City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:29 PM

Montgomery may be persuaded not to run as that would indeed impact TV’s Hardman.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1182 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:57 PM

Montgomery may be persuaded not to run as that would indeed impact TV’s Hardman.

I think TV's voting block is pretty solid, wouldn't she draw more votes away from Stephen Andrew than TV?

#1183 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

A very good reason why council meetings should be webcast and recorded is that many items are missed by the MSM and not included in the minutes.

Case in point the notice by staff today at the CoV COTW meeting that the Victoria bi-election is going to cost more than expected - up to $250K more!

https://pub-victoria...Tab=attachments

2:11:00

#1184 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:25 AM

So previously the bi-election was estimated to cost up to $170K. Now it is estimated to cost up to $420K. 

Thinking about it I wonder if the $420K isn't just made up by the Mayor and staff to use as an excuse for not having a bi-election. No doubt the Mayor is very happy having the balance of power back.

• GaryRanson likes this

#1185 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:27 AM

is there any itemized rationale for the extra money for the by-election?

#1186 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:29 AM

is there any itemized rationale for the extra money for the by-election?

I didn't hear it last night. The finance head mentioned it and that was it unless it was discussed later in the meeting and I missed it.

Maybe setting up polling stations at Beacon Hill, Centennial Sq and the other tent cities cost a lot more than expected.

• Nparker, mbjj, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#1187 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:33 AM

The City nixed the bridge art installation when the budget crept up by $200,000.

This $250k increase sounds very familiar.

Maybe, just maybe, had the City not wasted heaps of money on “hey! Help us spend some extra cash, Victoria!” campaigns the added costs wouldn’t be an issue.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1188 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:52 AM

The other point Ms. Thompson made last night was that 2021 was going to be very bleak from a financial perspective. She said that BC Assessment was anticipating a very large number of commercial property tax appeals next year and that current new property tax revenue was only at 5% of where it was last year. 

My comment then is that even if parking revenue improves in 2021, the City will still likely face a very large deficit which they will most likely try and defer and tap into reserves again to cover.

#1189 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:03 AM

So previously the bi-election was estimated to cost up to $170K. Now it is estimated to cost up to $420K.

Thinking about it I wonder if the $420K isn't just made up by the Mayor and staff to use as an excuse for not having a bi-election. No doubt the Mayor is very happy having the balance of power back.

420k? Dear god. Well at least if someone asks what Laurel Collins' legacy as a councilor was, we have something significant to point to.
  • Nparker, GaryRanson, NotHudsonMack and 2 others like this

#1190 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:09 AM

420k? Dear god. Well at least if someone asks what Laurel Collins' legacy as a councilor was, we have something significant to point to.

How about her stellar work as an MP?  :lol:

• rmpeers likes this

#1191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:16 AM

Ms. Collins latest tweet is about invisible plastic pollution, aka #microplastics.

Victoria City Hall got shot up, and there was a second pellet gun incident in the square yesterday. But #microplastics.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

#1192 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:18 AM

Ms. Collins latest tweet is about invisible plastic pollution...

Invisible pollution is emitted every time a member of the CoV council speaks.

• GaryRanson, grantpalin, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#1193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:43 PM

Stephen, this is your turf.

BREAKING: 🚔VicPD seeking suspect who assaulted senior in Burnside-Gorge; witnesses asked to come forward🚔

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers are looking for witnesses and asking you if you recognize the suspect in a random assault in Burnside Gorge’s Cecila Ravine yesterday.

Shortly before 2 p.m., Patrol officers were dispatched for a report that a 64-year-old woman was assaulted while taking a photograph of a dog.

The victim reported to officers that that she was working in the gardens at the community centre when she spotted a black Labrador sitting alone by the ravine. Concerned for the dog’s safety and wondering if it was lost, she approached the dog and used her phone to capture images of it. While the woman was taking photographs, she was suddenly assaulted from behind by a man. She reported that the man pushed her to the ground and then took her phone and threw it into the ravine. The victim sought safety in the nearby community centre and called police. She received non-life-threatening injuries in the incident, but declined medical attention. The man left the area accompanied by a woman and the dog.

The suspect is described as:
🔹Caucasian male in his early twenties
🔹 five feet, six inches tall
🔹slim build
🔹wearing a football jersey with the number 44 on the back, and a baseball hat and shorts 🔹accompanied by a woman described as riding an orange bicycle, with 🔹pink hair🔹 and a crop top.

