Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1381 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:35 PM

Does the fact that someone is raising this mean its still a possibility?

It would be good though, if it meant we got a decent mayor. However, whoever plans to run the campaign to get a TV mayor in there will need to activate Geoghegan or somebody as a vote splitter.

All that I am hearing is that there is a candidate for the riding who has been chosen and that an election call is imminent. Only question is whether Horgan forces Weaver to defeat them or he just goes ahead with the call himself. Apparently there is fear of a significant second wave and they want the election over by the time it hits full force.

#1382 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:37 PM

There are two possibilities. Provincial NDP or federal Green. Or Green for both.

Having James’ daughter in her office is no doubt an opportunity to learn the provincial business and to have access to the Minister indirectly or even directly. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but who wouldn’t talk business if they had the child of a key political player as a subordinate?

How much would James' daughter know about Provincial politics, she has been a professional student? How much do most kids know about the details of their parents work for that matter. 

If you recall, James' daughter was the only person interviewed for the role. The optics are clearly quid pro quo.

• Love the rock likes this

#1383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:42 PM

I still don't see John Horgan being keen on having Lisa Helps in his caucus.

• John M. and Awaiting Juno like this

#1384 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 03:27 PM

I still don't see John Horgan being keen on having Lisa Helps in his caucus.

If she wins the local nomination race it would be hard for Horgan to then veto her.

#1385 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 03:38 PM

If she wins the local nomination race it would be hard for Horgan to then veto her.

I realize that, but I don't see cabinet position in her future.

#1386 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:28 PM

I'm pretty sure the NDP wouldn't touch Helps with a ten foot pole. Horgan has been openly critical of Victoria city council and Helps' decisions even though Helps has not been critical in return. Horgan is a moderate and I can't see him wanting to micro manage an outspoken MLA, not to mention they would be more likely to lose votes vs gain votes with Helps.
  • John M. and Awaiting Juno like this

#1387 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:43 PM

I doubt that anyone would be voting for an individual MLA. They are choosing between Horgan and Wilkinson.

Normally, of course. But Helps could very well cause ndp supporters not to vote for their party.

#1388 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:19 PM

CBC Municipal Affairs reporter:

can you imagine the pure chaos if an election was called and lisa helps resigned as victoria’s mayor to run for the ndp in carole james’ riding

to be clear i have no evidence this could happen

but still, THE CHAOS

Lisa Helps would 100% not be welcome in the BC NDP

• rmpeers likes this

#1389 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:21 PM

I’m pretty sure helps’ political career is over after this run. Anyone who voted for her (that I spoke to anyway) did so because she was thought of as the only “progressive” candidate. Otherwise, they didn’t care for her

#1390 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:29 PM

Perhaps that's the inherent danger of voting for anyone simply for the sake of being "progressive".

Edited by Nparker, 10 September 2020 - 06:22 PM.

• newbie_01 likes this

#1391 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:05 PM

Perhaps that's the inherent danger of voting for anyone simple for the sake of being "progressive".

That word.... it does not mean what they think...
🤓
  • pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#1392 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:41 PM

Lisa Helps would 100% not be welcome in the BC NDP

Unless there is a movement within the youth wing for a more progressive slant like we are seeing in the US with the "Squad". I can easily see 10K UVIC, homeless, activist voters getting out to push their agenda and have Helps press for changes to the party platform.

#1393 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:48 PM

Unless there is a movement within the youth wing for a more progressive slant like we are seeing in the US with the "Squad". I can easily see 10K UVIC, homeless, activist voters getting out to push their agenda and have Helps press for changes to the party platform.

She seems more Green and recently endorsed Furstenau for leader, I think (with friends like that, etc). But she does seem like an opportunist and deliberately noncommittal re party affiliation.
  • Nparker, John M. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1394 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:51 PM

She seems more Green and recently endorsed Furstenau for leader, I think (with friends like that, etc). But she does seem like an opportunist and deliberately noncommittal re party affiliation.

I am sure that if she thought that the Greens would hold the balance of power again she would jump in. The Green are more likely to be wiped out however.

There is definitely a movement within the NDP to try and move the party much further left. Horgan has lots of reasons to want and set himself up for another 4 years as soon as he can.

#1395 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:27 PM

Right, like what has become of the federal NDP.

The goal ultimately on the left of the spectrum is not to be entrenched in any one party but to push through pro rep and have multiple latitudes of left wing politics on the table, and to control more than 50% of the seats among them.

That’s essentially what the federal Liberals, the Greens and the NDP are now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1396 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:40 PM

Lisa is much more pro-business than the mainstream of the BC NDP, never mind the youth wing. 

#1397 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:57 AM

If 1 or more councilors run provincially, and doesn't have to give up their seat unless they win, then if there's a fall provincial election, Victoria's byelection couldn't take place until after that, presumably.

Which seems like a waste because surely, logistically, it would be cheaper to have people here cast their byelection votes when they go to vote provincially. Would also presumably encourage higher turnout all around.

#1398 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

^I don't think having simultaneous votes is legally possible or practical.

#1399 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:13 AM

If 1 or more councilors run provincially, and doesn't have to give up their seat unless they win, then if there's a fall provincial election, Victoria's byelection couldn't take place until after that, presumably.

Which seems like a waste because surely, logistically, it would be cheaper to have people here cast their byelection votes when they go to vote provincially. Would also presumably encourage higher turnout all around.

Won't work as Provincial ridings don't align with municipal borders in most cases.

I think what most of us are waiting for an perhaps why it is taking so long for staff to report on is how the price-tag for the b-election has gone from $170K to $420K.

Edited by spanky123, 12 September 2020 - 10:14 AM.

• rmpeers likes this

#1400 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:19 AM

presumably they want to hire lots more workers.

not sure why they can't just use regular city staffers already on payroll.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)