City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1741 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

Never heard of him. 

What are people's thoughts on Roshan Vickery? 

#1742 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:41 AM

I gotta say that when I see endorsements from leaders of unions I don't feel comfortable that there's a true separation of governance and operations. 

Seeing endorsements on Facebook from municipal union worker leadership really feels like there's not a proper separation. Maybe it doesn't matter. Optics don't look good. CUPE, BCGEU, Victoria Labour Council etc. 

I'm not sure how much I personally trust my mail in ballot with this crew. We need some new blood.

#1743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:51 AM

What are people's thoughts on Roshan Vickery? 

I've met him on several occasions and he is a much liked and well known persona in the arts community. His involvement there, and his downtown lifestyle, makes him a good choice from an urbanism and culture perspective, but I don't know exactly where on the spectrum he would fit between Andrew and Hardman.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1744 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:07 AM

If you're wondering how council is getting support and why they don't think holistically, check out http://videa.ca/ .  They are based out of Victoria with a reasonable amount of staff along with a youth wing.  They have been operating for decades so you'll start to have mass for those that have gone through the program.  Seriously, check out their programming!

#1745 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:12 AM

You sure know how to start a morning ‍♂

Sorry Stephen, I hope I am wrong.

I stumbled across your interview with Duncan Morrison again recently (the one where he was tugging on your microphone)
My favourite clip of all time.

I am rooting for you and will vote for you (as a non-resident property owner)
  • Mike K., Nparker, Stephen Andrew and 2 others like this

#1746 conservatism-vs-pcndp

conservatism-vs-pcndp
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:20 AM

The only reasons we have signs out us due to s dedicated team. We lost about 300 small sigs,
4 large signs at a significant cost.

It’s donations that make this work. From $4 to whatever.

That’s who they insult with this behaviour.

It’s really disgusting

It's how the NDP/Victoria Labour Council/ Antifa operates.

#1747 conservatism-vs-pcndp

conservatism-vs-pcndp
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:27 AM

If Stephen Andrew wins you can bet that TV and supporters will contest it. Based on the ridiculous comments about seeing signs of a candidate they don't support. Completely un-democratic. 

Recall turnout being decent for the 2018 election. Might be so-so this year with the combo of people not knowing about the by-election. Hoping the city has it figured out how to facilitate the mail in ballots properly. 

People now see beyond the veil of TV and council. People I personally know who vote Green and NDP are not convinced that they're progressive. They're tired of hearing justifications for break and enters and human excrement and used needles left around. 

I hear comments like: 'This is the 2nd time our building has been broken into and I think that the choices of council have contributed to it' 'Tired of everyone being a victim and not having consideration for basic crime' 'Of course addicts know that their allies will protect them if they just say how hard it is and how much they want to change if only they had XYZ' 

If Stephen Andrew wins you can bet that TV and supporters will contest it. Based on the ridiculous comments about seeing signs of a candidate they don't support. Completely un-democratic. 

Recall turnout being decent for the 2018 election. Might be so-so this year with the combo of people not knowing about the by-election. Hoping the city has it figured out how to facilitate the mail in ballots properly. 

People now see beyond the veil of TV and council. People I personally know who vote Green and NDP are not convinced that they're progressive. They're tired of hearing justifications for break and enters and human excrement and used needles left around. 

I hear comments like: 'This is the 2nd time our building has been broken into and I think that the choices of council have contributed to it' 'Tired of everyone being a victim and not having consideration for basic crime' 'Of course addicts know that their allies will protect them if they just say how hard it is and how much they want to change if only they had XYZ' 

If Stephen beats someone from the secret NDP/Victoria Labour Council Endorse Party it will be the first time in a long time other than a single exception. Of course they always cheat

with the assistance of Cupe members at City Hall Elections who never question the lack of declaration on the endorsees election expense/donation declaration. Yet the secret 40,000 

household Union/NDP current and retired list with mailing and phoning is the principal determinent of electoral success in Victoria year after year.

#1748 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:33 AM

You're certainly not alone in your point of view, C. There is a lot of interweaving of election support that takes place during Victoria's elections. I've seen it first hand, and have confronted it on multiple occasions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1749 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:43 AM

The equation of the NDP with Together Victoria is amusing. If you think people like Rob Fleming would have anything to do with TV....

• rmpeers and Brayvehart like this

#1750 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:50 AM

The equation of the NDP with Together Victoria is amusing. If you think people like Rob Fleming would have anything to do with TV....

How can it be amusing, if former TV councillor-elect Laurel Collins is now an NDP MP for Victoria, and NDP supporters, both federal and provincial, are working on Hardman's campaign?

Know it all.

#1751 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:27 PM

How can it be amusing, if former TV councillor-elect Laurel Collins is now an NDP MP for Victoria, and NDP supporters, both federal and provincial, are working on Hardman's campaign?

I guess I'm just saying there is no love-lost between Victoria Council and the provincial NDP government. I doubt many hardcore TV supporters supported the BC NDP in the last election

• Nparker and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#1752 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:21 PM

There's def some crossover, but it's like the fringe extreme of the NDP, far from more moderate style of Horgan and others.

#1753 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:32 PM

You’d be surprised. Grace Lore is no more extreme than Hardman, and she was just elected as an NDP MLA after running for a council position. Potts, I would say, is the sole activist-type, Collins was middle of the road, and Dubow is somewhere in between. Hardman is between Potts and Collins.
  • TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

Know it all.

#1754 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,749 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:41 PM

...Hardman is between Potts and Collins.

That alone is reason to keep her off council.

• mbjj likes this

#1755 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:32 PM

Lot's of interesting exchanges. One that jumped out at me was a direct question to Stefanie about her thoughts on the police budget and defunding the police. She appeared to make some comment about getting certain comments and questions because she's a woman in politics, then proceeds to not really answer the question, saying no further comments. Starts at 35:30.

Seems like a fair question to ask considering the attitudes and questions of the other Together Victoria council members towards the police chief. One council meeting saw Helps actually step in to re affirm something the chief was saying about anti-racist measures. 

The comment about her not being aligned with a man on council: who does she mean? Both Issit and Loveday were mentioned. And Dubow her fellow Together Victoria endorsed team mate is on council too. Which man is she talking about? 

https://www.youtube....h?v=uy5f4ZSZJ4Q

#1756 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:40 PM

What a small world. Steven Andrew and Chamber head Bruce Williams are former CTV colleagues.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

Know it all.

#1757 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

Oh wow, she actually played that card: how dare you accuse me--a woman--of being a puppet of a man.

That's not the angle Andrew was coming from at all. He was pretty straightforward, you're aligned ideologically with Isitt/Loveday, are you truly independent. 

• Mike K., sebberry, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#1758 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:18 PM

You’d be surprised. Grace Lore is no more extreme than Hardman, and she was just elected as an NDP MLA after running for a council position. Potts, I would say, is the sole activist-type, Collins was middle of the road, and Dubow is somewhere in between. Hardman is between Potts and Collins.

Grace wasn't part of TV, she was supported by the Mayor. In fact she ran against the TV backed candidate for the MLA role.

#1759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:19 PM

Yes, but the point I was making is support for the NDP is interwoven with municipal politics, and that includes TV.

• Nparker and JohnsonStBridge like this

Know it all.

#1760 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:25 PM

Sounds like when Hardman was asked the same question on CFAX several months back. No answer, looks to handler, then chuckles. 

Can someone explain to me what exactly is a "progressive"? Anyone I've seen who makes that claim seems a little bonkers to me. 

• sebberry, Victoria Watcher and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users