City of Victoria | 2020 by-election

• Please log in to reply
2544 replies to this topic

#2501 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 December 2020 - 01:09 PM

Infrastructure.  A slate brings an infrastructure with it - for campaigning, for communicating your ideas with the people you'd like to connect with, for getting signs and websites done and holding events.  It's a machine - and it's one that an independent candidate has a hard time creating on their own.  Stephen Andrew didn't run as a slate this campaign - but the infrastructure was slate like.  It was doable because this byelection wasn't about attempting to fill 9 positions (8 councillors plus mayor).  It was also doable because this was SA's third kick at the can, so there's been a lot of learning the last two times.  In a general election maybe 3 or 4 of the candidates (absent slates) can muster that kind of campaign - because it takes a lot of man power.

Unfortunately, slates also mean poor candidates are uplifted and are more likely to be elected because of the power of the organization behind them.  I think we've seen that around the table - worse yet, there's an argument to be had that some who ran independently, weren't actually independent but were tangential to the slate.  Fixing the problem is tricky.  A ward system might be helpful - an independent with strong community roots might do be better in a ward system where "city wide" recognition is no longer needed.  As an example, Marg Gardiner might have done much better last election if James Bay was a ward as she has deep community roots there, but is less well known in other parts of town like Fernwood.  A ward system might also prevent certain neighbourhoods from being over represented on council.  Right now, there's an argument to be had that Fernwood/North Park are over represented on council.  Rules around how signs must look - or even the maximum quantity of signs allowed, standard web formats, and universal minimum media coverage might help level the playing field a bit.

• Stephen James and JimV like this

#2502 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 01:50 PM

Was Stephen Andrew part of a slate in the 2018 municipal general election?

#2503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 02:57 PM

Yes, New Council.

Andrew was #9 in that election, Reeve, Johal and Alberts 12-14, respectively.

The effect of the slate was clear, with 8,200, 7,700 and 7,500 votes. Andrew benefited from a prior run for mayor which gave him the upper hand to bear out Madoff and Lore, who coincidentally is now Victoria’s MLA.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2504 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:29 AM

Yes, New Council.

Andrew was #9 in that election, Reeve, Johal and Alberts 12-14, respectively.

The effect of the slate was clear, with 8,200, 7,700 and 7,500 votes. Andrew benefited from a prior run for mayor which gave him the upper hand to bear out Madoff and Lore, who coincidentally is now Victoria’s MLA.

The most frustrating thing with Lore is she posts pictures of herself wearing T-shirts saying "Very Serious Political Woman" and drinking beer, but refuses to answer a question from her constituent for 89 days straight now regarding Beacon Hill Park...  Something tells me that using parks in the way they've been used by Victoria is going to become more of the norm.  :whyme: (we need a puking smiling guy)....

• mbjj, A Girl is No one, Stephen James and 1 other like this

#2505 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:02 AM

The most frustrating thing with Lore is she posts pictures of herself wearing T-shirts saying "Very Serious Political Woman" and drinking beer, but refuses to answer a question from her constituent for 89 days straight now regarding Beacon Hill Park...  Something tells me that using parks in the way they've been used by Victoria is going to become more of the norm.  :whyme: (we need a puking smiling guy)....

Has Lore even stepped out of her safe space in Fernwood and met any voters yet?

• pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#2506 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:06 AM

Drinking beer in Tofino and posting it to social media is a bit odd for an MLA during an unnecessary travel curtailment, for sure.

There is kelp in my beer and I’m here for this west coast beauty 🌊🌊🍺 Thanks @Josie_Osborne and @TofinoBrewCo

#westcoast #bestcoast #CraftBeer #tofino #BritishColumbia

- December 18th https://twitter.com/...9409929217?s=21

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2507 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:10 AM

If Lore was stupid enough to travel, she was even stupider to post pictures of it! 

#2508 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:24 AM

It might just be the way it’s written, which implies travel, but maybe she’s just thanking the MLA and the brewery for the beer? It could be interpreted in several ways.

Anyways, not a big deal.

Know it all.

#2509 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 21 December 2020 - 10:05 AM

If Lore was stupid enough to travel, she was even stupider to post pictures of it! 

Lore may be smart enough to recognize how lucky she is and to STFU almost 100% of the time on any topic of import.

Sad state of affairs in politics.

Slates (I know, I know, the horse is dead, but I struggle...)

• Nparker likes this

#2510 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 21 December 2020 - 10:56 AM

Right now, there's an argument to be had that Fernwood/North Park are over represented on council. 

What's the basis for Fernwood/North Park being overrepresented on council? Is anyone other than Helps resident there?

My count would have the most represented neighbourhoods as Esquimalt and Saanich, each holding 2 councilors per 'ward'.

#2511 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 11:14 AM

That's not quite correct.

Helps and Loveday both lived in Fernwood in 2018, but Loveday has since moved to Esquimalt. Isitt's ex-wife lives in Fernwood, which became a talking point when a pocket park near her home became off-side for camping.

Potts and Collins live in James Bay, but Collins is now longer on council.

Know it all.

#2512 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:56 PM

What's the basis for Fernwood/North Park being overrepresented on council? Is anyone other than Helps resident there?

My count would have the most represented neighbourhoods as Esquimalt and Saanich, each holding 2 councilors per 'ward'.

I was counting Isitt as being Fernwood given his family ties there, I was also counting Loveday as North Park given his historical ties to the NPNA, and of course the Mayor is in Fernwood. Happy to see some balance restored with a councillor from Burnside Gorge now on council.  Ideally, absent a business, residential or property interest in Victoria, it'd be nice if not having any of the above would disqualify a person from seeking a council seat, or having to resign a council seat should they choose to move while in office.

• Redd42, A Girl is No one, TwilightZoneVictoria and 1 other like this

#2513 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 10:50 PM

It might just be the way it’s written, which implies travel, but maybe she’s just thanking the MLA and the brewery for the beer? It could be interpreted in several ways.

Anyways, not a big deal.

From a follow up Tweet:

“To be totally clear - definitely not in Tofino - definitely drank this beautiful beer in my living room with my household only. Definitely not travelling, definitely not seeing other households.”

https://twitter.com/...9475658753?s=21
  • Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#2514 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for the follow-up.

Know it all.

#2515 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 December 2020 - 01:05 PM

CoV posted SA being sworn in and of course some jerk has to make an asinine comment 

City of Victoria - Local Government - Posts | Facebook

Councillor Andrew was endorsed by at least one known white supremacist during his election campaign. Has he ever denounced that endorsement?

Sure shows the caliber of a person when they think this is ok. What an a$$ 

#2516 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 01:17 PM

Of course he can't denounce it, it would just give that idiot white supremicist's gripe oxygen. Ignore creeps.

• rmpeers and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#2517 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 01:45 PM

Now I'm curious to know who endorsed him? I'm not really aware of any notorious white supremacy groups or leaders in Victoria

#2518 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:01 PM

Oh, probably racist t-shirt seller. He's run for council before.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2519 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

Oh, probably racist t-shirt seller. He's run for council before.

That's who I was thinking.  Or somebody like aaron gunn

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#2520 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:24 PM

That's why crazy fringe people endorse politicians, they hope to get their name in the press.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users