 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

Remember, you're determining the direction your City of Victoria is going to take for possibly a decade to come.

...but you're not really...are you?...

...will it really matter if geoff young is outvoted 7-2 rather than 8-1...

...at best you might be setting up an opportunity for a few other normal folks to run in the next REAL election...

#746 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

...will it really matter if geoff young is outvoted 7-2 rather than 8-1...

...at best you might be setting up an opportunity for a few other normal folks to run in the next REAL election...

That's an interesting strategy.  Let TV dictate the agenda until the next election, in hopes we will have even more drama with the purpose of generating a backlash.

Then again, it might be worth while having someone in there to point out the ridiculousness of it all.

It'll be entertaining either way.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#747 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:32 PM

Robocalls run about $0.07 to $0.10 per number

I wonder how effective they are these days, given cell phones and Caller ID. We still have a landline but never, ever answer the phone unless we recognize the caller or number. And any number that calls repeatedly without leaving a message goes on the "don't accept calls from this number" list.

#748 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:09 AM

...who have literally explained in advance (and in great detail) how they're planning on destroying your city...

I think we need to reexamine our definition of "literally"

• Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

#749 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:41 AM

That's an interesting strategy.  Let TV dictate the agenda until the next election, in hopes we will have even more drama with the purpose of generating a backlash.

Then again, it might be worth while having someone in there to point out the ridiculousness of it all.

It'll be entertaining either way.

it might be a good idea if it wasn't for a victoria voter.. gotta remember that Helps got re-elected after the whole "he's the best thing to happen to our city" Eisner scandal

#750 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:19 AM

There are moderate views on Council currently, Alto, Thornton-Joe, Young, add Andrew to the mix and you've got 4 to 4 (remembering the Mayor doesn't vote except to break ties).

It's not perfect, but it's a far better chance for change than what we have currently.

As well, even with an entirely new Council (which obviously isn't going to happen any time soon), it's going to take at least a decade to undo what this current bunch have done, so I'll stick with the concept that this particular by-election may indeed influence Victoria for at least the next decade.

Edited by Spy Black, 03 March 2020 - 07:34 AM.

• Nparker, rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#751 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:23 AM

Andrew will make it an even split, for sure. Helps has been relatively moderate in this term.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#752 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:31 AM

I think we need to reexamine our definition of "literally"

Oh I don't know, I think the current Council has made it pretty clear in writing (see recent agenda and minutes) exactly what they intend to do in the coming months/years. If this isn't the definition of "literally", it certainly gets pretty close!

Let's offer up some examples:

1) Bike thieves won't be pursued or arrested because they're down and out and need the money.

2) Property crimes won't be investigated or prosecuted because the folks that commit such crimes are either mentally ill, drug addicted, or (once again) need the money.

3) Camping, urinating, taking a dump, and other somewhat unsavoury activities will be permitted in downtown business doorways because these folks have nowhere else to go.

Shall I go on?

It seems that Council has "quite literally" explained how they're going to destroy the City of Victoria to me?

Of course much depends not on your definition of "literally", but rather on your definition of "destroy". It seems there are a small group of voters in Fairfield/Fernwood who aren't the least bit worried about (for example) my three points above, who keep re-electing TV types, and what I consider to be "destruction", they consider to be "progress".

Edited by Spy Black, 03 March 2020 - 07:35 AM.

• LJ and Awaiting Juno like this

#753 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:04 AM

There are moderate views on Council currently, Alto, Thornton-Joe, Young, add Andrew to the mix and you've got 4 to 4 (remembering the Mayor doesn't vote except to break ties).

It's not perfect, but it's a far better chance for change than what we have currently.

As well, even with an entirely new Council (which obviously isn't going to happen any time soon), it's going to take at least a decade to undo what this current bunch have done, so I'll stick with the concept that this particular by-election may indeed influence Victoria for at least the next decade.

Mayor always votes in BC local government

#754 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:07 AM

I wonder how effective they are these days, given cell phones and Caller ID. We still have a landline but never, ever answer the phone unless we recognize the caller or number. And any number that calls repeatedly without leaving a message goes on the "don't accept calls from this number" list.

I do not think they are very useful at all and would not use them.    Calls done for federal or provincial political campaigns are exempt from any restrictions, I do not know if municipal campaigns are as well

#755 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:44 AM

Mayor always votes in BC local government

Ahh, good point.

But it doesn't change my observation one bit if you think about it.

#756 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:51 AM

Mayors can abstain unless there is a tie, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#757 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:01 AM

In BC all members of a local council are required to vote, there is no option for abstaining.  The only reason someone does not vote is if there is a conflict of interest.  This is in keeping with the Provincial and Federal parliaments where you can only vote yes or no and there is no abstain (other than leaving the room)

Edited by Bernard, 03 March 2020 - 09:03 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#758 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:04 AM

Don't disparage all of Fairfield, lol. We have three votes in our family, none went to any of current council except Young. Our friends up the street feel the same way.

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#759 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:13 AM

Don't disparage all of Fairfield, lol. We have three votes in our family, none went to any of current council except Young. Our friends up the street feel the same way.

The odds are very low that any more than one in five people on your street will vote in the by-election.

#760 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:29 AM

Perhaps, not so much because they're Mayor, but because they're the Chair.

How municipal bodies vote is mandated by the Province, but how a Chair votes is more typically suggested by Roberts Rules of Order.

Roberts generally suggests that the Chair not vote unless required to in order to break a tie.

The Provincial information suggests that a Mayor does vote, but not that they must vote - although there is likely much more documentation in existence than what's available to read online that might indicate otherwise.

It's a bit gray, but the Province mandates that the Mayor is a Councillor , just one with additional duties, one of those additional duties being to act as the Chair.

The Province makes no note of any unusual or additional rules for the Chair, and Helps quite obviously uses Roberts Rules of Order for most of her Chair duties (motions, splitting motions, speaking order, etc).

I suppose Helps could effectively "break ties" by voting last (or "late")?

But as noted above, I would posit that any individual vote on Council could effectively considered to be a tie-breaker in any given situation where it would be 4/4 otherwise - and Helps has, of late, been voting as more of a moderate than as a hard-core TV sycophant.

Edited by Spy Black, 03 March 2020 - 09:42 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users