Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1781 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:46 AM

I just read it. Kind of a nasty article, I thought. If he was on the boulevard there should have been no issue.

But who cares about Buzz anyway? I never heard of it until you posted the link.

Well, it's not journalism, by any reasonable standard. Some people have the skill to be journalists, others end up scrawling sketchy PR pieces for Victoria Buzz.

#1782 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:01 AM

The key paragraph is from a statement the City sent: “However, they do not have exclusive use of those public spaces and, generally speaking, are not permitted to exclude members of the public from the area.”

Clearly the market operators do not get to dictate who uses public spaces like a boulevard, permit for a market or not. Not liking someone using a public space next to your market is tough luck, it sounds like. Besides, this will all be over in two weeks.
  • grantpalin, rmpeers, TwilightZoneVictoria and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1783 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:27 AM

The key paragraph is from a statement the City sent: “However, they do not have exclusive use of those public spaces and, generally speaking, are not permitted to exclude members of the public from the area.”

Clearly the market operators do not get to dictate who uses public spaces like a boulevard, permit for a market or not. Not liking someone using a public space next to your market is tough luck, it sounds like. Besides, this will all be over in two weeks.

yup.  they don't run the sidewalk.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#1784 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:44 AM

Seems like there was a pretty clear policy against campaigning at the market. Not a good look for Stephen to completely ignore it, and then fight it.

Good God! We did not campaign at the Market. We were outside the grounds. We were nowhere near the stalls. We were in the Boulevard - away from the school lands. There were NO stalls anywhere near us. We were outside a fence. We did not block the sidewalk.

This is a very minor issue. It’s in the past We broke no laws or covid protocols.

We disagree with the Organizer’s interpretation.

We reject the allegations made by the organizers as they are completely without merit. We have no interest in furthering this issue by giving any credence to the allegations.

I will say the people of Victoria have a fundamental and constitutional right to be informed about the election. The Organizers have no right to arbitrate our rights.

The fact the Organizers are making this very minor issue public when I have made good faith efforts to work with them says to me that they are acting as political operatives with a particular agenda and not as custodians of a cherished public institution.
  • Nparker, rjag, grantpalin and 5 others like this

#1785 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:46 AM

It certainly reeks of an undercurrent of political bias, both on the side of the market operator and the person who wrote the piece.

The article should have started with the city’s statement, not included near the end.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1786 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

It certainly reeks of an undercurrent of political bias, both on the side of the market operator and the person who wrote the piece.

The article should have started with the city’s statement, not included near the end.

Correct. Given the city statement, the whole article should have been written differently, or not at all.
Notice that the city statement was pushed down to the bottom of the article. I suspect this is the smear machine at work. I hope I’m wrong but it sure looks like it.

#1787 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

why did the article even appear 3 weeks after the event. kind of old news no?

#1788 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:07 AM

Agreed, he is definitely allowed both on the grounds, and outside the grounds.

However, if the organizers go up to him and say “Hey sorry, we have a policy against campaigning at the market”, and instead of saying “oh shoot sorry, I had no idea! Maybe I can set up a booth sometime?” Or “sure, no worries, we will be on our way!” He instead causes a scene to the extent that which the cops need to be called? I guess it’s just not a good look for someone running for office.
  • John M., Brayvehart and m3m like this

#1789 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:25 AM

If it were legit journalism, yes, re city statement. Actually, I doubt any editor would've given a story like this the green light.

#1790 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:28 AM

Sounds like they were outside on the public boulevard, not inside the market grounds. The market doesn't get to control public boulevards outside of where their market is. 

The organizer comes across as an idiot who was offended that someone didn't do something they weren't legally required to do. Last time I checked people are allowed to congregate on public boulevards.

If that's not the case you better start yelling at people who allow their dogs to poop on the boulevard outside your apartment 

However, if the organizers go up to him and say “Hey sorry, we have a policy against campaigning at the market”, and instead of saying “oh shoot sorry, I had no idea! Maybe I can set up a booth sometime?” Or “sure, no worries, we will be on our way!” He instead causes a scene to the extent that which the cops need to be called? I guess it’s just not a good look for someone running for office.

#1791 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:29 AM

why did the article even appear 3 weeks after the event. kind of old news no?

TV getting worried, I suppose. Maybe they just got some worrying polling data and decided to try something different. "Huh, we tried calling him misogynist, nobody bought it. We tried painting him as a homeless hater... maybe (bong sound effect)... we invent a story so we can do that Stephen Hammond schtick... you know, angry white man type thing..."

Edited by rmpeers, 27 November 2020 - 11:29 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1792 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:29 AM

It's a grey area.

Nobody is allowed to set up his own booth inside without permission of course.

But it's also fine to walk around the market chatting with people. 

It appears Andrew was on the boulevard, which is City property, not the school's. Sometimes there are vendors set up on the boulevard, sometimes not so it's debatable whether this was even the market's jurisdiction. 

If I were running the market I would say tie goes to the runner and he can pamphlet out there on the grass all he wants. He's not disturbing anyone and any other candidate is free to stand on City property alongside him.

There has always been an expectation candidates will campaign at public events--I remember Mayor Fortin and his team pamphletting inside the grounds at the gay pride festival.  

Edited by Rob Randall, 27 November 2020 - 11:31 AM.

• Brayvehart and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#1793 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:38 AM

sounds like the market coordinator is a real karen.

• rjag likes this

#1794 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:57 AM

TV is pulling out all the stops to misrepresent SA. They havent done enough damage to the City with Potts and Dubow (and Isitt behind the red curtain), they really want to double down.

Its all a charade of their concern for a 'more inclusionary affordable City' etc etc the history books are full of these people and they never end well

• Nparker, mbjj, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#1795 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:07 PM

A market does not have the grounds to dictate what does and does not happen on public land near their market.

Stephen Andrew did not cause a scene, the event organizer caused scene. She overstepped her boundary and tried to misrepresent what her market permit allowed and did not allow for. The City of Victoria cannot be any more clearer on the rights of Stephen Andrew or any member of the public than they were when they stated "[the organizers] do not have exclusive use of those public spaces and, generally speaking, are not permitted to exclude members of the public from the area.”

• Nparker, DavidL and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

#1796 m3m

m3m
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:47 PM

What stephen was doing was probably okay - although it is a grey area. 

However..... I'm getting very tired of the constant conspiracy theories about the shadowy and powerful Together Victoria cabal that is secretly controlling Victoria's public markets and independent press. 

• Rob Randall, gstc84, John M. and 1 other like this

#1797 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:50 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if he were one of those calling for defunding the police too... that group of people seems to have a very sensitive trigger to call the police, even though they want to get rid of it...

#1798 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:51 PM

TV getting worried, I suppose. Maybe they just got some worrying polling data and decided to try something different. "Huh, we tried calling him misogynist, nobody bought it. We tried painting him as a homeless hater... maybe (bong sound effect)... we invent a story so we can do that Stephen Hammond schtick... you know, angry white man type thing..."

Worried? No... just regular campaigning... demonize the other side

#1799 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:54 PM

What stephen was doing was probably okay - although it is a grey area.

There is no grey area here.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1800 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:56 PM

It's a grey area because it's not clear if the boulevard constitutes true market territory since vendors do set up there.

• Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)