Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#981 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

Comparatively large amount for Together Victoria, natch. Do we know who funds them?

I saw contributions as low as five dollars. Mostly grassroots I bet. 

I am still thinking about the candidate that appears to have received thousands in contributions from her middle-school children. Would a complaint have to be filed in order to determine if these were legitimate contributions rather than a way around campaign contribution limits.

It appears all three supporters made an initial $1224.60 donation, which is the 2020 limit and a further $1200 donation as per the rules:

How much can I contribute?
For 2020, you can give a total of $1,224.60 to a local elections candidate or elector organization.

In the year of a general local election or local by-election, unendorsed candidates may contribute an additional $1,200 to their own campaign, and a group of endorsed candidates may contribute an additional $1,200 in total to the campaign of the elector organization.

https://elections.bc...n-contribution/

#982 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:25 AM

Together Victoria demonstrates the power of organized political groups to leverage bigger donations....

#983 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:28 AM

Laurel Collins, Sarah Potts and Ben Isitt are contributors to TV. Your tax dollars at work.

#984 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

...It appears all three supporters made an initial $1224.60 donation, which is the 2020 limit...

Laurel Collins cut it pretty close to the contribution limit.

Capture.PNG

#985 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

^What's the strategy there?

#986 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

Laurel Collins, Sarah Potts and Ben Isitt are contributors to TV. Your tax dollars at work.

???

As soon as the salary is paid, it's no longer "your tax dollars." Whether the money is spent on a case of beer, invested in a savings plan, or donated to a political campaign, it's a person's discretionary spending of the salary they have earned. You wouldn't say someone is using company funds to buy groceries.

• Mike K., sdwright.vic, John M. and 3 others like this

#987 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:44 AM

I am aware of that. 

#988 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:58 AM

No, I don't think there has been any indication about rescheduling any of the municipal by-elections. Remember that Victoria's was one of three cancelled by order of the Province. The order goes on to say that the by-elections will proceed after the public health officer advises that COVID-19 no longer poses a threat to public health...

via https://www.victoria...l M074-2020.pdf

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen it.

My comment would be that the order was signed on March 17th, a date at which we basically knew nothing about this pandemic, and as a result of knowing nothing, the only thing governments were legislating was based on that fear of the unknown.

Considering the very specific language in that order, and considering what we know now (that COVID-19 may indeed never "be over"), it would seem well past the date at which that order should have been updated with amended language such that the possibility of no vaccine and no anti-viral were taken seriously into account.

The "never be over" scenario is more than just a possibility, it's as much a possible road map forward as is a vaccine or an anti-viral.

It seems well past the time when the folks that administer elections in B.C. were looking at online alternatives (or limited numbers in polling stations, or ????) such that much needed municipal elections can move forward.

The document that seemingly prevents this Victoria by-election from happening is, in a nutshell, worded inappropriately five months into the pandemic, and seemingly now forgotten by the Minister responsible.

Edited by Spy Black, 08 July 2020 - 11:01 AM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#989 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:51 PM

Somebody here mentioned the idea that they were delaying in case there's a provincial election in fall and that Helps may be positioning herself to put her amazing skills to work as an MLA. Also I believe there was a suggestion that some sort of secret deal had been cut to anoint a new mayor who will presumably continue to unquestioningly do the bidding of the UVic School of Nursing etc.

I assume Ben has soiled his own name to such an extent that his mayoral ambitions are unlikely to see him anointed as the Chosen One.

Anyone have anymore info on these rumored hijinks?
  • Spy Black likes this

#990 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:20 PM

Somebody here mentioned the idea that they were delaying in case there's a provincial election in fall and that Helps may be positioning herself to put her amazing skills to work as an MLA. Also I believe there was a suggestion that some sort of secret deal had been cut to anoint a new mayor who will presumably continue to unquestioningly do the bidding of the UVic School of Nursing etc.

I assume Ben has soiled his own name to such an extent that his mayoral ambitions are unlikely to see him anointed as the Chosen One.

Anyone have anymore info on these rumored hijinks?

I can say that canvassing in March revealed that TV is avoiding using Ben's name because 1. they have no ethics, and 2. they are getting such negative reaction.  Word on the street is they have talking points to try and manage the perception of cray-cray they cant stop creating.  

