Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#161 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

Except for one problem: non-tailpipe emissions are now worse than tailpipe emissions for particulate matter. Which means e-vehicles aren't going to do a damn thing about it. Those particulates are a mixture of tire bits, brake bits, and suspended dust from the road

Oof. That dust! Dust is changing our weather.

#162 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

Would there be continued support for Stephen Andrew were he to run again?  He came close last election and given the historical low turnout for by-elections a concentrated effort might be able to elect a moderate candidate in the current political climate.

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#163 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

What does this mean? Got some source material? Does that affect our climate?

Here's an article that mentions the report:  https://dailyhive.co...n-study-toronto .

Particle/dust pollution doesn't seem to impact the climate like CO2 does, but it *can* affect the health of people living near busy roads etc....

#164 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

What does this mean? Got some source material? Does that affect our climate?

Link: https://www.socaar.u...tion-in-canada/

• While pollutants from tailpipe exhaust have declined as cars have become cleaner, those emissions have been overtaken by other sources of traffic pollution, including fine particles and metal dust from increased wear on brakes and tires, a trend researchers say matches the growing prevalence of heavier consumer vehicles such as SUVs

from this report on the study

https://www.theglobe...d-health-risks/

and

NR_non-tailpipe.jpg

#165 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

Would there be continued support for Stephen Andrew were he to run again? He came close last election and given the historical low turnout for by-elections a concentrated effort might be able to elect a moderate candidate in the current political climate.

Thanks for reducing emissions by steering us back on topic. From what I've seen, I think Stephen would bring some much needed diversity of perspectives to the council table.
  • Mike K., Nparker, Hotel Mike and 2 others like this

#166 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

Okay, interesting. Maybe more of a problem with bigger vehicles as opposed to a shift to electric, though electric in general may be heavier than an equivalent ICE car. Do regenerative brakes output this stuff as much as standard brakes?

PS. a mod should hive this stuff off to the right topic...

Edited by lanforod, 26 November 2019 - 01:15 PM.

#167 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

Okay, interesting. Maybe more of a problem with bigger vehicles as opposed to a shift to electric, though electric in general may be heavier than an equivalent ICE car. Do regenerative brakes output this stuff as much as standard brakes?

PS. a mod should hive this stuff off to the right topic...

No, but my reading suggests that tire dust is a far bigger factor than brake dust, so that isn't going to change (and suspended dust from the road another source)

#168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

You're too late when it comes to Fairfield. Per census data, Fairfield actually has the highest population density of any neighbourhood on Vancouver Island. Much of that density comes in the form of 4-storey apartment blocks, secondary suites, and former SFHs converted into mutli-unit stratas; small lot sizes for the SFHs are likely a contributing factor too.

It's possible that Fairfield will be surpassed by Harris Green / Downtown in the near future, but the neighbourhood continues to densify (primarily through small projects)....

I guess I meant Fairfield away from cook and Fairfield road.

#169 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:44 PM

Link: https://www.socaar.u...tion-in-canada/

from this report on the study

https://www.theglobe...d-health-risks/

and

• While pollutants from tailpipe exhaust have declined as cars have become cleaner, those emissions have been overtaken by other sources of traffic pollution, including fine particles and metal dust from increased wear on brakes and tires, a trend researchers say matches the growing prevalence of heavier consumer vehicles such as SUVs
  •  

Vehicles have also gotten heavier due to all the safety requirements and hybrid battery/motor systems.  

I suppose then if you're worried about the trend of that orange line, you should opt for the non-hybrid version of your next car purchase :) 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#170 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:36 PM

Would there be continued support for Stephen Andrew were he to run again? He came close last election and given the historical low turnout for by-elections a concentrated effort might be able to elect a moderate candidate in the current political climate.

He’s already said he can’t due to other obligations. I think Andrew Reeve is considered it. The together Victoria machine is trying to find a candidate to get behind. It’s pretty frustrating- soon they’ll push the OGs out.. well, what’s left of them. I’m sure alto and TJ will be out in the next election. I’m sure there will be enough moderates that will vote for Geoff. The new council idea was great in theory but it didn’t have enough life behind it.
  • rmpeers likes this

#171 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:38 AM

So we are entering our 6th week since the Federal election and still no byelection announcement in Victoria. On CFAX today Andrew Weaver stated that the interm leader of the Greens doesn't not need to be an MLA and will be announced shortly.

Lisa Helps? :-)

#172 Edward Skelton

Edward Skelton
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:12 AM

I've heard there's 10 candidates so far confirmed in the running for Together Victoria. Their nomination meeting is going to be insane.

#173 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:21 AM

I've heard there's 10 candidates so far confirmed in the running for Together Victoria. Their nomination meeting is going to be insane.

Insane is considered a virtue with TV.

• rjag, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#174 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

I used to think Victoria politics was mostly free from the constraints of political parties. Sure, people like Pam and Dean had close ties to the NDP and others had ties to the Federal or Provincial Libs. Very informal however.

But having actual nomination meetings, that's something we haven't seen in a long time.

I hate the idea of any organization being the gatekeeper to running for council. 

• Mike K., rjag, grantpalin and 4 others like this

#175 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

I used to think Victoria politics was mostly free from the constraints of political parties. Sure, people like Pam and Dean had close ties to the NDP and others had ties to the Federal or Provincial Libs. Very informal however.

But having actual nomination meetings, that's something we haven't seen in a long time.

I hate the idea of any organization being the gatekeeper to running for council. 

Having an organised municipal party with open and transparent nominations is the way to go. NewCouncil's mistake was that it wasn't organised far-out from the election enough, and didn't have a transparent and open structure of a political party. I can go on TV's website and find out exactly who is in charge and (if I was interested) how to run for the nomination. 

• tedward likes this

#176 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:03 AM

Oh, I agree it's a strategic way to organize. 

#177 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

A nomination process also filters out the joke candidates and the crackpots. But there are downsides.

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

Should we place our bets on whether the chosen candidate will even be a City of Victoria taxpayer?

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#179 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

^You mean resident? Because I hate that term "taxpayer". 

• http, Coreyburger, tedward and 1 other like this

#180 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

Agreed. But also what about the suggestion that TV is essentially an extension of Ben and Jeremy? If true, I think voters deserve to have them be upfront about it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users