City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#301 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

A rinse station is typically like a shower, but not really hot water, I think. Like you see at public sandy beaches, particularly in California.

#302 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

Has anyone taken account of all the people running thus far?

Together Victoria (Have they all agreed to not run separately if they don't win the nomination, I wonder?)

Karmen MacNamara

Kyle Ephringham 

Riga Godron

Ryan Moen

Another woman who's name I can't recall

Jeremy Cardonna is running, but I'm not sure if its with TV or not. He doesn't seem to be (he's been out doorknocking by himself and hasn't advertised as being affiliated with TV on any of his web presence). 

Who else?

I've heard reliable rumors about Stephen Andrew. A new group that's been popping up ("A Better Victoria") appears to be some sort of civic organisation supporting his candidacy. 

Andrew Reeve? He might run if Stephen Andrew doesn't. 

Some people are talking up Chris Coleman or Pam Madoff making a return. The former I think is unlikely (To busy with personal and professional commitments, plus if he didn't like serving with one Ben imagine serving with 3 to 4) but the later I have no idea. She seems to be keeping her name and presence out there so it wouldn't totally surprise me. 

I've also heard speculation about either Jeff Bray or Catherine Holt running. Mark my words,Catherine will be mayor of Victoria someday, but I don't think now is her time, and I'd be very surprised if she ran. Not sure if Jeff Bray is done with politics fully or not, but he would be a credible candidate if he chose to run. 

#303 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:01 AM

Riga Godron

Ryan Moen

That's some real quality there TV.

• sebberry and John M. like this

#304 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:03 AM

...Mark my words,Catherine will be mayor of Victoria someday...

Is there really a chance the CoV electorate will make that sort of swing to the centre in the foreseeable future? 

#305 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:12 AM

...typical slate here...

Attached Images

• councilslate.png

#306 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:16 AM

I'd be tempted to elect any one of those folks over another TV candidate.

#307 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:25 AM

Is there really a chance the CoV electorate will make that sort of swing to the centre in the foreseeable future? 

I think the ideological divide really evaporates once you get to the municipal level a lot of the time. I mean, what, other than the fact she works for the Chamber, makes Catherine so much more centrist than someone like Marianne Alto? Anyone between Ben Isitt and Mike Geoheghan is really "centrist". 

• Bernard likes this

#308 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:30 AM

If Stephen Hammond can be painted as a right-wing night job, then I can only imagine the treatment Catherine Holt would get if she were to run for the CoV council.

• Bernard, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#309 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:36 PM

I think there is.  There's only so many times you can have your bike stolen, your car rifled through, your local business owner cranky because they yet again had to clean up puke from their entry way, and having to make needle sweeps at the local park before you'll let your kid play before you begin to wonder if life was really all that miserable when Alan Lowe or other business moderates ran the show.

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#310 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:11 PM

I hope you're right AJ, but I have my doubts about the wisdom of a large portion of the CoV electorate.

#311 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:19 PM

I think there is.  There's only so many times you can have your bike stolen, your car rifled through, your local business owner cranky because they yet again had to clean up puke from their entry way, and having to make needle sweeps at the local park before you'll let your kid play before you begin to wonder if life was really all that miserable when Alan Lowe or other business moderates ran the show.

I was hoping all that was going to come home to roost before we got stuck with TV.  

The real question is - *when* will people finally be sick of this?

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#312 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 December 2019 - 12:15 AM

Some people are talking up Chris Coleman or Pam Madoff making a return. The former I think is unlikely (To busy with personal and professional commitments, plus if he didn't like serving with one Ben imagine serving with 3 to 4) but the later I have no idea. She seems to be keeping her name and presence out there so it wouldn't totally surprise me.

Hate to say it, but Ms. Madoff's time had rather come and gone long before she was voted out.  I don't want to see her back in.

Coleman I could maybe get behind if he ran.  Can't say I've heard of any of the others except for one of the outer-fringe TV-ers whose name I recognize as belonging to a bit of a nutballer.

• Nparker likes this

#313 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:08 AM

Steven Andrew would be such a breath of fresh air on council.

I think that the only way Stephen gets involved is if he gets proper funding and support to run a meaningful campaign. 

The delays in setting the election date will be a boost to TV. They will elect their candidate in early January and then have about a month to spend as much money as they want on advertising and promotion before the spending limits kick in 28 days before the election. It is going to be hard for anyone else to compete unless they have similar backing.

I don't see Catherine or anyone else in business taking a run at council now. They will all wait to see if Helps honours her pledge to step down and then go for her seat.

#314 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:57 AM

I think either Coleman, Madoff or Andrew would be open to running again but like you mention, things would have to happen, including a groundswell of support and a clear path to victory.

Pam and Coleman won't compete together. Coleman is the least likely to run. He is keeping busy with volunteer work, mainly his church. But community service is in his blood and he could be tempted. Pam wants to but doesn't want to lose again. Neither does Stephen Andrew, especially with his own money.  Losing is emotionally hard and it takes a toll on you. 

Andrew is running a new idea-based Facebook page and Pam of course, is heading up the Heritage panel so both are keeping their feet wet in city affairs. But all three are a longshot in my opinion.

#315 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:04 AM

Problem with being out for four years is you're no longer the big cheese. A lot of newer staff won't even know who you are. All your plum assignments were given out to other councillors. Coleman loved travelling around the country to the UCM meetings and wheeling and dealing. He wouldn't necessarily be able to do that gig again. You're just another junior councillor. Pam would have to fight established councillors to get her treasured heritage and planning chairs back.

#316 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:22 AM

After 25 years on council Pam Madoff had been around nearly as long as some of the heritage she fought to preserve. She was the definition of a career politician and her time had come.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#317 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:41 AM

After 25 years on council Pam Madoff had been around nearly as long as some of the heritage she fought to preserve. She was the definition of a career politician and her time had come.

Geoff Young has been on council longer then her

#318 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:48 AM

Geoff Young has been on council longer then her

He also had a 6 year break (1999-2005). I am willing to give him a bit of slack since he is the last semi-sane voice on council.

#319 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:49 AM

He also had a 6 year break (1999-2005). I am willing to give him a bit of slack since he is the last semi-sane voice on council.

Which is why length of time on council is not really relevant.   I doubt that Pam Madoff is any better or worse now than when she was first elected.

• John M. likes this

#320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:00 AM

Which is why length of time on council is not really relevant.   I doubt that Pam Madoff is any better or worse now than when she was first elected.

I can't argue with the latter, but I strongly believe there should be term limits on council positions, especially now that the terms are 4 years in length.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users