Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#121 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

^ In many of these cases, the candidate has already been chosen. The "process" is for appearances only. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#122 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

Maybe we should try to get some retired folks that have actually accomplished something in their lifetime to run for council.

They have all day to look at e-mails and formulate answers, time to go to meetings, and they are on a pension, they don't care about the pay.

Bonus, it would give them less time to write letters to the editor.

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#123 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

Maybe we should try to get some retired folks that have actually accomplished something in their lifetime to run for council.

They have all day to look at e-mails and formulate answers, time to go to meetings, and they are on a pension, they don't care about the pay.

Bonus, it would give them less time to write letters to the editor.

That's what normally happens - municipal politics here are generally dominated by the whims of retirees primarily concerned with their own convenience, and why so much energy is spent on making sure the fewest amount of things happen. Leftist activist types are one of the few politically viable counterbalances. Evidently the likes of Ben and the TV slate aren't the path towards a properly-run city (whether in the CoV or elsewhere in the region), but youth in particular are drawn to them because at least they pretend to represent their interests and worldview. So our politics are largely NIMBY types who want to protect every inch of whatever turf they claim vs progressives who want to save the world before they make their own beds. Again, expecting civic pragmatic-types to be drawn to a shoestring wage, or sink their own campaigns by promising to work part-time is not a winning proposition to break the current paradigm.

We're the hub of the island, the capital of the actual West... whether people like it or not, the CoV and the CRD will remain a growing place of government, tourism, business, learning, technology and even military. The people representing the core should at least earn enough to afford a small apartment within city limits, lest we keep complaining about the pool and the amount of time activist-types can spend campaigning. *shrugs*

Edited by Casual Kev, 22 November 2019 - 04:09 PM.

#124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

...The people representing the core should at least earn enough to afford a small apartment within city limits, lest we keep complaining about the pool and the amount of time activist-types can spend campaigning. *shrugs*

Make amalgamation happen and then we can discuss higher-value compensation for our locally elected representatives. Raises higher than an inflationary increase are a non-starter at this juncture.

#125 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:27 PM

Make amalgamation happen and then we can discuss higher-value compensation for our locally elected representatives. Raises higher than an inflationary increase are a non-starter at this juncture.

I do agree with you in spirit, the CRD needs amalgamation badly. But so little political will to carry it out exists in part because CoV has to deal with most of the BS, so why would people in Saanich or Oak Bay join in if they can say no? While citizens in these municipalities invest political capital to fight basement suites and piles of rock, citizens in the CoV has to spend the same capital in things like the local housing crisis, the opioids epidemic and the millions of tourists. The only way it'll happen is if the provincial government forces the CRD to do it, and I don't see a Mike Harris anywhere. Until then the CoV has to effectively serve a population far beyond its own constituents, hence this whole conversation.

#126 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:13 PM

I do agree with you in spirit, the CRD needs amalgamation badly. But so little political will to carry it out exists in part because CoV has to deal with most of the BS, so why would people in Saanich or Oak Bay join in if they can say no? While citizens in these municipalities invest political capital to fight basement suites and piles of rock, citizens in the CoV has to spend the same capital in things like the local housing crisis, the opioids epidemic and the millions of tourists. The only way it'll happen is if the provincial government forces the CRD to do it, and I don't see a Mike Harris anywhere. Until then the CoV has to effectively serve a population far beyond its own constituents, hence this whole conversation.

Of course they cause most of that BS so it is only fair they deal with it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#127 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:56 PM

Call me self centred but everyone is in their own way. Not a chance in hell would I give up Langfords mayor, council and municipal staff for those in the City of Victoria, Saanich,Oak Bay or really any of the other areas. I look around Langford and I see new arenas,new playing fields, new schools ,new business opportunities and the list goes on and on. These were created by a strong political will and serve all of us living in the Western Communities well.

While many may disagree and say that this has come at the expense of a certain rural quality of life I understand that  but let me ask them this - if the people are coming and need these facilities for the quality of life that they themselves demand where else could they go? The City of Victoria has ruined its downtown, has dithered and wrung their hands over the Crystal Pool, has no housing solutions at all and really no long term political will to do anything other than some homespun social engineering that fails time and time again (hello bike lanes!).

Lisa Helps, Ben Issitt and the like have no place in my world. I would never risk amalgamation if the result were to risk their ilk at the helm. No thanks - I will live in the Western Communities and be thankful for the leadership shown out here.

Edited by davidN, 22 November 2019 - 07:59 PM.

• LJ likes this

#128 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

Call me self centred but everyone is in their own way. Not a chance in hell would I give up Langfords mayor, council and municipal staff for those in the City of Victoria, Saanich,Oak Bay or really any of the other areas. I look around Langford and I see new arenas,new playing fields, new schools ,new business opportunities and the list goes on and on. These were created by a strong political will and serve all of us living in the Western Communities well.

While many may disagree and say that this has come at the expense of a certain rural quality of life I understand that  but let me ask them this - if the people are coming and need these facilities for the quality of life that they themselves demand where else could they go? The City of Victoria has ruined its downtown, has dithered and wrung their hands over the Crystal Pool, has no housing solutions at all and really no long term political will to do anything other than some homespun social engineering that fails time and time again (hello bike lanes!).

