Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Union | Condos | 5- and 5-storeys | Built - Completed in 2014

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this lot yet, so here it is.
bambu.jpg

Sifting through http://www.businessvi.ca I came across a little blurb on this lot:

Amadon recently sold the property that would have been home to the Bambu condos, and is looking to build a 2,.8 acre residential/commercial development in Mill Bay.

Anyone have any details on this? Who bought it, etc?

#2 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

I understand that the "Buckerfield" lands currently aka Bambu was sold to Anthem Properties, current owner of Market Square.

Perhaps it would be better to name this thread as the Buckerfield Property and Theatre Alley..

Since Theatre Alley has been blocked for several years now, it might get forgotten..

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

That quote from businessvi.ca was from a Feb 10th, 2007 release.
Therefore it's been sold again.

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

There's still an alley somewhere in there? Or is this one of those things where the city is requiring another through block walkway, even if there's nothing along it?

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:45 PM

It's on the Interweb.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

Holden West risks life, limb and capture by flat-foot rent-a-cops to bring you the inside pics:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

Did you get burnt by security?
Rebel.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

No cop's ever caught me. I'm like mercury on a greased ice cube, baby.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

Theatre Alley is a former walkway that used to be on this property at the far East end.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

Do the owners of this lot have to pay the city for the lost parking revenue out front due to the cement blocks that are used to help hold up the burnt building?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

Good question. Perhaps insurance covers that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:52 AM

Am I misunderstanding something here? Amadon was the Bambu developer, yes? Thus, the reference to Amadon's recent sale of the property must refer to the events of late 2005, when Anthem acquired it.

Regarding that Theatre Alley website and the news item about the plan for a parkade in Chinatown:

Merchants in the Market Square, Chinatown, and Store Street area have suffered from lack of parking, he (Deputy City Engineer Clive Timms) said.

This statement was made in 1987. No new parking has been built around there since then (nothing significant, anyway). So are the merchants still suffering from lack of parking or did the problem magically go away?

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

You're right, aastra. AFAIK, the land is still owned by Anthem (owners of Market Square). No new news here.

#14 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

Theatre Alley is a former walkway that used to be on this property at the far East end.

One morning I was speaking about the former Theatre and Theatre Alley with my early morning associates...

One of them mentioned that he hadn't seen people from a store in Market Sq. come in to "The Bean" since they started the Bambu project - parking lot closed.. Closed pathway means resistribution of the coffee and muffin market eh?

If you look at the sign that the Downtown Residential Assoc has posted to mark mark their work on tarting up the penetenitary fencing around the site you will see that they have noted Theatre Alley..

If any of you have crossed through there when the site was a parking lot, you may have seen Theatre Alley marked out with survey graffitii on the pavement..

It's been there a long time as part of the community...

Earlier this year someone posted a 1910? landuse map which included Chinatown and the Chinese Theatre was shown on it..

Lest we forget... in our haste to disparge mid block walkways...

In thinking about them and their value for a Vibrant Victoria, go look at the floor plan of the Mayfair and Hillside Malls and remember that the designers have incorporated many of them in their layouts.. - just like some of the wonderful urban spaces with lots of (groan) "permeability" for the pedestrian (shopper)...

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

You're right, aastra. AFAIK, the land is still owned by Anthem (owners of Market Square). No new news here.

What the hell? That article was dated feb 10th 2007.
Does 2 years ago constitute a recent event? :smt102
Whatever. Sorry for the confusion.

#16 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:29 PM

GumGum..

Was good to get site back on people's radar..

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Merchants and businesses are still suffering from lack of parking... for staff as much as customers. Some of the employees at Swans still need to run out every so often to plug metres.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

The alley markings photo and 1910 map Icebergalley mentions are in the history link I posted above.

Vibrant Victorians like good walkways and hate bad ones. I think a revived Theatre Alley could be a good one.

#19 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

Al walkway through that property would be good as long as there are things in the walkway, like residential entrances or stores. Like Fan Tan alley.

#20 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

With retail all the way up the alley I think it would work great. Dragon Alley is nice, and Fan Tan alley is marvelous.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users