City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1681 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:45 PM

What an idiotic slogan. Most people have homes.

yes. well over 99% of us.

#1682 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:04 PM

yes. well over 99% of us.

39% of Victorians were homeowners in 2018

2011 census data below

Attached Images

• census.JPG

#1683 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:01 AM

neither of us said "own" homes.

nothing wrong with renting.

this year's PiT count indicates that 99.6% of us have a stable home.  nearly 99.8% of females.  99.95% of children.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 November 2020 - 12:02 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1684 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:43 AM

39% of Victorians were homeowners in 2018...

neither of us said "own" homes. nothing wrong with renting..

As VW said. Since when has being a renter meant one doesn't have a home?  :confused:

Right now renting seems like a great deal. As a homeowner no one has given me a break on my mortgage, my strata fees nor my property taxes since the pandemic began.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1685 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:48 AM

Making it hard to cast a ballot

Then came the demand to upload ID. Victoria uses the B.C. voters list. The province did not require me to upload anything; why did the city? Operating a home-based business, I have copiers and scanners and other devices that enabled me to meet the demand.

I paused, and thought about my clients, the median age of which is 76 years old. Many of them have email, but how many would be able to scan and upload their driver’s licence? Not many.

As one who has worked for returning officers at more than a dozen provincial and federal electoral events, I must confess that voter suppression comes to mind when I see how this byelection is being conducted.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24242646

#1686 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:52 AM

The CoV's requirement to upload a copy of one's ID in order to receive a mail-in ballot seems absurd to me. The province made no such demand when requesting mail-in packages for the recent election.

• rmpeers likes this

#1687 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:57 AM

The CoV's requirement to upload a copy of one's ID in order to receive a mail-in ballot seems absurd to me. The province made no such demand when requesting mail-in packages for the recent election.

It will slow down older voters who are traditionally more conservative. The homeless and students will be able to vote in person and have people vouch for them.

I think that one of the things that needs to be monitored is the 1:1 vouching rule.

Edited by spanky123, 20 November 2020 - 08:00 AM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1688 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:01 AM

Making it hard to cast a ballot

Of course this is voter suppression. You think that it only happens in the US?

#1689 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:07 AM

Let’s not buy into any theory on voting. Let’s work to get the vote out and make it easier.

We need to spread the word.

We are setting up rides if needed.

We spend time helping those who need guidance on obtaining a mail-in Ballot.

Thanks.

S

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 20 November 2020 - 08:08 AM.

• mbjj, newbie_01 and JohnsonStBridge like this

#1690 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:08 AM

I gave up on trying for the mail-in ballot. Someone who worked for the city said they have a lousy security system as well, I don't trust them with my ID even if I were able to scan it. My husband is going to phone the number to see what he gets, I think I will just go for the advance polling. Certainly is not easy for some folks though. 

#1691 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:15 AM

I gave up on trying for the mail-in ballot. Someone who worked for the city said they have a lousy security system as well, I don't trust them with my ID even if I were able to scan it. My husband is going to phone the number to see what he gets, I think I will just go for the advance polling. Certainly is not easy for some folks though.

We hear this a lot.

Friends tell me it’s easy once you get through on the phone.

They do call back.

But I get the impression it’s not as smooth as we’d like from the questions we get at the campaign office.

S

#1692 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:15 AM

...We spend time helping those who need guidance on obtaining a mail-in Ballot...

But can you go into people's homes and produce and upload scanned copies of ID for those who want mail-in ballots? This is clearly a disadvantage for the elderly.

#1693 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:17 AM

I gave up on trying for the mail-in ballot...

I did too. I am still undecided, under the current pandemic restrictions, if I will make the effort to get to a polling station.

#1694 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:21 AM

We hear this a lot.

Friends tell me it’s easy once you get through on the phone.

They do call back.

But I get the impression it’s not as smooth as we’d like from the questions we get at the campaign office.

S

The question is why it photo id required for the municipal election when it wasn't for the Provincial one?

My point on potential abuse of vouching is based on what happened during the Provincial election. Our Place stated that they would have a social worker on site to vouch for people. https://www.timescol...t-24-1.24226405

ur Place Society on Pandora Avenue will have a polling station from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. An outreach worker will be on site to vouch for voters who have other forms of ID, such as social-assistance cheques, medical prescriptions or bus passes.

Sounds innocent enough but the rules clearly state that a voter can only vouch for one other person and then that person cannot vouch for anyone else. Did our place have hundreds of social workers on site?

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#1695 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:28 AM

Sounds innocent enough but the rules clearly state that a voter can only vouch for one other person and then that person cannot vouch for anyone else. Did our place have hundreds of social workers on site?

One homeless person from Toronto can vouch for another homeless person from Calgary? 

#1696 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:37 AM

One homeless person from Toronto can vouch for another homeless person from Calgary?

The person doing the vouching has to be a registered voter but yes they can then vouch for anyone. Nobody is going to verify anything. The problem I have with the TC article is that it implies one social worker will be vouching for many people.
  • Nparker likes this

#1697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,517 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:24 AM

We should have held this months ago. Now we’re going into a near-lockdown scenario and people are going to be taking the situation very seriously, which means some won’t bother with the ID submission, and will stay away from non-essential public spaces like voting lineups.
  • newbie_01 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1698 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:39 AM

I thought the whole uploading a photo of your ID was a bit too cumbersome, so I gave up the first time. But then I filled out the request form on my smartphone, and it was much simpler to complete the process that way. I just took a photo of my ID, and it was very easy to attach to the application. Didn't need to use a scanner or anything.

#1699 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:06 AM

I thought the whole uploading a photo of your ID was a bit too cumbersome, so I gave up the first time. But then I filled out the request form on my smartphone, and it was much simpler to complete the process that way. I just took a photo of my ID, and it was very easy to attach to the application. Didn't need to use a scanner or anything.

Good to hear but how many older folks have a smartphone and if they do use it for more than email and facebook?!

#1700 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

We are setting up rides if needed.

Is that not now banned under the new covid rules? 

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)