Lisa Helps, Ben Issitt and the like have no place in my world. I would never risk amalgamation if the result were to risk their ilk at the helm. No thanks - I will live in the Western Communities and be thankful for the leadership shown out here.

...to be sure, no one is suggesting that the westshore be amalgamated with the CoV.... Victoria/Oak Bay/Esquimalt/South End Saanich......Northend Saanich, the Saaniches and north...while westshore gets to swallow colwood,highlands,view royal and metchosin

three good sized municipalities instead of 13

here's a doodle

Attached Images

• map-2019-greater-victoria-property-assessments.jpg

Edited by tommy, 22 November 2019 - 08:11 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#129 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:21 AM

Don't worry, if Saanich and the CoV amalgamate that's already a miracle in itself.

#130 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

That's what normally happens - municipal politics here are generally dominated by the whims of retirees primarily concerned with their own convenience, and why so much energy is spent on making sure the fewest amount of things happen. Leftist activist types are one of the few politically viable counterbalances. Evidently the likes of Ben and the TV slate aren't the path towards a properly-run city (whether in the CoV or elsewhere in the region), but youth in particular are drawn to them because at least they pretend to represent their interests and worldview. So our politics are largely NIMBY types who want to protect every inch of whatever turf they claim vs progressives who want to save the world before they make their own beds. Again, expecting civic pragmatic-types to be drawn to a shoestring wage, or sink their own campaigns by promising to work part-time is not a winning proposition to break the current paradigm.

We're the hub of the island, the capital of the actual West... whether people like it or not, the CoV and the CRD will remain a growing place of government, tourism, business, learning, technology and even military. The people representing the core should at least earn enough to afford a small apartment within city limits, lest we keep complaining about the pool and the amount of time activist-types can spend campaigning. *shrugs*

This is a misrepresentation of the job.  

The job is an overseer not a manager and this is the problem.  Their role is (supposed to be) governance, for god's sake, and guidance and in no way is this a full time job, especially with the opaque and unaccountable CRD in place.  This BS that they have a larger job because they are the hub is the long-forgotten excuse for the most expensive regional government in BC, the CRD.   (Vancouver's regional gov costs them about $300 pp - ours is more like $1200!)  We've got people with no leadership experience doing the work of other governments and agencies AND micromanaging our little city.  They are tearing it apart because they are ignoring the moral requirement of their jobs:

That moral requirement is, btw, leadership in the area of governance.  Instead we have a governance vacuum, bordering on corruption.  Do you think these are strong words?  What would you call an elected entity that makes their own work, much to the frustration of the community (McDonald statue, letters to foreign governments, trips to China and the oil patch, suing the provincial government... and on) AND THEN uses that work to justify a breath-taking raise?  It's called a conflict of interest and, to anyone concerned with governance, is to be avoided under all circumstances.  

This council is immature bordering on corrupt.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and davidN like this

#131 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

Yes, they should get a job so they can do that and, if they care about public service, they should also stay on council.

• davidN likes this

#132 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:34 PM

The problem with this argument is the crazy assumption that THIS council would get reelected if we amalgamated.  What in the world makes people think so?  Of course they wouldn't.  Its a big part of the reason for all the foot-dragging.  Of course we need to amalgamate and all the leadership at the Provincial NDP has acknowledged so, in person.  They just don't feel it's enough of a priority to commit resources at this time.

• NotHudsonMack and Awaiting Juno like this

#133 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

Do you really think that it is a "crazy assumption" that this council would not get re elected? I seem to have heard that argument before with friends from south of the border. Look how that has turned out for them. They have elected the  most corrupt government in recent history. Crazy election results knows no borders

Just the fact that, if as you state, the leadership of the Provincial NDP backs this then that is enough for me to vote the other way. Victoria Council and the NDP are cut from the same cloth.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#134 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

Jeremy Caradonna and Karmen Mcnamarra have both announced. Karmen is going for Together Vic but not sure about Jeremy. Will be interesting to see how many people who don't get the Together Vic nomination still run.

Any other talk of candidates?

#135 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:57 AM

http://www.karmenfor...e-your-support/

I appreciate your support. Thank you!

The first step is to win the nomination for Together Victoria

Together Victoria is a local electoral organization. They have a thriving volunteer community and strong values that align with mine.

To support me in this step, you will need to become a member of Together Victoria on or before December 4, 2019.

Becoming a member is super easy, and costs $5 ($0 if unwaged).

You must be a member of Together Victoria for 30 days and a resident of BC for 6 months to be eligible to vote.

The Together Victoria candidate will be elected on January 5, 2020. 

#136 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:12 AM

^So i guess the real election is January 5th, with the February one just being a formality.

Also, “$0 for the unwaged”. So business owners and entrepreneurs get in free?
  • Matt R. likes this

#137 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

^Sure, just bring in your 2018 profit/loss statement.

#138 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

Wondering if a deterrent to any type of moderate candidate is that they and G Young will still end up getting outvoted by the Helps/Isitt/TV folks?

#139 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

...So business owners and entrepreneurs get in free?

I can't imagine the lineup of businesses wanting to support a TV candidate is very long.

#140 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

I can't imagine the lineup of businesses wanting to support a TV candidate is very long.

Well for $500 you can get 100 of your buddies together and vote for whomever you want. I am surprised that they are requiring only 30 days and not 60. The normal procedure is to set the longer time requirement to prevent new sign-ups.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users