City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#901 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:24 AM

what?  getting closer to people might land you in hospital?   maybe a few sports.  i assume most couples are still sleeping in the same bed.  that's tens of millions of canadians getting close every night.  and day sometimes even.  :rtfm:

Just one simple example: staying home reduces car accidents.

Why do I feel like you're playing devil's advocate with everyone here on every little thing. Start taking this seriously. man.

Edited by lanforod, 16 March 2020 - 07:24 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#902 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

Just one simple example: staying home reduces car accidents.

great.  then why not reduce car usage all the time?  less people in hospital is always good.

#903 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:27 AM

Why do I feel like you're playing devil's advocate with everyone here on every little thing. Start taking this seriously. man.

i am taking it seriously.

but i reserve the right to question every bit of this situation especially "official" responses.  and yes a lot of what i do is "devils advocate" stuff but that's also known sometimes as "looking at the other side nobody is willing or able to".  i contradict myself often.  i'm often tired of people that only take one point of view and not thinking of the bigger picture and unintended consequences.  people that say things like "if we save just one life then (inserts billions of dollars for a solution) is worth it".  it's not.  

right now too many people are just listening to health professionals.  and politicians.  those two often have no economics experience and none are in the private sector - where most of us live.  and almost everything that people care about - rightly or wrongly - is about the economy.  how much money they have in their pocket.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 March 2020 - 07:38 AM.

• Bernard likes this

#904 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:35 AM

Another aspect to the social distancing is to reduce accidents/hospital visits to ensure capacity is available should this thing go nuts.

It’s not just about keeping people away from the virus.

Yes.  Any decision that can lower the demand is a good one.  Any decision that can slow the spread is essential right now.

We need to act urgently and decisively but there isn't any reason to panic or be scared.  If leaders communicate a lot (it always takes about 5-10 x as much as you think) about how important this is we can have a huge impact.

The difference we can make is this:  250,000 people needing a ventilator today, vs 250,000 people needing a ventilator over the next many months, by way of illustration.  

#905 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:37 AM

Oh great, another hi-jacked thread.  :whyme:

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#906 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:40 AM

250,000 people needing a ventilator today, vs 250,000 people needing a ventilator over the next many months, by way of illustration.  

if we shut down for 6 months 250,000 will need a home.  that's how many will have nothing left for rent in just 2 or 3 months.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 March 2020 - 07:40 AM.

#907 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:58 AM

In 1918 the CIty shut down completely for 33 days and that had a marked impact on the death rate in Victoria.  Vancouver, which did not shut down completely, had a death rate three times as high per capita

• Stephen James likes this

#908 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

Oh great, another hi-jacked thread.  :whyme:

Hey, if you're complaining because the topic has changed from an election to covid-19... ok.  Bye.  

I dont think the election is relevant any more and bet that will be final today.

Maybe we need a pandemic thread then?  (It is a pandemic, btw.)

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#909 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:34 AM

Hey, if you're complaining because the topic has changed from an election to covid-19... ok.  Bye.  

I dont think the election is relevant any more and bet that will be final today.

Maybe we need a pandemic thread then?  (It is a pandemic, btw.)

You mean like this one?  :)

https://vibrantvicto...-83#entry531649

#910 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:27 AM

You mean like this one?  :)

https://vibrantvicto...-83#entry531649

yes thank you!  c'ya when we try this again

• Greg and Victoria Watcher like this

#911 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:00 PM

Chief Electoral Officer Chris Coates says, “The Chief Medical Health Officer for Island Health has made the following recommendation: “That the April 4th by-election be postponed until the pandemic is declared over”.

#912 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

That could be months till the pandemic is done

#913 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:17 PM

That could be months till the pandemic is done

If we get our collective $%#t together, it could be 8-12 weeks.

#914 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:22 PM

Chief Electoral Officer Chris Coates says, “The Chief Medical Health Officer for Island Health has made the following recommendation: “That the April 4th by-election be postponed until the pandemic is declared over”.

I can't find this quote but I need it for something...

#915 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:52 PM

https://www.cheknews...lection-655348/

Here’s the article

#916 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:08 PM

Word just in that the Ohio primary has been postponed. A judge had ruled it could go ahead but the local health official overruled it.

Interesting that a health official has that power and maybe our local electoral officials decided to advise that our election be cancelled rather than having health officials tell them so.

#917 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:02 AM

The powers of the BC Chief Medical Officer are quite draconian - though the government has to declare a state of emergency for the powers kick in

#918 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

The powers of the BC Chief Medical Officer are quite draconian - though the government has to declare a state of emergency for the powers kick in

Draconian is an adjective meaning great severity, that derives from Draco, an Athenian law scribe under whom small offenses had heavy punishments (Draconian laws).

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Draconian

for those keeping score.  use every lock-down as a learning opportunity.

also:

Victoria, BC was known to have been the centre of at least two duels near the time of the gold rush. One involved a British arrival by the name of George Sloane, and an American, John Liverpool, both arriving via San Francisco in 1858. Duel by pistols, Sloane was fatally injured and Liverpool shortly returned to the US. The fight originally started on board the ship over a young woman, Miss Bradford, and then carried on later in Victoria's tent city.[34] Another duel, involving a Mr. Muir, took place around 1861, but was moved to a US island near Victoria.

https://en.wikipedia..._20th_centuries

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 March 2020 - 08:18 AM.

#919 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:06 PM

Obviously, they need to postpone, but I wonder how much extra this will all cost CoV taxpayers. I dread to think how much we've all chipped in to advance Laurel Collins' career.

Also, with Carole James not running next year, I assume one of our beloved local leaders will be eyeing that seat up, which presumably might drag us and our wallets through the whole process again.
  • NotHudsonMack and Love the rock like this

#920 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:01 PM

I dread to think how much we've all chipped in to advance Laurel Collins' career.

She should be made to foot the costs personally.

• mbjj likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users