General church news

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:15 PM

^ Good thing you listened to him, John Cleese is a wise man. Anyone who knows so much about cheese is worth heeding:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Hz1JWzyvv8A

• todd and jasmineshinga like this

#22 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

Same with Ferris Bueller: https://youtu.be/91lJhEzMaH4

#23 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:45 PM

Freemasonry is not a religion, nor is it a substitute for religion. Insofar as a 'belief structure' it requires only of its members a belief in God/Supreme Being/Grand Architect as part of the obligation of every responsible member of the craft, but it advocates no sectarian faith or practice per se. Masonic ceremonies include prayers, both traditional and extempore, to re-affirm each individual's dependence on God and to seek divine guidance on the path to becoming a better man/husband/member of the community etc. While freemasonry is open to men of any faith, "religion" like politics may not be discussed at Masonic meetings.

What about the teachings within freemasonry itself. Are they just simply fact or a belief? Are you a 33 now?

#24 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:19 PM

The obligations taken by Freemasons are sworn on the Volume of the Sacred Law, typically a bible. They are undertakings to follow the principles of Freemasonry and to keep confidential a Freemason's means of recognition, among other things.

But there are basic beliefs common to all regular, mainstream Masonic organizations. The beliefs of Freemasonry can be boiled down to those three simple concepts, namely that Masons are taught to believe in:

Brotherly love: Love for each other and for all mankind;

Relief: Charity for others and mutual aid for fellow Masons;

Truth: The search for answers to the universal questions of morality and the salvation of the soul that only a man’s individual faith and his relationship with God can provide

You cannot 'become' or actively aspire to be a 33rd you have to be invited to that level, usually after many years of upstanding service; and only of course if you are a member of the AASR (Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite); otherwise in mainstream Craft lodges there is no 33rd degree. That is part of the AASR "rite" exclusively. I am a 32nd.

The thirty-three degrees of the Scottish Rite are conferred by several controlling bodies. The first of these is the aforementioned Craft Lodge, which confers the Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason degrees. Craft lodges operate under the authority of provincial and ultimately national Grand Lodges, not the Scottish Rite.

Attainment of the third Masonic degree, that of a Master Mason, represents the pinnacle of the highest rank in all of Masonry. Additional degrees such as those of the AASR are sometimes referred to as appendant degrees, even where the degree numbering might imply a hierarchy. It does not. A 32nd (or a 33rd) is not "higher" than a Master Mason, which as noted is the Third Degree of Freemasonry, conferred in and by a Craft Lodge. Rather the AASR degrees represent a lateral movement in Masonic education and teaching, rather than an upward movement, and are degrees of instruction rather than rank. All masons in a masonic lodge at or above the 3rd degree are therefore "equal" in that sense. 

Here are the degree structures of the Craft, the AASR and York Rites, respectively:

https://freemasonry....ic_degrees.html

Edited by AllseeingEye, 09 December 2019 - 04:12 PM.

• todd likes this

#25 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:10 PM

Well.  All hail our Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret, ASE!  :cheers: 

• AllseeingEye and todd like this

#26 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:10 PM

Saw Santa Claus a couple days ago he seem to single me out and told me to be good I told him I will do my best. Was that you?

#27 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:20 PM

Well.  All hail our Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret, ASE!  :cheers:[/size] [/size]

So what is the secret?

#28 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

Well.  All hail our Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret, ASE!  :cheers: 

Thanks lanford - I'll remember this* and you once we launch the New World Order. There will be a place for you in the new corporation...

* Do note  however that any resemblance to actual Prince's, living or dead, or actual events of a princely nature is and are purely coincidental. I'm no prince - as my wife is only too happy to remind me at any and every opportunity.....

• sdwright.vic and lanforod like this

#29 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:33 PM

Thanks lanford - I'll remember this* and you once we launch the New World Order. There will be a place for you in the new corporation...

* Do note  however that any resemblance to actual Prince's, living or dead, or actual events of a princely nature is and are purely coincidental. I'm no prince - as my wife is only too happy to remind me at any and every opportunity.....

:bow:

#30 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

^ Yes you too Todd we'll have something for you to do as well :).

Funny story re: mainstream churches; I usually attend Catholic Christmas service at my wife's church, St Joseph the Worker at McKenzie/Burnside. They do a lovely Christmas service and the building is always jam packed for all of the Children's mass, the Family Mass (the one we go to) and Midnight Mass.