The victim reported that the man and woman moved to a nearby tent, which they quickly packed up before fleeing the area prior to police arrival.

A Patrol officer helped the victim search for her phone in the ravine. Unfortunately, the phone was discovered damaged beyond repair.

If you recognize this suspect, or have information about this incident, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654 ext 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.

#1194 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:06 PM

Ms. Collins latest tweet is about invisible plastic pollution, aka #microplastics.

Victoria City Hall got shot up, and there was a second pellet gun incident in the square yesterday. But #microplastics.

Whoa there, vitriol alert. But yeah, the way they all wilfully ignore the most pressing issues is maddening. But maybe that is the whole point. Upset people and then demonize them for getting upset.

#1195 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

Stephen, this is your turf.

BREAKING: VicPD seeking suspect who assaulted senior in Burnside-Gorge; witnesses asked to come forward

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers are looking for witnesses and asking you if you recognize the suspect in a random assault in Burnside Gorge’s Cecila Ravine yesterday.

Shortly before 2 p.m., Patrol officers were dispatched for a report that a 64-year-old woman was assaulted while taking a photograph of a dog.

The victim reported to officers that that she was working in the gardens at the community centre when she spotted a black Labrador sitting alone by the ravine. Concerned for the dog’s safety and wondering if it was lost, she approached the dog and used her phone to capture images of it. While the woman was taking photographs, she was suddenly assaulted from behind by a man. She reported that the man pushed her to the ground and then took her phone and threw it into the ravine. The victim sought safety in the nearby community centre and called police. She received non-life-threatening injuries in the incident, but declined medical attention. The man left the area accompanied by a woman and the dog.

The suspect is described as:
Caucasian male in his early twenties
five feet, six inches tall
slim build
wearing a football jersey with the number 44 on the back, and a baseball hat and shorts accompanied by a woman described as riding an orange bicycle, with pink hair and a crop top.

The victim reported that the man and woman moved to a nearby tent, which they quickly packed up before fleeing the area prior to police arrival.

A Patrol officer helped the victim search for her phone in the ravine. Unfortunately, the phone was discovered damaged beyond repair.

If you recognize this suspect, or have information about this incident, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654 ext 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Anyone for a pickup baseball game? Bring your bat.

Seriously though, the Mayor warned folks about taking pictures. It was her own fault.

Edited by spanky123, 07 August 2020 - 03:39 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#1196 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:58 PM

Seriously though, the Mayor warned folks about taking pictures. It was her own fault.

I was in Vancouver for a medical appointment a number of years ago - my husband and I were walking from our hotel to the doctors office. We had no idea where we were going so my husband pulled up the map on his phone. There was a group of people with sleeping blankets in a doorway - this one individual was clearly a drug addict and he started following us.. very closely. Like inches. And I nudged my husband to look and said “hey, can I help you?” To the guy. Who then accused us of taking pictures. The guy was probably 5’3 and 100 pounds soaking wet - but he was terrifying and extremely aggressive. My husband calmly explained to him that we were using a map & were not taking pictures. He continued to follow inches away from us for blocks - calling us down, making threats, demanding to see our phone, etc. My husband is 250 pounds and could crush this guys skull with one hand but he knew he was sick and he didn’t want to hurt him. I finally asked a hotel bellman to call the police as I passed by. It was truly unbelievable and an experience I’ll never forget
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#1197 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:22 PM

I’ve had my own personal experience and I can vouch that it’s very scary and deeply disturbing. When I think about my life experience (it was years ago) I still shudder.

#1198 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:25 PM

but she wasn't taking pictures of the tents or the camps or the campers... she was taking a picture of a dog (most likely without tags, collar or a license who she thought was lost probably to post on a lost pet group like fled)

#1199 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:29 PM

Good thing then that the pellet was steel.  if it was plastic, the shooter would have been hunted down for crimes against the environment.  

• rmpeers likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1200 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

it almost feels like they are using this overly bloated price for the bi-election as a excuse to hold it off...  as if this huge bill will scare people off from wanting the election so they can continue status quo...ofcourse they want to get people riled up about "wasteful spending during a pandemic" while they just created 2 more 100k job positions (saying they were saving money cutting it down from the 5 they originally wanted to higher)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users