Photo

City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#1481 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:32 PM

So staff now say that the bi-election can be held in December (I guess they don't need to talk with Provincial staff after the Provincial election after all). Thing is it will cost an extra $100K on the of the extra $250K they said it would cost a few months ago. So basically $520K now to run what would normally be a $170K bi-election. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=58945

#1482 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:43 PM

Yikes..

What changes would be required by what level of government to simply have the ninth place finisher replace whoever moves on for whatever reason? Hopefully everytime the cost goes up some media folks are will ask her for a public comment. Has she even apologized?
  • Rob Randall, Nparker, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#1483 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:40 PM

Yikes..

What changes would be required by what level of government to simply have the ninth place finisher replace whoever moves on for whatever reason? Hopefully everytime the cost goes up some media folks are will ask her for a public comment. Has she even apologized?

My completely unbiased opinion is that I heartily endorse the ninth place promotion plan, especially if it is made retroactive to the previous decade. But I have never heard of it being implemented and doubt it is legal in any jurisdiction. But yeah, a half-million dollar (and counting) price tag is a cloak of guilt Collins will shoulder for a long time.

#1484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,794 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:42 PM

So staff now say that the bi-election can be held in December (I guess they don't need to talk with Provincial staff after the Provincial election after all). Thing is it will cost an extra $100K on the of the extra $250K they said it would cost a few months ago. So basically $520K now to run what would normally be a $170K bi-election. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=58945

based on the 2018 turn-out that will cost $17.50 per vote to hold this by-election.

• Nparker likes this

#1485 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:53 PM

Let's make it legal, I assume that would require provincial legislation? I mean stranger things* have been made legal lately.

*Not the Netflix series.

Yah. That ninth place dude could have gone on to stardom. Maybe even Mayordom. Or at least a younger, hipper Geoff Young.

#1486 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:11 PM

My completely unbiased opinion is that I heartily endorse the ninth place promotion plan, especially if it is made retroactive to the previous decade. But I have never heard of it being implemented and doubt it is legal in any jurisdiction. But yeah, a half-million dollar (and counting) price tag is a cloak of guilt Collins will shoulder for a long time.

some jurisdictions , ontario for one, give local councils a choice between appointing (not necessarily the 9th place person) or holding a by-election

i know a guy who was appointed for his first term of office back east as he was the 9th place vote getter ;-)

the choice is necessary because in many circumstances the vote breakdown leaves the 9th place vote-getter so far out of the running that it would appear not many electors really want them in office - so automatic appointment is not the sole option, nor should it be

• lanforod likes this

#1487 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:45 PM

Interesting.

Given the outrageous costs involved we really ought to rethink the while by-election scenario. It seems fair to give the runner-up the chance to accept, and if not then person after, and so on.
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1488 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:24 PM

Interesting.

Given the outrageous costs involved we really ought to rethink the while by-election scenario. It seems fair to give the runner-up the chance to accept, and if not then person after, and so on.

perhaps just let them operate short handed for a while...hockey teams do it when one of the bad boys pounds that weasel into the boards maybe a bit too roughly....he deserved it, though!

i mean how much worse will this bunch be with 7 - 1 votes instead of 8 - 1 ?!

• m3m and Teardrop like this

#1489 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:02 PM

...i mean how much worse will this bunch be with 7 - 1 votes instead of 8 - 1 ?!

I suppose some of us hold out a faint hope that the filled vacancy on council could allow for some 7-2 votes. You're right of course, nothing will improve significantly either way.

#1490 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:17 PM

I suppose some of us hold out a faint hope that the filled vacancy on council could allow for some 7-2 votes. You're right of course, nothing will improve significantly either way.

agreed ...if the right person gets in 7-2 is an improvement - and has two additonal benefits

they might be able to shine a light on the goings on at city hall AND they will garner much needed exposure ahead of the next general election for a run at the seat again...or, dare to hope, the mayor's chair

• rmpeers likes this

#1491 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:55 PM

approve another $350,000 from the city’s financial stability reserve fund

I call BS.  This the cost is politics so others will buy into it.  

What next, ask the city family for permission?

The real reason is that voting booths Our Place and UVIC are not guaranteed.  

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1492 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

So staff now say that the bi-election can be held in December (I guess they don't need to talk with Provincial staff after the Provincial election after all). Thing is it will cost an extra $100K on the of the extra $250K they said it would cost a few months ago. So basically $520K now to run what would normally be a $170K bi-election. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=58945

How does it end up costing more than the whole 2018 election?

#1493 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

COVID covers a multitude of sins. 

#1494 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:43 AM

PPE. Also, staff wanted to have the 2018 election.

The City Clerk is being made to look like a fool. At first there was no way we could have a bi-election before March and now December is fine.

Edited by spanky123, 29 September 2020 - 11:44 AM.

• rmpeers likes this

#1495 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

.... But yeah, a half-million dollar (and counting) price tag is a cloak of guilt Collins will shoulder for a long time.

True enough as far as it goes, but most of the blame accrues to the idiot voters of Victoria who elected the shabby opportunist a second time.  Fool me once, etc.

• Nparker likes this

#1496 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:02 PM

I call BS.  This the cost is politics so others will buy into it.  

What next, ask the city family for permission?

The real reason is that voting booths Our Place and UVIC are not guaranteed.  

Why do people continue to fixate on Our Place and UVic? There were a total of 1040 ballots cast between those two locations, only 3.5% of the total ballots, and having the lowest number of ballots of any polling station.

• John M. and Brayvehart like this

#1497 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

Camosun college had a booth too

#1498 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:11 PM

Because the poverty industry drives votes and ‘UVic activist bad’line is a fan favourite around here.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#1499 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:33 PM

Of those 1040 ballots:

General results | UVic/etc aka Additional Advance Voting

Helps: 42.46% | 56.92%

Collins: 5.40% | 6.78%

Dubow: 4.46% | 5.73%

Isitt: 5.98% | 6.90%

Loveday: 5.57% | 6.60%

Potts: 5.04% | 6.62%

Andrew: 3.83% | 2.62%

Councillor #8, Alto, won with a total of 4.3% of votes, a difference of 345 votes from #7, Dubow, who received 477 votes via "additional advance voting."

You can see why those polling stations are strategically important.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1500 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

Why don't they just make it a complete mail in ballot system?

Do they even pay for postage?

• rmpeers likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users