One year I forgot about my AASR/masonic ring which I happened to be wearing - but a couple of the older parishioners spotted it which made for, um..."interesting" conversation inasmuch as the Catholic Church and Freemasonry have been at odds off and on for 300 years. In was fine in the end and we ultimately parted on jolly good terms as 'twas the Season and all, but I had some 'splaining to do to a couple of older devout Catholic gents :)

Edited by AllseeingEye, 09 December 2019 - 04:13 PM.

#31 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:29 PM

Thank you. I have a rake. I was under the impression we were in the New World Order?

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

All you'll need at the initiation is a vat of cooking oil, the ability to sit blindfolded and backwards on a goat and be comfortable with your body. We'll take care of the rest...

#33 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:33 PM

Damn this is why I never joined the skull and bones society
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:46 PM

Funny story re: mainstream churches; I usually attend Catholic Christmas service at my wife's church, St Joseph the Worker at McKenzie/Burnside. They do a lovely Christmas service and the building is always jam packed for all of the Children's mass, the Family Mass (the one we go to) and Midnight Mass.

One year I forgot about my AASR/masonic ring which I happened to be wearing - but a couple of the older parishioners spotted it which made for, um..."interesting" conversation inasmuch as the Catholic Church and Freemasonry have been at odds off and on for 300 years. In was fine in the end and we ultimately parted on jolly good terms as 'twas the Season and all, but I had some 'splaining to do to a couple of older devout Catholic gents :)

Thought I recognized you there once...

Those KoC take their stuff seriously too!  :banana:

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

Low standard for entry, however.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:49 PM

Thought I recognized you there once...

Those KoC take their stuff seriously too!  :banana:

I know several KoC guys they're generally good people although unlike FM's they are an evangelical arm of the Church expressly dedicated naturally to promoting its beliefs and values. We often joke about having a "ring duel" at twenty paces.

Historically, organizationally, they are about 150 years younger than FM. Like FM though they have evolved into essentially a community service organization. Naturally their degree structure is unique to the organization and bears no resemblance whatsoever to that of FM.

That said officially there have been at least eleven papal bullas or pronouncements barring Catholics from joining FM; in my experience particularity in this part of North America no one really gives a rat's damn what some guy in a funny robe and hat in Rome says or thinks, as I know many Catholics who have been members of our lodges, Rome's "threat" of excommunication being rather a hollow one at best. One of the major issues the Catholic Church had with FM was that the latter was comprised of free thinkers and - horrors! - even men of science who for the most part rejected the rigid Catholic doctrines and views of man's relationship with God which in large part explains why Rome was and, to a degree, remains very wary of FM.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:30 AM

Hey now, that guy in a funny robe and hat in Rome doesn't particularly care what bunch of guys in aprons with secret handshakes think, either.

But back on topic, the fraternities had their place/made sense when North America was being settled and waves of newcomers from Europe or wherever knew nobody upon arrival in [insert city or town]. These newcomers joined fraternities to develop a network of contacts which was beneficial for business and employment purposes. The sandwiches and beer just sweetened the deal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

Hey now, that guy in a funny robe and hat in Rome doesn't particularly care what bunch of guys in aprons with secret handshakes think, either.

But back on topic, the fraternities had their place/made sense when North America was being settled and waves of newcomers from Europe or wherever knew nobody upon arrival in [insert city or town]. These newcomers joined fraternities to develop a network of contacts which was beneficial for business and employment purposes. The sandwiches and beer just sweetened the deal.

Mm....I think over 200 years of repeated Papal pronouncements/warnings to their flock on the subject of FM tends to suggest otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia..._of_Freemasonry

LOL....a state of "grave sin" my a**: given the stained history of the church of Rome that's a pretty rich statement coming from any Pope, from any era.

FM of course has no 'global' hierarchy or leadership caste purporting to speak for all, so it truly does not pay Rome generally, and the papacy in particular, much attention. As noted on a purely local level we've never done anything other than generally get along quite well.

#39 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

I think this belongs here: https://www.cbc.ca/n...video-1.5392438

#40 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:16 PM

^ Hour later: https://youtu.be/hecXupPpE9o

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users