City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#941 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:59 PM

I think she sent a strong message that we should take this seriously.  Meanwhile I know of at least three candidates that still have their signs up......   People are going to notice that and think badly of the candidates.

#942 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:24 PM

Meanwhile I know of at least three candidates that still have their signs up......   People are going to notice that and think badly of the candidates

Or people may think these candidates are self-isolating, and/or taking care of their physical and mental well-being. Taking down election signs may simply not be a priority at this time.

• Rob Randall likes this

#943 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

I got a by-election pamphlet in the mail. I guess they've been circulating still despite the by-election cancellation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#944 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:52 AM

I do not see how still sending out something about the by-election will help any candidate.

#945 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:20 AM

if it came by mail it might have been sent into the canada post system a week ago.  and could not be stopped.

#946 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:34 AM

Yup, that’s my thinking. It was from the CoV not a candidate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#947 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:37 AM

Hi. Weighing in because I think there are a few things missing here.

1. We were instructed to take signs down in four days following the cancellation. I should point out that 4 day timeframe is in a normal situation not hampered by health restrictions and at least one of our team not feeling well . We distributed 500 signs and it took several days to complete. I know my team and I worked diligently to do this. If you see any signs we missed please email us at signs@stephenandrew.ca and we will work fo grab them.

2. As far as my campaign goes - there should be no handouts distributed. If you receive anything please let me know and I will look into it.

It is possible other campaigns are distributing material via pre-arranged contracts with Canada Post. I personally would cut them some slack. It can be a slow moving process to cancel the process.

thx

S
  • Nparker, Bernard and Awaiting Juno like this

#948 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:38 AM

Andrew, your crews should spend more time in Vic West as there are still signs out and about that I saw while driving through yesterday. Catherine Street for sure and I think a few more but unfortunately I can’t give you better coordinates. Bored kids are helping them disappear too, I’m sure :)
  • Stephen Andrew likes this

Know it all.

#949 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

1. We were instructed to take signs down in four days following the cancellation. I should point out that 4 day timeframe is in a normal situation not hampered by health restrictions and at least one of our team not feeling well . We distributed 500 signs and it took several days to complete. I know my team and I worked diligently to do this. If you see any signs we missed please email us at signs@stephenandrew.ca and we will work fo grab them.

and to be fair.  some that people say they are planting at X get installed at Y.  so it's hard to find all 500 perfectly.

#950 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:07 AM

Any word on when this will resume? We can't wait two years before we fill the vacancy, so how do we run a covid compliant by-election?

#951 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:15 AM

Any word on when this will resume? We can't wait two years before we fill the vacancy, so how do we run a covid compliant by-election?

I suspect Council has never been in a hurry to fill the vacancy. Taking advantage of the current crisis gives them an opportunity to forestall any possible shift in the existing power structure. I don't see a new date for the by-election any time before the fall.

• rmpeers likes this

#952 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:44 AM

the province can just amend the legislation to allow any length of wait they want.

#953 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:48 AM

To be honest folks, do you think the public really is focussed on a Byelection at present.

Obviously I care and so do supporters, but is there an appetite for local political engagement outside our bubble?

Curious what you think.
  • NotHudsonMack likes this

#954 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:52 AM

the province can just amend the legislation to allow any length of wait they want.

i suggested earlier that councils of 9 should be allowed to run with 8 until next election just in general.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 May 2020 - 08:52 AM.

#955 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:00 AM

Not particularly, no. The balance of power won’t change here regardless. Jobs are more top of mind now.

Know it all.

#956 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

i suggested earlier that councils of 9 should be allowed to run with 8 until next election just in general.

Perhaps if those who leave their position for another elected office without serving their full term were responsible for the costs of the by-election we wouldn't have to worry about this situation.

Edited by Nparker, 02 May 2020 - 09:10 AM.

• Stephen Andrew and rmpeers like this

#957 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:06 AM

...is there an appetite for local political engagement outside our bubble?...

Not particularly, no...

I don't think there's ever a wrong time to be politically engaged, especially when we have local politicians using the current crisis to advance their personal agenda.

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#958 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:13 AM

Having a plan to make it happen is wise.  The current situation could well continue for upwards of 24 months.  Decisions still need to be made, and we need people at the table (even if it's a virtual table).  While a traditional election is likely not in the cards - one that relies upon the media to advance positions (rather than glad handing and door knocking) would likely be COVID compliant.  The conversation needs to continue, because, as NParker points out, the crisis is being used in ways it shouldn't.  A democracy exists, not only in times of peace and good health, but critically in times of crisis when good decisions become more important, not less.

• Nparker and LJ like this

#959 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:35 AM

Zoom town halls and debates, vote by mail and online. Do it.
  • Stephen Andrew and Awaiting Juno like this

#960 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:29 AM

Britain cancelled the 1940 election and formed a bi-partisan war cabinet. They were ten years between elections.

The recent Wisconsin election shows that even at the peak of the pandemic and with sloppy hygiene protocols, voting seemed to generate only a handful of fresh cases rather than the dangerous spike predicted by some. I think Victorians can safely go to the polls in a few months unless we begin to see signs of a second wave coming. 

It has already changed the focus for candidates. By election day we will witness the fallout of two events: the rehabilitation of the local economy and the transfer of tent city residents to area motels. These are fast-moving events and the election results might likely be different if the election were held now, six months from now or next year.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users