Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#921 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:30 PM

They could just take the next person on the list from the last election, Stephen Andrew!

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#922 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 04:51 PM

I'm told all the byelection debates have been cancelled, even though the one scheduled for tonight is still listed on the City's website: https://www.victoria...byelection.html

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 18 March 2020 - 04:59 PM.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#923 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:37 PM

They could just take the next person on the list from the last election, Stephen Andrew!

in this case that might not be a bad idea....but imagine there were 20 candidates running and the top 8 all got between 8-10000 votes but nos. 9 and lower achieved at most 2000 votes because the electorate felt they were unsuitable

would you still want to pick candidate #9...i think not

this is why you have by-election...the runners-up may not always be a suitable choice

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#924 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

I wanted to implement that idea back in 2010 for blatantly selfish reasons!

• rmpeers likes this

#925 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

...this is why you have by-election...the runners-up may not always be a suitable choice

You say that as though the majority of councillors who were elected in October 2018 have proven themselves to be stellar.

#926 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

The CoV by-election (along with three other municipal by-elections) has formally been postponed by the Province.

https://news.gov.bc....0MAH0044-000520

Edited by shoeflack, 18 March 2020 - 06:59 PM.

#927 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:45 PM

Amazing timing - the day after voting information flyers were delivered to thousands of households across the CoV. Thanks again Laurel for costing taxpayers a bundle.  :mad:

• Mike K., NotHudsonMack and Victoria Watcher like this

#928 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:53 PM

You say that as though the majority of councillors who were elected in October 2018 have proven themselves to be stellar.

...this council is the exception that proves the rule  :o ...

#929 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:31 AM

I disagree. Not only is there no mechanism for that to occur, It would not be appropriate for anyone in that position. The issues in Victoria changed drastically since the 2018 vote and the electorate must have its say.

And politically, if you think about it, there would be a backlash of “they’re not a legitimate councillor” cross to carry. No one wants that.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but no thanks 😊
  • Bernard and Awaiting Juno like this

#930 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:46 AM

Information delayed.

All candidates in this Byelection probably feel, as I do, the actions of the City and the Province have been slow and communication is incomplete.

Public health safety is the priority. Why it took the powers that be so long to make the decision to postpone astounds me.

Now the province confirms it granted the postponement, there are few details on what this means.

Do we take signs down? Do we get adjusted financial restrictions to account for a new date? Does the new date come from the Chief Electoral Officer or Council? (I have an issue if it’s the latter).

How will the city notify voters of the next date? will the city send another voting notice out in the mail? Though the election was postponed, why did the city stop sending out mail in ballots? What will happens to the votes that are already cast?

There are more questions than answers right now.

However we move forward, this electoral process is damaged. I believe wholeheartedly we should hold the vote at an appropriate time, but - and this is key - we must ensure there is no political interference. Clearly there are people on council that have a vested interest and they must remove themselves from any perception or real involvement in the Byelection.
  • Nparker, Bernard and Spy Black like this

#931 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:12 AM

Only six days ago we were still discussing the by-election as if it was going to go ahead and everything was normal.     The change in the world in the last eight day has been stunning

#932 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:27 AM

Only six days ago we were still discussing the by-election as if it was going to go ahead and everything was normal.     The change in the world in the last eight day has been stunning

I'm proud of us for how quickly we've reacted.  It's human to wish for the best; we are problem solvers of course.

But Canadians are better at acceptance than many (sleeping next to the elephant probably helps, lol) and we have a long, storied history of quietly rising to the occasion.  We'll have some hiccups, some unhealthy reaction and some big mistakes but ... I'm quite proud of us.

Last night I went outside and listened for the "hum" of the city and it was distinctly different.  

• Bernard likes this

#933 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

Rachel Montgomery has "suspended her campaign" on the basis that she "can't work and campaign at the same time".

She has apparently returned to nursing during this health crisis out of the goodness of her heart.

She's made it clear that she's not withdrawing - she's just suspending her campaign.

She got a heck of a lot of very positive press due to the fact that she made the public statement in as grand a way as possible.

The bit about not being able to work and campaign at the same time - is that some sort of municipal legislation, or is it just Montgomery saying she feels that she can't do both effectively?

I must admit, if it's the later, and even though she's getting nothing but congratulations and kudos on her Facebook page, it really does seem like she's pandering.

