Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#2521 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:47 PM

CoV posted SA being sworn in and of course some jerk has to make an asinine comment

Sure shows the caliber of a person when they think this is ok. What an a$$

Looked at his twitter account. Completely on brand. Bikes? Check. Anti-cop? Check. Weird, creepy fetishistic obsession with S. Andrew? But of course. Pronouns listed in profile? Natch.
  • rjag likes this

#2522 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

That's why crazy fringe people endorse politicians, they hope to get their name in the press.

Look, $99 will get you a video greeting from Sebastian Gorka on Cameo. 200 for Sarah Palin, etc. If Isitt runs for mayor, I'd love to see one of the above endorse him in 2022.
  • lanforod, Victoria Watcher and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#2523 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 03:12 PM

Now I'm curious to know who endorsed him? I'm not really aware of any notorious white supremacy groups or leaders in Victoria

Aaron Gunn (or Dunn), not really what I would call a "white supremacist".
  • rjag and Awaiting Juno like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2524 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 December 2020 - 03:31 PM

Yup, I'm thinking he was referring to Aaron Gunn. Basically anyone to the right of Castro in these guys minds are rabid white supremacist capitalists funded by the auto and horse-drawn carriage lobby. 

• sdwright.vic and Awaiting Juno like this

#2525 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:41 PM

If Isitt runs for mayor, I'd love to see one of the above endorse him in 2022.

I'd love to see Isitt as Mayor dealing with real issues spouting his mumbo jumbo....but then I remind myself that it doesn't seem to stop Helps from doing the same.

#2526 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:20 PM

Pronouns listed in profile? Natch.

What’s wrong with listing pronouns in your Twitter bio?
  • John M. likes this

#2527 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:49 PM

hehe good one

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#2528 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:04 PM

Nothing/nada/zip

#2529 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,846 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:59 PM

he/haw can list anything he/they like but it usually indicates a certain type.
  • rjag likes this

#2530 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:54 AM

Howard Anglin: The smear campaign that took down a promising politician | National Post

What happened to Caylan Ford 20 months ago, when she was running as a candidate for the United Conservative Party in Alberta, should terrify anyone thinking of running for public office. What has happened to her since should worry the rest of us.

Now, she is finally fighting back. After her candidacy was ended by false accusations that she is racist and a “white supremacist,” she’s suing those she says defamed her, including the Alberta NDP, the CBC and the Toronto Star. Anyone concerned about the polarization of our political discourse should be rooting for her.

Its about time that people started fighting back against the cowards that use unsubstantiated smear tactics in their propaganda warfare. Lots of people such as 

Brian Burger

Councillor Andrew was endorsed by at least one known white supremacist during his election campaign. Has he ever denounced that endorsement?

should be warned that comments like this have consequences

Edited by rjag, 23 December 2020 - 08:54 AM.

• A Girl is No one and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#2531 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:10 AM

Yes those using smear tactics are in essence bullies who rely on the fact that people will either apologize (which happens often at horrible cost to the person being smeared and apologizing for something they didn’t do) or disappear.

It will only stop when we say « no » to bullies.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 23 December 2020 - 09:11 AM.

• Stephen Andrew, rmpeers, Stephen James and 1 other like this

#2532 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:38 PM

And Hardman was endorsed by someone who allegedly hacked someone with a machete and has made threats over Twitter. So what. 

CoV posted SA being sworn in and of course some jerk has to make an asinine comment 

Sure shows the caliber of a person when they think this is ok. What an a$$ 

#2533 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:04 PM

No plans for municipal investment into public parking supply as thousands of public parking stalls were replaced by rapid development.

"The cost of a parkade outside city hall in Prince George, B.C., has ballooned from an original budget of $12.6 million in 2018 to a projected $34.1 million in just over two years, shaking up the power structure between elected officials and city management in the process."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...I018VH6QE4ECywE

#2534 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:00 AM

"The cost of a parkade outside city hall in Prince George, B.C., has ballooned from an original budget of $12.6 million in 2018 to a projected $34.1 million in just over two years, shaking up the power structure between elected officials and city management in the process."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...I018VH6QE4ECywE

I dont think it was the cost of the parkade that was the issue, rather it was deception and disinformation....a subject of which Victoria Council appear to be subject matter experts

That report was delivered to council Monday night, and it contained a new revelation: city managers knew the parkade would cost more than $20 million as early as July 2018 but didn't pass that information on to elected officials. In fact, when council gave final approval to the $12.6 million budget in March 2019, senior administrators had already quietly committed to the higher price tag and, later formally approved it without council's knowledge.

'Council was intentionally deceived'

As Mike will tell you, when it involves subsurface construction the first casualty is the initial quote. Above ground buildings have a far more stable pricing structure than underground. 

Edited by rjag, 15 January 2021 - 07:01 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#2535 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:12 AM

Howard Anglin: The smear campaign that took down a promising politician | National Post

Its about time that people started fighting back against the cowards that use unsubstantiated smear tactics in their propaganda warfare. Lots of people such as 

should be warned that comments like this have consequences

Well, except the "contextualization" in the article doesn't include everything she said, and conveniently glossed over that the messages were supplied by another Conservative member. From the snitch source:

Caylan Ford, who is seeking to represent the riding of Calgary-Mountain View in the 2019 provincial election, also expressed anxiety over “the replacement of white peoples in their homelands” and suggested “Western culture” would collapse if “another race” takes over in Europe and North America.

The private Facebook Messenger messages, obtained exclusively by PressProgress, were supplied by a long-time Muslim conservative with deep ties to the party who requested anonymity citing the threat of retribution.

The authenticity of the messages was verified independently and original copies of the messages were reviewed in-person. The source also provided PressProgress with a sworn affidavit attesting Caylan Ford sent them the messages and that they “have not been altered or edited in any way.”

After PressProgress supplied her with copies of the messages, Ford did not deny authoring them but instead asked “who shared these statements with you?” Ford did not respond to subsequent e-mails asking if she intended to provide a statement or offer any additional context to her statements

We must be vigilant of smearing, as well as acknowledging that some politicians bring it onto themselves.

#2536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,457 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:33 AM

The City says 1,030 Mail-in votes were left uncounted because they arrived after Election Day: https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=64292

If we recall, there was confusion during the by-election, including no formal mail outs being sent to eligible voters. The City also decided (whether it was forced to by regulations or not I don’t know) not to make it easy for people to cast a vote on Election Day if they had already asked for a Mail-in ballot. This had not been announced or widely known by the electorate.

In short, the by-election was mismanaged and the above report acknowledges there were plenty of lessons learned.
  • Awaiting Juno, rmpeers and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2537 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:23 PM

Even at the time it was clear that the City, despite having had a long time to plan, was giving people a near-impossible window for mail-in voting. Not surprising in the least that so many votes were missed. That, plus their not mailing out info on the byelection seemed, intentionally or not, to shut out seniors in particular.
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#2538 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:31 PM

Well, it does tend to leave the impression that you’re a politically naive, gender confused, socially fragile, intellectually challenged, rabid leftist ignoramus, but other than that, nothing really.

#2539 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

Well, it does tend to leave the impression that you’re a politically naive, gender confused, socially fragile, intellectually challenged, rabid leftist ignoramus, but other than that, nothing really.

You left out " latte sipping, greasy geared, flannel wearing, bike riding, hipster dufus! "
  • Matt R. likes this

#2540 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:46 PM

Most people I know aren't too worked up one way or the other over gender pronouns. But I'm pretty sure the people who seriously get worked up over gender pronouns have some sort of repressed sexual issues. It might be buried so deep they don't realize it themselves but it's there. 

• Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users