Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1801 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:12 PM

Also, according to the official market map, the boulevard is part of the market area:  

http://www.mossstree...ds-Map-2020.pdf

• Brayvehart likes this

#1802 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:47 PM

Agreed, he is definitely allowed both on the grounds, and outside the grounds.

However, if the organizers go up to him and say “Hey sorry, we have a policy against campaigning at the market”, and instead of saying “oh shoot sorry, I had no idea! Maybe I can set up a booth sometime?” Or “sure, no worries, we will be on our way!” He instead causes a scene to the extent that which the cops need to be called? I guess it’s just not a good look for someone running for office.

Regardless of who was right or wrong, the outcome is an article portraying Stephen as a stubborn hothead which is EXACTLY the tactic that TV used effectively last election.

I am a supporter of Stephen and hope his wins but he can't afford these missteps. 

Edited by spanky123, 27 November 2020 - 01:48 PM.

• Awaiting Juno and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#1803 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,858 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

For the second time this week, a candidate has unofficially withdrawn from the Victoria council byelection and thrown his support behind Stephen Andrew.

Keith Rosenberg confirmed Friday that he has ended his campaign, although his name will still appear on the Dec. 12 ballot.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24246858

Rosenberg said he and his wife are home-schooling two children with special needs as well as supporting his parents in seniors care during the pandemic.

“I just said, ‘You know, I’m wondering if I bit off more than I can chew right now.’ ”

Rosenberg said he tried to officially withdraw from the race, but was too late to get his name removed from the ballot.

“I refuse to try to make any promises to the people that I cannot follow through on,” he said in an emailed response to a Time Colonist survey of candidates.

“So although my name will STILL be on the ballot, I will not be campaigning for the position at this time.”

Rosenberg said in an interview that he agrees with many of the ideas in Andrew’s platform and would like to see him elected.

“I think he would be a breath of fresh air,” he said.

Andrew welcomed Rosenberg’s support.

“I am particularly proud of his stance against council several months ago when he dressed them down for their needless attack on Remembrance Day and our veterans,” he said.

Rosenberg, a Canadian military veteran, was among those who criticized council last year for voting to ask the Department of National Defence Department and Veterans Affairs Canada to help with policing costs for Remembrance Day and other military-related events. Following a backlash, council dropped the motion and apologized.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 November 2020 - 02:30 PM.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#1804 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:44 PM

One has to wonder why so many people threw their hats in the ring to begin with?

• Rob Randall likes this

#1805 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:46 PM

I see there is a kid vendor area on that map.

I didn't think you were allowed to sell those.

#1806 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

It's the second or third Victoria buzz article with a subtle or not so subtly attack on Stephen.

Their other headline was something like "Stephen Andrew denies allegations that he is a misogynist"

#1807 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:41 PM

It's a grey area because it's not clear if the boulevard constitutes true market territory since vendors do set up there.

Rob to be clear - we were nowhere near anyone in the market.

Had a stall been there - we wouldn’t.

The Organizers do not get dominion of the land. Even IF there was a stall there, organizers still do not have the right to exclude access.

However, we did not interfere, would not have done so.

And what really is important, we voluntarily departed.

I think the organizers need an education in rights of freedom, movement and political campaigning.

#1808 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:44 PM

Also, according to the official market map, the boulevard is part of the market area:

http://www.mossstree...ds-Map-2020.pdf

The market does not get to determine this. It can set up whatever policies it wants, it just doesn’t supersede rights granted under law. This is a dangerous slope if we give policing jurisdiction to committees.
  • Mike K., Nparker, mbjj and 2 others like this

#1809 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:44 PM

I just read it. Kind of a nasty article, I thought. If he was on the boulevard there should have been no issue.

But who cares about Buzz anyway? I never heard of it until you posted the link.

It's the biggest social media page in Victoria by far

#1810 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

One has to wonder why so many people threw their hats in the ring to begin with?

Many have delusions of adequacy.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#1811 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:46 PM

Considering the tactics taken by TV and their alliance in council, I'd have someone there with a gopro rolling to put an end to the lies.

• Awaiting Juno and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#1812 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:13 PM

I suspect that the characterizations made by the Moss Street ED aren't true or are at least misrepresented.

The wording appears to suggest that the marketing manager dealt with the issue. So why does the ED talk about it like he was there? Was he there?

Also instead of using clear factsof the interactions in a 'he said she said' he uses a bunch of adjectives in such a way that comes across as trying to get the reader to have those same judgements. 

Interpretations instead of telling the readers what happened so we can make our own judgement. 

Nothing makes me more annoyed than people trying to tell me what to think rather than giving me facts so I can decide on my own. 

Based on what I'm reading I suspect that the Moss Street Market staff were the ones who were belligerent with a toxic attitude and lack of common decency. 

Regardless of who was right or wrong, the outcome is an article portraying Stephen as a stubborn hothead which is EXACTLY the tactic that TV used effectively last election.

I am a supporter of Stephen and hope his wins but he can't afford these missteps. 

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1813 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:20 PM

She keeps saying she's an urban planner with a lot of experience.

I see nothing but non-profit advocacy work. And I don't see her associated with the province's planning association. Maybe her certification is somewhere else? 

https://www.pibc.bc....ster-of-members

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1814 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:42 PM

Not to start rumours - thus photographic proof attached, but I notice Stephen Andrew has spending a LOT of time in the Local’s patio as of late. Can you imagine having a beer on the patio with Ben or Lisa smiling at you?

The Stephen Andrew character attack reminds me of what Clark and Weaver tried to do to Horgan in the 2017 election. Portray him as an angry man who is easily provoked - in the end that failed, and remarkably Horgan has been unflappable. I think that will be the same for Stephen Andrew - he’s a reasonable man with principles, not bound by ideology; concerned about homelessness and it’s impact on all involved. We really need some balance on council.

Attached Images

• F03822D9-284B-4764-8F1E-2D50AA73A528.jpeg

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 4 others like this

#1815 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 09:32 PM

Not to start rumours - thus photographic proof attached, but I notice Stephen Andrew has spending a LOT of time in the Local’s patio as of late. Can you imagine having a beer on the patio with Ben or Lisa smiling at you?

The Stephen Andrew character attack reminds me of what Clark and Weaver tried to do to Horgan in the 2017 election. Portray him as an angry man who is easily provoked - in the end that failed, and remarkably Horgan has been unflappable. I think that will be the same for Stephen Andrew - he’s a reasonable man with principles, not bound by ideology; concerned about homelessness and it’s impact on all involved. We really need some balance on council.

Balance, i really think that is the key word at the moment when it comes to council, it is not balanced, when you have a slate taking up a good chunk of the council it's hard to see the rest of the city being represented and there being a balance at the table.. many people in this city do not feel they are represented by the current council or that they even have a voice in this city due to the lack of balance...

• Nparker, mbjj, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

#1816 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:10 PM

Well said Midnightly.

#1817 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:13 PM

...Can you imagine having a beer on the patio with Ben or Lisa smiling at you...

Perhaps not a beer, but maybe a White Russian or Bloody Mary.

#1818 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:10 AM

That publican is a huge supporter of Andrew.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1819 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:47 AM

^Of course he's a supporter, Andrew put the final nail in the coffin of the career of the fellow directly across Wharf Street, a restaurateur who had been terrorizing Victorians for over 30 years.

#1820 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:51 AM

Was The Local even around then?

The owner ran for council in the last(?) election. He’s highly politically active and it is clear his views align with those of Andrew, regardless of what went on across the street many years ago. Morrison is still involved with that restaurant indirectly, no? It has been renamed from Wharfside.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users