Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1161 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:39 PM

Replace CTJ and Alto with more TV recruits? Are you willing to take that gamble?

Does it matter if there are 5 or 8 TV or TV-light councillors? They still control every vote.  :(

#1162 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:42 PM

If Geoghegan had not made the accusation he did, would he have landed more votes? Less?

Far too many unknowns there, but had we only had two candidates vs Helps I feel the race would have been very, very close for Hammond.

Hammond would have done better. Baseless slander from Big Mike got a lot of attention and 100% it hurt Hammond and his slate.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#1163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:23 PM

I think it did, too. It put him on the defensive even if it seems innocuous, the doubt was cast.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1164 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

Replace CTJ and Alto with more TV recruits? Are you willing to take that gamble?

Loveday and Dubow would also need to go.
CTJ and Alto have proven to be nothing but sicophants to the TV crew and Helps/Isitt in the last council so no loss there.

#1165 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

Loveday and Dubow would also need to go...

You've forgotten Sarah Potts - an easy thing to do as she has proven herself to be spectacularly unspectacular since her October 2018 election. Even for a TV member she's lacklustre.

• NotHudsonMack likes this

#1166 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

Maybe. They aren't adding a ton of value lately. Hopefully people are getting a better sense of what TV is about, because it sure isn't about bringing people together.
  • Nparker likes this

#1167 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:24 PM

Loveday and Dubow would also need to go.
CTJ and Alto have proven to be nothing but sicophants to the TV crew and Helps/Isitt in the last council so no loss there.

But if Loveday goes, who will stand up for the skateboarders? And if Dubow goes, then... well, still think of the oppressed skateboarders.

#1168 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:36 PM

A petition calling on the non-resident councillors to step down might be more sensible. Lisa lives in Victoria and as much as it pains me that she is mayor (because I think she is doing a lousy job), she was elected so unless there is some over-riding reason why she is not fit for that office (ie. the election was tampered with in unfair ways, she has acted in ways incompatible with her role, etc.) - we are stuck until the next election with her.

I am not suggesting that she step down, just a show of force as to how unpopular she is so that there no doubt.
  • rmpeers likes this

#1169 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:47 PM

TV needs to be probed to outline it's goals.  Is it just a hack for the "just out of High School" crowd supporting a decades long UVIC experiment gone bad?

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#1170 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:25 AM

Hammond would have done better. Baseless slander from Big Mike got a lot of attention and 100% it hurt Hammond and his slate.

If everyone else had dropped off the ballot leaving only a choice between Helps and Geoghegan I'd have voted for Helps - which should about tell you what I think of Ol' Mikey...

• Hotel Mike, NotHudsonMack, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#1171 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:42 PM

We need adults at the table who can promote good governance and work with those in the community to move the city forward.  This group of people need to take some cues from TV and have a clear set of goals and objectives with things that they plan to achieve.  Ideally, this would also help market the group to the electorate.  I sense a good chunk of those unaware of what Together Victoria was really about were well intentioned people who didn't want to just "vote against Helps".  I think many didn't know how strong the link was between Ben Isitt and Together Victoria - and really didn't know enough about who they were voting for.  They knew and liked the "brand" and voted accordingly.  It was marketing - meanwhile, New Council seemed to take much of it's marketing cues from "no name" brand and as a result failed to sway some low information voters.  They got painted as "angry people who weren't "progressive"" and then had the vote split.  

With respect to this byelection - I think we need to hear more from those intending to run, if they still intend on running.  So far, Stephen Andrew has a lead in that regard.  I've heard crickets from the others.

#1172 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:27 PM

We need adults at the table who can promote good governance and work with those in the community to move the city forward.  This group of people need to take some cues from TV and have a clear set of goals and objectives with things that they plan to achieve.  Ideally, this would also help market the group to the electorate.  I sense a good chunk of those unaware of what Together Victoria was really about were well intentioned people who didn't want to just "vote against Helps".  I think many didn't know how strong the link was between Ben Isitt and Together Victoria - and really didn't know enough about who they were voting for.  They knew and liked the "brand" and voted accordingly.  It was marketing - meanwhile, New Council seemed to take much of it's marketing cues from "no name" brand and as a result failed to sway some low information voters.  They got painted as "angry people who weren't "progressive"" and then had the vote split.  

With respect to this byelection - I think we need to hear more from those intending to run, if they still intend on running.  So far, Stephen Andrew has a lead in that regard.  I've heard crickets from the others.

A common complaint with New Council's campaign was that they weren't able to dedicate as much time hitting the pavement as the TV slate. To which many retorted "why of course, who could compete with student-activists?". 

Boots on the ground also sways people who are normally uninterested or disengaged, so that can't go ignored. 

#1173 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:10 PM

If everyone else had dropped off the ballot leaving only a choice between Helps and Geoghegan I'd have voted for Helps - which should about tell you what I think of Ol' Mikey...

And how much do we want to bet that big mike was running as a distraction?
  • Daveyboy, mbjj, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#1174 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:46 AM

I do kind of wish that the clear non-TV candidates would convene a meeting amongst themselves to consolidate resources with a couple of them bowing out to the one who they feel has the best odds of actually being elected to the empty seat.  Maybe there could be a neutral ground poll taken with their names and whoever gets the most votes in that poll is selected as the runner?  I really worry that a consolidated TV candidate versus a diluted range of candidates is going to mean we'll get more of the same at the council table.

• Stephen Andrew and rmpeers like this

#1175 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

The problem is, nobody would be willing to make that sacrifice. And polling is expensive. No candidate in their right mind would spend money on a poll for the purpose of knocking themselves out of the race. No one that's come this far is giving up.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1176 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:41 AM

Hopefully Mike Geoghegan won't magically surface as a council candidate. :)
  • Stephen Andrew likes this

#1177 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:20 AM

Hopefully Mike Geoghegan won't magically surface as a council candidate. :)

I guess that depends on how much Together Victoria pays him to run.

• NotHudsonMack, Daveyboy, mbjj and 2 others like this

#1178 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:27 AM

I guess that depends on how much Together Victoria pays him to run.

Ouch. I think you win the day for the best burn. Lol
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic, NotHudsonMack and 2 others like this

#1179 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:53 AM

I do kind of wish that the clear non-TV candidates would convene a meeting amongst themselves to consolidate resources with a couple of them bowing out to the one who they feel has the best odds of actually being elected to the empty seat.

I am glad to see that the 2018 New Council candidates aren't all running against eachother. Maybe such a meeting did take place? Early on I thought for sure Marg Gardner and Andrew Reeve would run in this byelection.

Rachel Montgomery and Jeremy Caradonna are the only other real contenders aside from Stephen Andrews and Caradonna doesn't have what it takes to cross the finish line, still unsure about Montgomery. But looking at her platform and campaign style Montgomery looks like she'd steal more votes from TV than Stephen.

#1180 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:02 AM

So, of the batch of candidates who officially declared earlier this year, who do you think will decline to run?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users