Photo

2020 Summer Olympics

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#101 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:47 PM

It must be pretty similar as I can’t think of a sport that has one sex but not the other.

Synchronised swimming?  Is rhythmic gymnastics (ribbon, ball, hoop) still a thing?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#102 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:48 PM

It must be pretty similar as I can’t think of a sport that has one sex but not the other.

synchronized swimming ???? North Shore ^^^^^ faster on the keyboard.

Edited by SimonH, 05 August 2021 - 01:49 PM.

#103 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:50 PM

Synchronised swimming?

https://vimeo.com/353695716

#104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:51 PM

synchronized swimming, softball and rhythmic gymnastics for women.

pummel horse, rings, baseball and decathlon for men.

speaking of decathlon, our guy that won it ran 1500m in ~4.5 minutes.  the world record (for 1500 only) is about 3.5 minutes.  that's quite a spread.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 01:55 PM.

#105 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:19 PM

^ The individual results are interesting.. He would have won the bronze medal in the Long Jump, for instance, made it into the semis for 100 and 110hurdles, and then not even qualified for other events.. That being said, they are doing 5 events per day, so perhaps if he was to focus on one, he'd be in the running for an individual medal.  On the other hand, wining that is a fantastic athletic achievement!

• Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#106 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:24 PM

I was thinking; if you put a gun to my head and forced me to compete (no practice):

Baseball might be my best chance. Striking out is no shame and I might even snag a slow-rolling grounder and not botch the throw to second--I might even be the game hero.

Best chance for humiliation: probably swimming. I'd run out of gas halfway and pathetically dog paddle to the closest side of the pool...much worse optics than any running event. Boxing would be sad to watch. Weightlifting and gymnastics would be dangerous and difficult to watch.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:28 PM

^ The individual results are interesting.. He would have won the bronze medal in the Long Jump, for instance, made it into the semis for 100 and 110hurdles, and then not even qualified for other events.. That being said, they are doing 5 events per day, so perhaps if he was to focus on one, he'd be in the running for an individual medal.  On the other hand, wining that is a fantastic athletic achievement!

they key is to combine them.  

for example, jump the third and fourth hurdle all in one jump and count that as your long jump.  increase the height of the last hurdle and count that as high jump.  then count the first 100m of your 400m run as your sprint.

seriously though (not really), why can't they just do the high jump over a series of lasers and then just determine the highest jump after one set of jumps?  same for pole vault.  or just have a big wall made of a series of thin slippery sticks.  you just jump up and crash through them at the highest point possible.  leaving as many thin sticks in place as possible.  

evil_kool_aid.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 02:38 PM.

#108 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:27 PM

pummel horse, rings, baseball and decathlon for men.

Mens 50 km racewalk is off the agenda and will not appear at Paris 2024. 

Canada's Evan Dunfee placed fifth today in the event's final Olympic appearance. 

I believe this event, which took place in Sapporo, is one of the only ones with actual spectators.

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:34 PM

I think I meant pommel horse.

Pummel horse is a scene from blazing saddles.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 03:34 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#110 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:38 PM

^So what event is your best bet for you to be competitive (or at least not humiliate yourself)?

• todd likes this

#111 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:39 PM

I was thinking; if you put a gun to my head and forced me to compete (no practice):

Baseball might be my best chance. Striking out is no shame and I might even snag a slow-rolling grounder and not botch the throw to second--I might even be the game hero.

Best chance for humiliation: probably swimming. I'd run out of gas halfway and pathetically dog paddle to the closest side of the pool...much worse optics than any running event. Boxing would be sad to watch. Weightlifting and gymnastics would be dangerous and difficult to watch.

I suspect most of our first attempts at pole vaulting would be interesting. And if someone has never been on a horse...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#112 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:42 PM

^So what event is your best bet for you to be competitive (or at least not humiliate yourself)?

i'm ok at table tennis.

• todd likes this

#113 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:45 PM

^Table tennis? What? Have you seen those guys? They go a thousand miles an hour. 

I suspect most of our first attempts at pole vaulting would be interesting. And if someone has never been on a horse...

I've never done it. I can't figure how they grip that pole so firmly they're able to launch themselves straight up in the air.

Edit: pole vaulting I mean, Not equestrian. Although horse-based pole vaulting would be good.

Edited by Rob Randall, 05 August 2021 - 03:46 PM.

#114 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:51 PM

Although horse-based pole vaulting would be good.

that's how jousting accidentally got invented.

the womans soccer final has been moved to a later time i think tomorrow (tonight).  check your TiVo if it was already set.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 03:52 PM.

