2544 replies to this topic

#1461 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:18 PM

Population of Surrey = 617,000; 316.4 km²

Population of Victoria = 95,000; 19.47 km²

Yeah, we're just like Surrey. :whyme:

How does Victoria rank compared to those other municipalities they are talking about.  Just population-wise is the distinction close?

#1462 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:30 PM

Victoria is nothing like Surrey. It's a terrible analogy for the CoV to make.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1463 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:46 PM

Victoria is nothing like Surrey. It's a terrible analogy for the CoV to make.

Oh I know that but the other municipalities who are having elections, how are they compared to Victoria?

#1464 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:57 PM

...the other municipalities who are having elections, how are they compared to Victoria?

I wasn't able to find relevant and recent population figures. Regardless, the CoV was prepared to hold a by-election in April and somehow now they can't figure out how to hold one until 2021.

#1465 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:31 PM

Oh I know that but the other municipalities who are having elections, how are they compared to Victoria?

I’m trying to find out how many bureaucrats per capita they have.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1466 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:41 AM

I’m trying to find out how many bureaucrats per capita they have.

Is there a list, I thought I saw them but they are very small places I think population-wise.  I have no idea what size of council they would have but it would be around 5 I would think.  4 Councillors and 1 mayor?  Would a municipality have less?

#1467 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:37 AM

I’m not referring to council, but staff at city hall who can lend a hand during the by-election.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1468 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:29 AM

Any more word re CoV councillors seeking provincial nominations? Presumably the window of opportunity is closing soon.

#1469 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

I would say that nobody on council will be running for the NDP or Greens in Victoria-Beacon hill now that TV has aligned behind Papik and the 'core' NDP behind Lore. I think the battle for progressive representation will be in that riding between those two. Other ridings already have a strong NDP incumbent.

I think that the Mayor and council blew their chance for an MLA job with their handling of the homeless file. 

• Nparker likes this

#1470 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:29 AM

I’m not referring to council, but staff at city hall who can lend a hand during the by-election.

Typically that would be the Legislative Services department at the municipality. In Victoria, Chris Coates is the City Clerk and is usually tapped to be the Chief Elections Officer.

Election time is always hectic because a number of the Legislative Services staff shift to temporary positions running the election, and there has to be enough staff to backfill their roles to keep all of the other processes running. Legislative Services typically handles all of the public hearing notices, publication of agendas, routing of bylaws for signatures, etc.

• Mike K. likes this

#1471 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:32 PM

Typically that would be the Legislative Services department at the municipality. In Victoria, Chris Coates is the City Clerk and is usually tapped to be the Chief Elections Officer.

Election time is always hectic because a number of the Legislative Services staff shift to temporary positions running the election, and there has to be enough staff to backfill their roles to keep all of the other processes running. Legislative Services typically handles all of the public hearing notices, publication of agendas, routing of bylaws for signatures, etc.

Good thing the CoV hired 24 people so far this year.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1472 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:38 PM

Apparently the NDP nomination for Victoria-Beacon Hill is tonight. That didn't take long.

#1473 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:43 PM

Caught a clip on CFAX last night from Mayor Helps saying that they were going to meet with Provincial staff after the October 24th election to discuss lessons learned and then start to plan for our own election.

#1474 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:50 PM

Stupid question - why can't they be combined?  CoV residents get a municipal ballot with their provincial ballot? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1475 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:53 PM

Stupid question - why can't they be combined?  CoV residents get a municipal ballot with their provincial ballot? 

1. Ridings are different.

2. CoV in no rush to have an election.

#1476 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:59 PM

So it looks like the by-election will be delayed the better part of one year due to the incredible complexity of planning required. 

I will remind you that's still more time than the time elapsed for the Apollo 9, Apollo 10, Apollo 11, and Apollo 12 manned moon missions of 1969. And I am certain those also likely involved a fair degree of complex planning.

• GaryRanson, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#1477 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

So it looks like the by-election will be delayed the better part of one year due to the incredible complexity of planning required.

I will remind you that's still more time than the time elapsed for the Apollo 9, Apollo 10, Apollo 11, and Apollo 12 manned moon missions of 1969. And I am certain those also likely involved a fair degree of complex planning.

Yes, it is very complex and completely unrelated to the fact that they know voters are tired of them and inclined to elect a councilor who represents a more logical, thoughtful approach.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1478 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,993 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:40 PM

if we can send isitt and helps to the moon i'm willing to wait.

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 3 others like this

#1479 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:49 PM

If Ben could wear a cosmonaut suit and go up in a Soyuz rocket. That would be a bucket list item for him.

• GaryRanson and rmpeers like this

#1480 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

If Ben could wear a cosmonaut suit and go up in a Soyuz rocket. That would be a bucket list item for him.

Is there a GoFundMe for this? Please send the link.
  • GaryRanson likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users