I'd be interested in knowing if she actually has gone back to nursing, or if the entire press package was intended more just to attempt to separate her from the rest of the candidates with some feel good PR?

I get that my question might be too brusk, extremely rude even - but I'm afraid that my natural suspicions in "sudden political shifts" like this always take the fore, and I assume something is being done for publicity or personal gain long before I would ever assume something was being done out of the goodness of somebody's heart.

Edited by Spy Black, 19 March 2020 - 07:32 AM.

#934 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:38 AM

If you are seriously running for office for council in the City of Victoria you need to be spending more than fulltime hours on it for at least six weeks.    You trying to meet in person as many of the 65,000 or so of the voters and that is a hard task.  Anyone still working fulltime and running for council is not putting in the effort they need to be a serious candidate.   

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#935 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:44 AM

Yeah, I get that.

Let me be blunt.

My point was to wonder whether she's actually going back to nursing, or just pandering for the PR.

One is worthy of kudos, the other is worthy of distain. 

But I'm not clear if there is any sort of municipally focused provincial legislation that prevents a candidate from working a job while they're campaigning, in which case she'd just be following the rules.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#936 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:52 AM

Yeah, I get that.

Let me be blunt.

My point was to wonder whether she's actually going back to nursing, or just pandering for the PR.

But I'm not clear if there is any sort of municipally focused provincial legislation that prevents a candidate from working a job while they're campaigning, in which case she'd just be following the rules.

There are no limits in law

#937 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, I get that.

Let me be blunt.

That would be a truly depraved thing to do. I would require a Nixonian level of deceit and cynicism. Everything I've seen so far about Montgomery suggests she is sincere and up front. No way this is any type of wacko plot. Nope.

Edited by Rob Randall, 19 March 2020 - 08:54 AM.

#938 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:11 AM

The by-election was not yet postponed when she made her statement.   She most likely did it because it was what she was a socially responsible thing to do at the moment and she could show community leadership.    She made no request to postpone, like Jeremy Caradonna, she said she would suspend her campaign because there was something more important to do.

• Brayvehart likes this

#939 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:35 AM

The by-election was not yet postponed when she made her statement.   She most likely did it because it was what she was a socially responsible thing to do at the moment and she could show community leadership.    She made no request to postpone, like Jeremy Caradonna, she said she would suspend her campaign because there was something more important to do.

postponing was the obvious thing to do last week - all anyone had to do was read anything from the CDC, Harvard Med, U of Toronto epidemiology, ask a mathematician.

#940 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

Rachel Montgomery has "suspended her campaign" on the basis that she "can't work and campaign at the same time".

She has apparently returned to nursing during this health crisis out of the goodness of her heart.

She's made it clear that she's not withdrawing - she's just suspending her campaign.

She got a heck of a lot of very positive press due to the fact that she made the public statement in as grand a way as possible.

The bit about not being able to work and campaign at the same time - is that some sort of municipal legislation, or is it just Montgomery saying she feels that she can't do both effectively?

I must admit, if it's the later, and even though she's getting nothing but congratulations and kudos on her Facebook page, it really does seem like she's pandering.

I'd be interested in knowing if she actually has gone back to nursing, or if the entire press package was intended more just to attempt to separate her from the rest of the candidates with some feel good PR?

I get that my question might be too brusk, extremely rude even - but I'm afraid that my natural suspicions in "sudden political shifts" like this always take the fore, and I assume something is being done for publicity or personal gain long before I would ever assume something was being done out of the goodness of somebody's heart.

If she's going to the frontlines - those are going to be very long days under very trying conditions.  I have no doubt that Rachel was well aware of that and I've got nothing but respect for the decision she's making to put the needs of people who might wind up needing healthcare in the weeks to come.  With respect to the homeless and tents - I don't think that'll be the ultimate solution, because I don't think it'll comply with what is needed in terms of social distancing and access to adequate facilities for hygiene.  I would not be surprised if a school or schools wound up being used for that person with additional manpower called to supervise the inhabitants.  I expect the rules we're all going to have to obey are going to be pretty strict - including the rules for the homeless.  Our Victoria is likely to be very different by the time we're through, and I imagine much of what we've argued over or debated in the past will be seen as being extremely petty and minor.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users