City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1141 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:30 AM

The time is not now, but when it is, I think an endorsement by Cynthia Diadyk would swing a lot of weight.  She is not a political presence, but she has mobilized the opposition to the BHP mess.  A lot of people who signed are very angry and my guess is that more than half of them are Victoria voters.  Many, I suspect, who never bothered to vote last time.

A careful recommendation for a candidate who represented the views of the signatories would, I think, yield a lot of votes.  It would also help winnow the field of candidates.

The candidate, in turn, would have to stand firmly on side and not gaslight us with blather about “inclusivity” and “challenges.”  (Take note, Stephen Andrew.)

Not likely to happen, and if it does happen, it might not be the endorsement that's needed at this time.  There's an even bet any such endorsement could just divide the electorate rather than unite it.  Further - the signatories of the petition were signing a petition to end camping in Beacon Hill Park - they weren't signing up to be on the mailing list of a political candidate.

That said - what Stephen Andrew needs to do is highlight the actions he's taken to end camping in Beacon Hill Park and the actions he'll continue to take to achieve that goal.  No other candidate has come out and done anything with respect to this issue, Stephen has.  He needs to continue to write about it, and he needs to continue getting his voice out there and demonstrate that he is the candidate people who have signed the petition are looking for.

• Nparker likes this

#1142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:32 AM

Stephen has the premier on his side now, and the NDP. All that needs to be said is “I agree with the premier of British Columbia, this was the wrong approach to take.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1143 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

Greenwood has rescheduled its by-election for October 10, 2020. The COV needs to follow suit immediately without delay.

I know this council doesn’t like petitions, but..... watch for it. 😉
  • Nparker, GaryRanson and rmpeers like this

#1144 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:25 AM

Boy I wish I lived in the CoV so I could vote for Stephen.

#1145 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

Boy I wish I lived in the CoV so I could vote for Stephen.

Keep in mind that would also mean Lisa Helps is your mayor.  :wacko:

• GaryRanson and rmpeers like this

#1146 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:04 PM

Not likely to happen, and if it does happen, it might not be the endorsement that's needed at this time.  There's an even bet any such endorsement could just divide the electorate rather than unite it.  Further - the signatories of the petition were signing a petition to end camping in Beacon Hill Park - they weren't signing up to be on the mailing list of a political candidate.

I have no idea whether Cynthia would endorse anyone.  I don’t know her and never heard of her before all this.  But if she chose to, I don’t see how it would it would divide the electorate any more than they already are.  The only division that would be worse is splitting the vote between several “anti camping” candidates.  An endorsement would at worst be neutral in that regard and at best would coalesce voters around one of them.

I seriously doubt that people who signed a petition to end camping in BHP would object to the founder of the petition endorsing a candidate who opposed camping in BHP.  It doesn’t imply some kind of permanent political mailing list.  She already sends out an occasional update.  An update closer to the election could simply recognize one candidate whose views correspond to those of the signatories.

#1147 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

I have no idea whether Cynthia would endorse anyone.  I don’t know her and never heard of her before all this.  But if she chose to, I don’t see how it would it would divide the electorate any more than they already are.  The only division that would be worse is splitting the vote between several “anti camping” candidates.  An endorsement would at worst be neutral in that regard and at best would coalesce voters around one of them.

I seriously doubt that people who signed a petition to end camping in BHP would object to the founder of the petition endorsing a candidate who opposed camping in BHP.  It doesn’t imply some kind of permanent political mailing list.  She already sends out an occasional update.  An update closer to the election could simply recognize one candidate whose views correspond to those of the signatories.

McGuigan and Geoghan split the anti-helps vote last time.  Ideally the non-TV like candidates would call each other up and have a conversation around who is the best of them to carry on with the by-election.  They'd then rally the resources behind just one of them, and then that person would run as hard as possible (with the support of the others) to get the seat at the council table - otherwise there's a very real chance Hardman is just going to be ordained to fill Collins' shoes, and Young will continue to be a lone voice of reason.  At least with some back up, Alto and TJ could likely be swayed - and we might have much better balance rather than bad ideas implemented by decree.  

• Nparker, GaryRanson and grantpalin like this

#1148 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:57 PM

McGuigan and Geoghan split the anti-helps vote last time.  Ideally the non-TV like candidates would call each other up and have a conversation around who is the best of them to carry on with the by-election.  They'd then rally the resources behind just one of them, and then that person would run as hard as possible (with the support of the others) to get the seat at the council table - otherwise there's a very real chance Hardman is just going to be ordained to fill Collins' shoes, and Young will continue to be a lone voice of reason.  At least with some back up, Alto and TJ could likely be swayed - and we might have much better balance rather than bad ideas implemented by decree.  

