Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1701 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:47 AM

I did too. I am still undecided, under the current pandemic restrictions, if I will make the effort to get to a polling station.

Please do!!!!

#1702 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:34 PM

Local man-about-town and a well known figure in the arts community, Roshan Vickery, is running. I just learned today. I don’t know what his platform is about.

Looks like he is being backed by Pam Madoff: Roshan Vickery Instagram Post

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#1703 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:39 PM

Looks like he is being backed by Pam Madoff

That secures my vote - NOT.

• DavidSchell likes this

#1704 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:09 PM

But can you go into people's homes and produce and upload scanned copies of ID for those who want mail-in ballots? This is clearly a disadvantage for the elderly.

I got some direction on this today and will lay out a plan next week - early. You guys helped with this idea we are going to lay out. Help is on the way.
  • Nparker likes this

#1705 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:26 PM

Thank you Stephen. I had to do a double take on your post above as I thought it said "Helps" is on the way and that wouldn't be good at all!  :eek:

• rmpeers likes this

#1706 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:40 PM

The question is why it photo id required for the municipal election when it wasn't for the Provincial one?

My point on potential abuse of vouching is based on what happened during the Provincial election. Our Place stated that they would have a social worker on site to vouch for people. https://www.timescol...t-24-1.24226405

ur Place Society on Pandora Avenue will have a polling station from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. An outreach worker will be on site to vouch for voters who have other forms of ID, such as social-assistance cheques, medical prescriptions or bus passes.

Sounds innocent enough but the rules clearly state that a voter can only vouch for one other person and then that person cannot vouch for anyone else. Did our place have hundreds of social workers on site?

Is that not now banned under the new covid rules? 

there was an ORDER in place from the chief electoral officer for b.c. allowing for multiple vouching specifically,  in homeless shelters and certain facilties for the elderly/infirm...elswhere, the one vouch per person applied excepting for family members who could vouch for several family members if required

a person vouched for, however, could not vouch for another person...no vouched vouching allowed

#1707 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:58 PM

Thank you Stephen. I had to do a double take on your post above as I thought it said "Helps" is on the way and that wouldn't be good at all! :eek:

Yes, lets avoid the words help and helps, which have become triggers for many of us. ;)
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1708 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:45 PM

I hope we can identify the person stealing Stephen Andrew's election signs. 

Capture.JPG

Interfering with the ability to communicate to voters is nothing short of a crime against democracy.

• rmpeers and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#1709 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,317 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:47 PM

could be alan lowe.

#1710 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

^True, he just confessed. Seriously from the other angle he's a long-haired kid, doesn't really look Asian. 

https://www.facebook...005361469492258

Edited by Rob Randall, 21 November 2020 - 01:03 PM.

#1711 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:11 PM

Grrr... if they think they cant win of their own merit, and without restricting democracy, maybe they should review their platform.... it’s a sad state of affairs....

#1712 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:14 PM

Interfering with the ability to communicate to voters is nothing short of a crime against democracy.

We sure this isn't the guy placing the signs with the video being run in reverse!

• Rob Randall, John M. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1713 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:15 PM

Whoa, slow down. Not a shred of evidence this has anything to do with TV. There are a lot of people associated with the street community that mistakenly think Stephen is "anti-homeless".

• John M., Brayvehart and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#1714 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:21 PM

there was an ORDER in place from the chief electoral officer for b.c. allowing for multiple vouching specifically,  in homeless shelters and certain facilties for the elderly/infirm...elswhere, the one vouch per person applied excepting for family members who could vouch for several family members if required

a person vouched for, however, could not vouch for another person...no vouched vouching allowed

Thanks Tommy

The question then is whether Victoria plans to implement the same "multiple vouching system" that existing during the Provincial election? Do you happen to know? Could results in hundreds of extra votes if so.

#1715 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Tommy

The question then is whether Victoria plans to implement the same "multiple vouching system" that existing during the Provincial election? Do you happen to know? Could results in hundreds of extra votes if so.

city does not hire outsiders to work elections...so i cannot know in this case.

but i would think they would need a provincial order as the election is governed by provincial legislation...they do not have the authority to do whatever they want.

#1716 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:09 PM

...There are a lot of people associated with the street community that mistakenly think Stephen is "anti-homeless".

A message no doubt supported by TV.

• rmpeers and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#1717 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:10 PM

Despite the actions of the thief shown above, I did see lots of Stephen Andrew signs when I was out an about this afternoon.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#1718 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:35 PM

I thought the whole uploading a photo of your ID was a bit too cumbersome, so I gave up the first time. But then I filled out the request form on my smartphone, and it was much simpler to complete the process that way. I just took a photo of my ID, and it was very easy to attach to the application. Didn't need to use a scanner or anything.

I don't have a smartphone, lol. 

I figure I'll go to the advance poll and scope out when there's a lull, then make sure nobody comes close to me. I'll have a pen/pencil ready to go. 

Edited by mbjj, 21 November 2020 - 04:38 PM.

#1719 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:58 PM

I don't have a smartphone, lol.

I figure I'll go to the advance poll and scope out when there's a lull, then make sure nobody comes close to me. I'll have a pen/pencil ready to go.

The only reasons we have signs out us due to s dedicated team. We lost about 300 small sigs,
4 large signs at a significant cost.

It’s donations that make this work. From $4 to whatever.

That’s who they insult with this behaviour.

It’s really disgusting
  • Nparker and rmpeers like this

#1720 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:32 PM

Does the "street community" even know there is an election happening? 

I guessing if TV paid them to go to the polls they would be aware.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users