#115 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:33 PM

Mens 50 km racewalk is off the agenda and will not appear at Paris 2024. 

Canada's Evan Dunfee placed fifth today in the event's final Olympic appearance. 

I believe this event, which took place in Sapporo, is one of the only ones with actual spectators.

#FakeNews. He actually just won a bronze ;)

#116 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:47 PM

speaking of decathlon, our guy that won it ran 1500m in ~4.5 minutes.  the world record (for 1500 only) is about 3.5 minutes.  that's quite a spread.

from sports-mad physicist john barrow

It is clear that there has been a significant bias towards gathering points in the long jump, hurdles and sprints (100m and 400m). Performances in these events are all highly correlated with flat-out sprinting speed. Conversely, the 1500m and the three throwing events are well behind the other disciplines in points scoring. If you want to coach a successful decathlete, start with a big strong sprint hurdler and build up strength and technical ability for the throws later. No decathletes bother much with 1500m preparation and rely on general distance running training. Ideally, we would expect there to be very little variance in this bar chart as we go from one event to another. In reality, the variations are huge and the scoring system is rather biased towards sprinter-jumpers. The women's heptathlon has a similar bias in its scoring tables, which greatly favours athletes like Jessica Ennis.

https://sport.maths....coring-points-0

• Greg and Victoria Watcher like this

#117 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:31 PM

babylon bee:

Olympic wrestler Tamyra Mensah-Stock was stripped of her gold medal Thursday after several of the athlete’s pro-USA comments were circulated online. A spokesman for the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) said there’s no place for that type of vulgar language in sports today. 

“The United States Olympic Committee stands for pretty much the opposite of what the United States of America stands for,” the spokesman said in a prepared statement. “We have enacted a strict no-patriotism policy for the Tokyo games which all athletes are required to uphold.” 

Ms. Mensah-Stock was already on probation with the USOC for failing to kneel during the national anthem. “Since her pro-USA comments were her second offense in as many days, we had no choice but to strip her of her gold medal,” the spokesman said.  

https://babylonbee.c...omments-surface

#118 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:40 AM

who is up watching the game?

#119 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:13 AM

Mohammed Ahmed has won Canada’s first Olympic medal in a men’s long distance track event, taking silver in the men’s 5000m.
https://olympic.ca/2...-at-tokyo-2020/

#120 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:42 AM

Canada weathered some early pressure, with Stephanie Labbé called into action to make important diving saves in the 17th and 29th minutes. But the Swedes had their breakthrough in the 34th minute, as Stina Blackstenius got behind the Canadian defence and found the back of the net.

Head coach Bev Preistman made some halftime adjustments, bringing in Julia Grosso to replace Quinn and Adriana Leon to replace Janine Beckie. Then in the 63rd minute, Deanne Rose entered the game in place of Nichelle Prince.

Shortly thereafter, Sinclair was fouled in the penalty area and the referee, after video review, awarded Canada a penalty kick. Just like in the semifinal against the United States, Jessie Fleming stepped up and scored to make it 1-1.

After a back-and-forth conclusion to the second half, the game headed to extra time. And after a back-and-forth half-hour of extra time, the game headed to penalty kicks.

Grosso, a 20-year-old first-time Olympian, scored the winning goal for Canada on the sixth round of penalty kicks. Fleming and Rose also scored for Canada in the shootout, while Labbe made two saves.

https://olympic.ca/2...-womens-soccer/

It is unlikely he knows his Maradonas from his Mar-a-Lagos but Donald Trump set his stall out Thursday as a soccer expert, tearing into the "leftist maniacs" of the national women's team for missing out on Olympic gold because they are too "woke."

The former president, who encouraged his supporters at a rally ahead of the Tokyo Games to boo the side, suggested falsely in a statement that the women had refused to stand for the national anthem during the tournament.

"If our soccer team, headed by a radical group of Leftist Maniacs, wasn't woke, they would have won the Gold Medal instead of the Bronze. Woke means you lose, everything that is woke goes bad, and our soccer team certainly has," the 75-year-old said.

The world champions had just beaten Australia 4-3 to secure third place, propelled to victory by talisman double goalsccorer Megan Rapinoe -- a touchstone for LGBT activism known for her brightly-dyed, choppy hairstyle.

But Trump was in no mood to congratulate Rapinoe, one of several gay players in the team, for a hard-fought medal in what could well be her swansong tournament before retirement.

"They should replace the wokesters with Patriots and start winning again," Trump fumed.

"The woman with the purple hair played terribly and spends too much time thinking about Radical Left politics and not doing her job!"

https://english.alar...c-football-team

Edited by amor de cosmos, 06 August 2021 - 07:54 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users