The fact that the NDP is organizing and driving the campaign here, a fact only denied by the perpetrators, lol, means we have little chance of a real democratic event.  Until we can get this toxic cycle of influence (from any camp other than an individual voter), we're just going to go through the motions.  They pretend they cleaned it up by changing the contribution rules but anyone with a grade 6 understanding of civics knows this was a cynical exercise that cost them nothing.  The real influence comes from effort from unions and other institutions friendly to the party.  I vote without enthusiasm or much interest.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Spy Black like this

#991 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

^What's the strategy there?

quid pro quo

to clarify, "thanks so much for using the system and the electorate to get me to my entitled job..."

Edited by Taco, 08 July 2020 - 02:22 PM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#992 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

I vote without enthusiasm or much interest.

Alas, so do I especially after the 2018 election.  :(

#993 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

???

As soon as the salary is paid, it's no longer "your tax dollars." Whether the money is spent on a case of beer, invested in a savings plan, or donated to a political campaign, it's a person's discretionary spending of the salary they have earned. You wouldn't say someone is using company funds to buy groceries.

fair,

except Laurel Collins used us, the system, municipal money, wasting our time and, much more sinister, our engagement to engineer a job as an MLA.  She should be writing cheques to reimburse all of us and she should be ashamed.  She sure looked it when I called her on it at my front door.

• Nparker, Midnightly and Spy Black like this

#994 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

Thank you btw to the person (NParker?) who started the BHP petition and I'm very sorry it was ignored - stunning hubris but no real surprise.  

I live nearby and have many friends who do as well.  My one friend who has a condo near the park and young children - the park used to make the condo tolerable - no longer lets his kids go to the park.  I can handle myself but I had a guy threaten me as a joke, "gimme all your money," from an encampment near the Douglas St corner.  

#995 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:37 PM

But at least we know Laurel’s favourite bread is zucchini bread. How else would we have known that if she had not posted her thoughts about bread on Twitter as MP for Victoria? It would have still been a total mystery.
  • Nparker, mbjj and Spy Black like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#996 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:50 PM

But at least we know Laurel’s favourite bread is zucchini bread. How else would we have known that if she had not posted her thoughts about bread on Twitter as MP for Victoria? It would have still been a total mystery.

Yes, very attuned to community concerns! :)
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#997 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

Thank you btw to the person (NParker?) who started the BHP petition and I'm very sorry it was ignored - stunning hubris but no real surprise...

I wish I could take credit for the BHP petition, but someone with more courage and belief in our political system than I have was responsible. I'd like to say I was surprised by the CoV council ignoring the results, but sadly I was not. For the most part, council are despicable bunch for whom I have zero respect.

• mbjj, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#998 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:18 PM

I am still thinking about the candidate that appears to have received thousands in contributions from her middle-school children. Would a complaint have to be filed in order to determine if these were legitimate contributions rather than a way around campaign contribution limits.

Maxing out your own contribution, then continue to donate above the limit under your children's name seems slimy, but I guess it is politics.

Is it legal?

#999 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:48 PM

"Look mom, I know I may only be in Grade Five but I have faith in your campaign and intend to put my money where my mouth is. I've saved up my birthday money and the money I got for babysitting Caden's guinea pig so let's make this happen. I have in my hand a cashier's cheque for twelve hundred twenty four dollars and sixty cents. This is the maximum allowable contribution. I trust that this modest amount is but the spark that leads us on the path to a conclusive and consummate victory."

• Mike K., gstc84 and John M. like this

#1000 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:20 PM

How much can I contribute?
For 2020, you can give a total of $1,224.60 to a local elections candidate or elector organization.

In the year of a general local election or local by-election, unendorsed candidates may contribute an additional $1,200 to their own campaign, and a group of endorsed candidates may contribute an additional $1,200 in total to the campaign of the elector organization.

My interpretation here is that you can contribute a maximum $1,224.60. That's it. The candidate themselves can contribute and additional $1,200 to their own campaign. But nobody else can add that amount. Only the candidate can contribute $2424.60. Am I reading that correctly?

So Aidan, who is ten years old contributed $1,224.60 and an additional $1,200. Aries, who just graduated grade 9, contributed the same amount, as did Alexandra (age unknown). 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users