Mod
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1150 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: now selling
Mod is a 15-storey condominium tower with ground floor commercial space along the 1100-block of Cook Street at... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mod on Citified.ca      Official website: https://modvictoria.com
Photo

[Downtown] Mod | Condos; retail | 15-storeys

• Please log in to reply
370 replies to this topic

#121 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:14 PM

^Launch, lunch, I don't care, as long as they serve Denver omelettes.

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:41 PM

If you're forcing* me to choose, I think I'd prefer a Flat Earth coffeehouse rather than another Starbucks.**

*Star Wars reference

**Battlestar Galactica reference

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#123 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

^As long as Lorne Greene is the spokesman. He hasn't had much restaurant work since Bonanza closed.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:05 PM

Pluto’s moving into the old San Remo space on Quadra. ...

I hope they do some upgrades to the space. The last time I was in San Remo it looked like it was close to being condemned.

#125 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:59 PM

If you're forcing* me to choose, I think I'd prefer a Flat Earth coffeehouse rather than another Starbucks.**

*Star Wars reference
**Battlestar Galactica reference

I dunno, that's some pretty Mickey Mouse wordplay compared to what we usually get from you

Edited by Jackerbie, 07 February 2021 - 02:59 PM.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 03:03 PM

this thread is getting goofy*

* goofy is similar to the other disney dog pluto.  pluto never wore human clothing though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2021 - 03:05 PM.

#127 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 03:48 PM

The mods are probably throwing a fit like Donald Duck right about now.

#128 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:33 PM

Will be nice to have a breakfast joint in my neighbourhood, though I don't expect the atmosphere will be anything like the former converted garage. Not a very car-friendly destination, but very walkable.

• GaryRanson likes this

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 06:03 PM

...I don't expect the atmosphere will be anything like the former converted garage...

Based on my last few dining experiences here, the atmosphere was most of what Pluto's had going for it. Still it was a fun place back in the day.

#130 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:23 AM

After 33 years on Cook Street, Brun Dahlquist is getting ready to pack up Pluto’s Diner — and that famous neon sign — and rocket north to Quadra Street Village.

He expects to open in late April in the former San Remo Restaurant space at 2709 Quadra St., just off Hillside Avenue.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24280019

It was converted initially to the Armadillo Restaurant and operated a short time before Dahlquist and partner Robert Chung took over and changed the name to Pluto’s. Chung retired a year ago.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2021 - 06:24 AM.

#131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:26 AM

Well that’s nice and positive. It wasn’t long ago that the headlines were all about a renoviction, now they’re rocketing to new digs. See? It all worked out.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#132 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:25 AM

This is going to Council's April 8 meeting for public comment.  I don't think it's considered a full 'public hearing' as there is not a request for rezoning.  Thus, I anticipate that the development permit could be issued following the meeting.  

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:43 AM

This would be a great time to issue a letter of support for the project. That whole quadrant is going to look markedly different in recent years, and this project is an important step in the area's improvement.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#134 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:16 PM

Fencing is up at the site now in preparation for demolition ...
  • zoomer and scotto203 like this

#135 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:38 AM

Does anyone know how this went at Council ?  Was the DP approved last night ...?

#136 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

Does anyone know how this went at Council ?  Was the DP approved last night ...?

I just watched the archived council meeting from Thursday night.  The development permit was approved on a 5-4 vote,   Councilors Young, Dubow, Isitt, and Thorton-Joe cast the 4 votes in dissent.

Mods:  time to update the thread title to show 'approved'.   :1954_dancing:

• zoomer likes this

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:18 AM

Fantastic! Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

#138 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:26 AM

Also, the developer is going to make a voluntary $50k contribution to the city's amenity fund, even though this is not technically required (as it is not a rezone).

#139 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:31 AM

...Councilors Young, Dubow, Isitt, and Thorton-Joe cast the 4 votes in dissent....

What reasons did Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber give for voting against the development permit?

#140 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:41 AM

What reasons did Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber give for voting against the development permit?

Both of them had wanted it referred back to staff.  I'm not sure about Dubow's reasoning, I think that Isitt wasn't happy with the height.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users