Yes, in the best of all possible worlds the prospective council candidates would proceed as you suggest.  I hope that will happen.

But if it doesn’t then the influence of a trusted third party, if you will, might help direct votes to just one of them.

And even if it does the additional publicity would benefit the the candidate.  Name recognition counts (far too much) and the petition list would be a powerful tool to introduce someone who many voters may not know.

#1149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

...McGuigan and Geoghan split the anti-Helps vote last time

Weren't any of Stephen Hammond's votes in 2018 anti-Helps? I know mine was.

2018 results:
Stephen HAMMOND: 8,717

Michael GEOGHEGAN:  4,335
Bruce McGUIGAN: 2,377

Collectively, they received considerably more votes (15,429) than Her Worseship (12,642)

https://www.victoria...aration2018.pdf

• rmpeers likes this

#1150 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:37 PM

Yes of course. Geoghan and the other were the vote splitters away from Hammond. I’m still convinced that Geoghan was paid to split the vote. His campaign made no sense, and he is a lobbyist. He goes where the money is.
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno, rmpeers and 2 others like this

#1151 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:59 PM

There is now a change.org petition calling for the byelection.

#1152 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

It’s hard to know how the split would have gone with Geoghegan out of the picture. Did some people vote for Helps not wanting Geoghegan to win?

Did McGuigan get votes because voters felt Helps would win, and they voted for who they liked best on the other side?

If Geoghegan had not made the accusation he did, would he have landed more votes? Less?

Far too many unknowns there, but had we only had two candidates vs Helps I feel the race would have been very, very close for Hammond.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1153 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:45 AM

It’s hard to know how the split would have gone with Geoghegan out of the picture. Did some people vote for Helps not wanting Geoghegan to win?

Did McGuigan get votes because voters felt Helps would win, and they voted for who they liked best on the other side?

If Geoghegan had not made the accusation he did, would he have landed more votes? Less?

Far too many unknowns there, but had we only had two candidates vs Helps I feel the race would have been very, very close for Hammond.

You can't assume that every vote (or even most) for others would have gone to Hammond. 

#1154 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:47 AM

There is now a change.org petition calling for the byelection.

What is needed is a petition asking for Helps to step down and allow a replacement to be chosen at the same time we are electing someone to fill Ms. Collins' tiny shoes. 

Even if every person in Victoria signed the petition Helps of course would not resign, but if there were 20,000 people asking her to then it would at least end any potential career she plans in politics and prevent us from going through this again with a higher level of Government.

#1155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:47 AM

I can’t assume every vote would have, but I can assume more than 50% would have based on his performance among the three candidates.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

You can't assume that every vote (or even most) for others would have gone to Hammond. 

But I think it's a pretty safe bet they would not have gone to Helps.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1157 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:22 AM

But I think it's a pretty safe bet they would not have gone to Helps.

I think it is safe to assume that at least some people who did not like Helps or Hammond would have stayed at home.

#1158 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:50 AM

From the Capital Daily this morning...

“ Victoria byelection slated to go ahead in fall
Province released new byelection guidelines on Wednesday
Following the release of provincial guidelines, Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps confirmed on Wednesday to CHEK that the City was reentering the election-planning process”

Edited by A Girl is No one, 30 July 2020 - 08:50 AM.

#1159 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

What is needed is a petition asking for Helps to step down and allow a replacement to be chosen at the same time we are electing someone to fill Ms. Collins' tiny shoes. 

Even if every person in Victoria signed the petition Helps of course would not resign, but if there were 20,000 people asking her to then it would at least end any potential career she plans in politics and prevent us from going through this again with a higher level of Government.

A petition calling on the non-resident councillors to step down might be more sensible.  Lisa lives in Victoria and as much as it pains me that she is mayor (because I think she is doing a lousy job), she was elected so unless there is some over-riding reason why she is not fit for that office (ie. the election was tampered with in unfair ways, she has acted in ways incompatible with her role, etc.) - we are stuck until the next election with her.  

• Nparker and FogPub like this

#1160 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

A petition calling on the non-resident councillors to step down might be more sensible.

Replace CTJ and Alto with more TV recruits? Are you willing to take that gamble?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users